Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was lucky to be able to test ride both the HD trike and the spyder twice before making up my mind. Thank goodness for those test rides. However, what test riding the spyder didn't clue me into was the many little quirks and inconveniences that come along with owning a spyder. IE; airing up the rear tire and replacing all the inferior parts BRP chose to build into their product.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    Ever bike, both new and used, that I have purchased has always been available to test ride PRIOR to my purchasing. I would NEVER purchase either a new automoble OR a new motorcycle without being able to drive/ride off the dealers lot. It has always been my understanding that dealers get special consideration from the Mfr. for demo autos/mcs. Is this no longer the case?
    BRP sells Skii-Doo and Sea-Doo at the same dealership where I purchased my Can Am. I don’t think they offer those buyers any test rides either. What could you possibly learn from a test ride in the dealership parking lot versus a static test on the showroom floor anyway?
    2021 Spyder RT Limited Asphalt Gray Chrome Edition
    2022 Spyder RT Limited Hyper Silver Chrome Edition
    Spyderco Paramilitary 2
    Vanquest Gen 2 7x10 First Aid Trauma Pack
    Garage Door Opener
    iPass
    DJI Action 2
    Tackform Anti-Vibe Phone Cradle
    UltraGard Full Covers
    Show Chrome rear trunk lid lift strut
    Noco Genius 1
    Noco GBX Booster X
    Show Chrome Platinum Grande Adjustable Padded Driver Backrest with Storage Pouch
    Baseus Cordless Inflator

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodenfish View Post
    BRP sells Skii-Doo and Sea-Doo at the same dealership where I purchased my Can Am. I don’t think they offer those buyers any test rides either. What could you possibly learn from a test ride in the dealership parking lot versus a static test on the showroom floor anyway?
    With that reasoning, I take it that you test drive an automoble that you’re looking at by moving it in the parking lot also. As far as I’m concerned a test ride is a ride out on the street and travel at least one or two miles, preferably, if you’re an actual interested buyer, for an hour or two ride (dealers can spot interested folks). I have ALWAYS had this opportunity.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/us/en...xperience.html
    Went last year. It was stupid-fun. Got about an hour on each one out on the road. Able to ride an F3, RTL & Ryker.
    2014 STS

Spyder Garage

I haven't ready through all the comments so apologies if this has been covered, but even better than a brief test ride is renting one for the day:
    https://www.riders-share.com
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

I was able to test ride a used 2010 RT at my dealer. They offered me a test ride on the new 2018 they had but I would have had to make an appointment. Instead, I took the leap and got my 2014 from Imotorsports. Definitely needed the test ride though.

Just found out the Can-Am Experience is here today and tomorrow. Wish I'd know that a few days ago. But now I'm scheduled to try out an F3 and maybe a Ryker tomorrow.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-05-2023 at 08:33 AM. Reason: st - at ;-)
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodenfish View Post
    I took my Basic Three Wheel Motorcycle course and obtained my license on a Ryker. There really is no reason to test drive the bikes that I could find. Either you are comfortable with the seating position and the price or you are not. I have never seen a motorcycle that had a dealer license plate ready for a test drive anytime in my life.
    You have never been to a BMW dealer. They have several for test rides, and loaner bikes. I for one would not lay out almost $30,000 without a test ride! You want my money? Earn it! Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gitoa View Post
    Jacksonville
    I will be following this thread as I am moving to Daytona Beach on May 31st and will need a new dealer. My last one in Purcellville VA, Moto Member, was fantastic. Gonna be hard to beat them for sure.
    2020 Spyder RTL Chalk/Black
    2020 RTL , Chalk / Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DT5534 View Post
    I will be following this thread as I am moving to Daytona Beach on May 31st and will need a new dealer. My last one in Purcellville VA, Moto Member, was fantastic. Gonna be hard to beat them for sure.
    I live in Daytona Beach. Have a great dealer in Sanford, "Seminole Powersports". Daytona had a great dealer, they sold to "Ride Now". Haven't been there for service since the sale. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Same thing happened to me. I filled out the test ride form, dealer contacted me by phone, I told them I wanted to test ride a Spyder RTL, they said sure, come on in. I showed up the next Saturday and told them I was there for a test ride. “We don’t allow test rides”. I ended up buying anyway, but had my reservations about buying such a different vehicle without being able to test it first.
    Scott (slhanks004)
    Gilbert, AZ USA

2022 Spyder RT Limited - Carbon Black
    • Pedal commander
    • Baja Ron sway bar
    • TricLED tail lights
    • TricLED driving lights
    • Corbin seat
    • BRP rider backrest
    • Lamonster topcuff (2) w/ RAM mounts
    • 12v/USB docking station
    • Garmin Zumo XT
    • RLS cat delete pipe
    • IPS highway pegs
    • IPS belt tensioner
    2022 RT-L , Carbon black

Spyder Garage

Call other dealers and find one that will allow a test ride. My local dealer told me they don't do it. Another dealer an hour away handed me the keys.

