Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Angry BRP Go! is going...going...GONE!!

Howdy do to all,

Firstly, I KNOW there is/are a thread(s) about BRP Connect and perhaps BRP Go!. But I don't want to hang this on a thread running many pages long. [Mods, feel free to move this post, however].

I have almost a decade of product support for all things Google, and I know a bit about tech and apps. I gotta say that BRP Go! and its progeny apps are the most arcane, clunky and kludgy I have ever encountered. The navigation apps/maps portion is balky at best, the music radio thing is from the era of hard drives and floppy discs, and AccuWeather is just so-so.

Using the screen control gimbal to get to the app you want is a 1st gen gamer stick. Even then, if you mispush the thing on the app you want, you might just get bounced back to square one. Doing any gimbal stuff in the dopey maps app will surely result being popped back to the main app screen. Restricting the maps app usage to anything but a "premium" account is a pure grift.

I have had direct communication with the app devs, and received pretty much of a brush off.

So off it came. BT via my trusty Pixel 7 Pro, Google Maps, Spotify downloads for offline use, is the name of my tune.

Your rants most welcomed...
    Ride safe; shiny side up, greasy side down.

best,
    linguine

2020 RT Limited , Chalk Gray

Spyder Garage

I just purchased an 2020 Spyder rt Limited, and wanted toi connect to the BRP app and display stuff on the Dash.

Well, to my surprise, an Android does not work, I get USB Malfunction, so I tried my wife's I Phone it connected.

I'm NOT going to get a I Phone, when there are items called Android Auto and Apple Car Play.

Rant concluded
    Loving my 2020 RT-L

Spyder Garage

Somehow, I am getting the feeling that you are a little disappointed with your 'Premium', BRP components!

BRPJets.jpg

They build these. You'd think they could build a radio and map app that worked.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 05-01-2023 at 02:10 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Yeah.

BRP went the route of a proprietary app rather than paying fees to Apple or Google for Car Play or Auto. Some car mfrs tried that a few years back; all have capitulated, AFAIK. Well....maybe Rolls Royce holds out still...

best,
    linguine

Spyder Garage

Yeah, Ron. Fully agree.

Maybe BRP Go! and associated apps are big in Canada, or Germany, or elsewhere.

best,
    linguine

Spyder Garage

I too am a techno-weenie (retired). Entire career in tech support for hardware, software, & networking.
    When I got my 2020 RT in 2020 I attempted to use the BRP Connect and gave up. As mentioned, the technology is barely 1 step above MS-DOS. Requiring both BT & USB plus poor app implementation in today's world is head-scratching.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

For 32Kout the door it should have come with apple car play.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Everyone out west calls it BRP DON'T CONNECT

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

maybe you tech guys are trying to hard.
    I'm simple and it works well for me with music, phone calls, and GPS.
    A few small glitches every now and then, but my computer and android has small glitches and need restarts also.

FOBO requires an Iphone to update them and I don't have one.....why would you make a product that can only use one brand of phone?
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    A few small glitches every now and then, but my computer and android has small glitches and need restarts also.

FOBO requires an Iphone to update them and I don't have one.....why would you make a product that can only use one brand of phone?
    Maybe is more like BRP over complicated. Having the older dash & stand alone GPS worked fine K.I.S.S (Keep It Super Simple){other variations available} Just an opinion
    Last edited by Bfromla; 05-01-2023 at 06:12 PM.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post

If you got it to connect with an Android and BRP Go and Connect, how did you do it.

I cannot. I get USB malfunction when plugging in phone to the USB adapter.
    Loving my 2020 RT-L

Spyder Garage

Sometimes you only get what you pay for and sometimes less. For some reason i don't think BRP paid very much, and they still didn't get their moneys worth.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

I have never even tried to connect anything to my Spyder not used the radio. My Samsung Galaxy and my wife's, son's and I's helmet BT works just fine for all our needs.

I try to "NOT" use the push button menu system unless I really really have to.

Android Auto, Prime audio, Sirius XM and Google maps is all I use in my 21 Yukon.