--Exco
    2021 RT-L only has a few cosmetic mods

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Excoastie View Post
    Call other dealers and find one that will allow a test ride. My local dealer told me they don't do it. Another dealer an hour away handed me the keys.

--Exco
    Hopefully that will be the ..LAST Lie they will tell you ...... IMHO I doubt that will be the case .... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    With that reasoning, I take it that you test drive an automoble that you’re looking at by moving it in the parking lot also. As far as I’m concerned a test ride is a ride out on the street and travel at least one or two miles, preferably, if you’re an actual interested buyer, for an hour or two ride (dealers can spot interested folks). I have ALWAYS had this opportunity.
    Cars, motorcycles, no difference between the two when purchasing them. “Take as much time as you need and bring it back when you’re ready to buy.” I can see that happening.
    2021 Spyder RT Limited Asphalt Gray Chrome Edition
    2022 Spyder RT Limited Hyper Silver Chrome Edition
    Spyderco Paramilitary 2
    Vanquest Gen 2 7x10 First Aid Trauma Pack
    Garage Door Opener
    iPass
    DJI Action 2
    Tackform Anti-Vibe Phone Cradle
    UltraGard Full Covers
    Show Chrome rear trunk lid lift strut
    Noco Genius 1
    Noco GBX Booster X
    Show Chrome Platinum Grande Adjustable Padded Driver Backrest with Storage Pouch
    Baseus Cordless Inflator

Spyder Garage

I'm amazed that any dealer can stay in business if they do not allow for demo rides. I was a 2 wheel rider for almost 40 years when I decided I either needed to go to a lighter bike (lighter than my 900 pound Honda Goldwing) or go to 3 wheels. I was mentally not really ready to go to 3 wheels, but at my wife's request called the Can Am dealer near me and asked about a demo ride on a Spyder. I was offered the chance to ride whatever I wanted, a Ryker, F3 or an RT. I chose the RT and it only took me about 5 minutes of riding to decide that this was what I wanted. I have no doubt that if I had not been able to get a demo ride I would have ended up buying a new Triumph T120 instead. When I took my demo ride, the salesman said to me "Take it for as long as you want, just make sure you are back before closing time in about 4 hours". My demo ride was about 30 minutes and I thoroughly enjoyed the ride. I can't imagine buying a new vehicle of any type without having the chance to ride/drive it first.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

I went through 3 dealers looking to purchase a new spyder they refused to call me back they wanted me to call them back at a specific time. I gave up on a Spyder .I I walked into a dealer in Gaylord MI upon wifes insistance who treated me great and they were outstanding to deal with and wanted my business.. I put my deposit on a new 2022 RT that day my delivery was postpned due to parts and I had to wait. They were in continuous contact with me and when it was delivered everything was perfect. no hassles everything perfect... Its a shame had to travel over 200 miles to buy a Spyder when I had 3 dealerships within 20 miles.
    So whatever they're doing in Gaylord MI BRP should use them as a model

JUST SAYING
    Last edited by retdpd; 05-07-2023 at 01:54 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    I'm amazed that any dealer can stay in business if they do not allow for demo rides. I was a 2 wheel rider for almost 40 years when I decided I either needed to go to a lighter bike (lighter than my 900 pound Honda Goldwing) or go to 3 wheels. I was mentally not really ready to go to 3 wheels, but at my wife's request called the Can Am dealer near me and asked about a demo ride on a Spyder. I was offered the chance to ride whatever I wanted, a Ryker, F3 or an RT. I chose the RT and it only took me about 5 minutes of riding to decide that this was what I wanted. I have no doubt that if I had not been able to get a demo ride I would have ended up buying a new Triumph T120 instead. When I took my demo ride, the salesman said to me "Take it for as long as you want, just make sure you are back before closing time in about 4 hours". My demo ride was about 30 minutes and I thoroughly enjoyed the ride. I can't imagine buying a new vehicle of any type without having the chance to ride/drive it first.
    This is exactly the way my dealer treated me, and I might add....is exactly the way it SHOULD be. $30,000.00 is a good chunk of change. If I’m laying out that much, I WANT TO KNOW WHAT I’M GETTING. If I had NOT been allowed a test ride, I would not be on my Spyder today. I really wonder if we would be reading all the complaints about the Spyders if the the complainer had test rode their unit BEFORE purchase. Don’t really know, not do I really care....I just know that I love my RTS.

Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

Spyder Garage

A dealer told me the same thing. However, I knew it wasn't true b/c their other location offered demo rides by appointment. The salesperson basically treated me as if I were a nuisance until he asked how I was planning to finance. I laughed & told him I'm not financing. I'm paying cash. Well, he changed his tune and so did I. I purchased from a different dealer
    Not saying that your dealer is being dishonest. Find another dealer willing to allow a demo(or even a guided demo) or try renting a Spyder. If possible, check to see if there is a Can-Am experience happening anywhere near you and register for that.
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    I live in Daytona Beach. Have a great dealer in Sanford, "Seminole Powersports". Daytona had a great dealer, they sold to "Ride Now". Haven't been there for service since the sale. Tom
    Hi Tango,

Thanks for the info and heads up on the dealing in Daytona. I was going to check them out once I get moved and ride the SpYder down from Durham NC.

Are there any SpYder Clubs in the Daytona Beach area that you belong to or ride with?

Thanks,

Dan
    2020 Spyder RTL Chalk/Black
    2020 RTL , Chalk / Black

Spyder Garage

I am in the process of looking for a Spyder to rent.

I rented a Harley Tri Glide from Eagle Riders, and that was a great experience.

I wish things weren't so difficult, and these dealers are not doing themselves any favors. If they treat a potential customer in this manner, it makes me very leery of their ability to service the bikes. Hopefully, I am wrong about all my perceptions.

Spyder Garage

Harley Davidson dealer in Jacksonville has no problems with a test ride. Have bought and test-ridden four bikes from them.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gitoa View Post
    Newby here. Longtime lurker but have rarely posted.

I took the 3-wheel rider course to get my endorsement in Florida.

I filled out the demo request on the Can-Am website. I was contacted by a local dealership representative by text, which I thought was odd. Car dealers always call. Anyway, he tells me demos are not possible. I ask if this is because of a lack of inventory. He said no, the dealer just doesn't allow test drives.

They had only Ryker 600s in the class, so that is the extent of my experience.

I am really more interested in the F3 and RT units, but without even the briefest of demo rides, I can't see how I could venture out and buy one.

Any suggestions? BTW, Customer Service at Can-Am at 888-272-9222 could provide no assistance or solution. I am willing to travel in the Southeast to make it happen, but they are making it difficult. It is interesting Harley has no problem demoing their units.

Thanks in advance.
    Find another dealer

Spyder Garage

I had to basically make a $500 down payment on the 22 RTL that I wanted to test drive. They said if I didn’t like it I could have my money back. The $500 was supposedly the fee for assembling it out of the crate. They had 2 still in the crates. One was the Black edition and the other was the Chrome edition. I ended up buying the bike and the $500 went to my down payment. I just couldn’t believe all the extra charges they added on to the price of the bike. Probably $3000 more dollars added on.

Spyder Garage

Y
    Quote Originally Posted by dad2468 View Post
    I had to basically make a $500 down payment on the 22 RTL that I wanted to test drive. They said if I didn’t like it I could have my money back. The $500 was supposedly the fee for assembling it out of the crate. They had 2 still in the crates. One was the Black edition and the other was the Chrome edition. I ended up buying the bike and the $500 went to my down payment. I just couldn’t believe all the extra charges they added on to the price of the bike. Probably $3000 more dollars added on.
    My opinion? It’s all a bunch of Bull Hockey. They saw you coming and started rubbing their hands. If it was me, I would have told them to get stuffed and then walk out the door and NEVER LOOK BACK! My blood pressure starts to rise whenever I see another posting to this thread. Buttttttt....... that’s just my opinion. If I was told no test rides period, I’d be gone.....just like the wind.

Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dad2468 View Post
    Back in 2014 I bought a new RT .... the ADD-ON was a small document fee, they put a Temp. plate on it and drove it home ..... But that was then , this is now ..... .... Mike