I am really happy with that setup.
    Last edited by GFrog; 05-01-2023 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Added a bit more.
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky Mystery Blue
    2009 Suzuki Boulevard M50 SE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SLICE View Post
    For 32Kout the door it should have come with apple car play.
    For us Googler-types, Android Auto.

best,
    linguine

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rustin921 View Post
    If you got it to connect with an Android and BRP Go and Connect, how did you do it.

On Android, you need to re-jigger the USB for Data [really, that is the default. See Settings App, then Search for USB

best,
    linguine

Spyder Garage

Before I took delivery of my 22 RT Limited I bought a Garmin XT. I've never even considered BRP Connect.
    Frank Ferrante
    2022 Can Am Spyder RT Limited Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    2016 Moto Guzzi Eldorado

Spyder Garage

This thread makes my really happy that I have a 2017 without all of that newfangled mumbo-jumbo that by all accounts was DOA in 2018, and now it's like a zombie apocalypse (The Last of Us?) that just keeps blowing up with no sign of ever getting any better.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Familiarity with something makes it nice and easy to use. Garmin and TomTom have been around for years and it’s taken just as long to get to like it. Smartphone integration will take just as long to understand it because many can’t figure out how to work it. HD Connect, BMW’s TFT system plus other bike makers will come out with their own system and it all does the same thing.

It integrates a smartphone (which is more than just a phone) into the vehicle’s dash. It’s not really that hard and I find it easy to use. Love it. I know a few Goldwing owners that have the ACP but don’t use it for the same reason mentioned here.

Smartphone integration will soon become standard and if you can’t figure out how simple it is, it’ll be your loss.

The only other choice is to come up with your own system if you think you can do better. So best to get used to it cause it ain’t going away.
    Last edited by Flamewinger; 05-02-2023 at 12:25 AM.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

I've tried a couple of times, my biggest gripe is Go can just dump you whenever it feels like. At least that is the way it seems. My phone is a recent model, IOS is up-to-date, and apps are updated, but I will be riding happily along and then silence. Stop, shut down, reboot, and do the connection sequence. Not worth the headache for me.

My solution so far is a data blocker on the USB cable from the glove box, and bluetooth maps and music to the bike. Only thing I miss is phone calls to the Cardo, and those can wait until I stop anyway. If urgent, family knows how to get to me. I am interested in the stand-alone Apple Car Play monitors, if they can bluetooth to the bike, ONLY because a little bigger screen for maps would be nice. My eyes are telling me bigger picture would help!

Not really a rant, just telling how it is. Integrated Car Play would be the bee's knees for me. Maybe my next Spyder will have that.........
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

I have a 2017 and feel the same way, so Glad I didn’t get the 18! Dad when he upgraded his spyder had to go with the new BRP app. He uses Sena for his communications. He hates cell phones. We had to put a garmin on it for him. He loves his music and thats his biggest gripe. He needs his darn phone instead of iPod. We can’t BT his old iPod in because it can’t be updated so that’s useless. His biggest gripe is no matter where you keep that phone, inside or outside the bike in Arizona, it gets hot and shuts down. So the App is useless if the phone can’t work. It’s also useless if there’s no cell coverage which is from Arizona to Montana through the mountains and Also southern Arizona and New Mexico. No signal! He hates it. His only gripe about the new spyder is the stupid need for Cell phone. That will be mine too. I have no signal at my house and hate the cell phone. I use a track phone with no data. Cost me $4.99 a month and I can make a call or text if i need to. Thats all I need on the road. I’ll be screwed when I have to switch. The other gripe is most phones only update so far and then the app won’t work. So a perfectly good working phone that is 4 years old has to be thrown away and you are forced to buy an new $800+ phone every so many years. Why does life have to evolve around the phone?

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

BRP Go is not made by BRP but a software company that makes these connect products for other motorcycles as well. BRP does not have anything to do with the way the apps work on the bike but rather the application developers that do the interfacing with BRP Go. Other issues are related how the smart phones work. If you do some research, you will see that most bike manufactures are plagued with the same type of issues.

1. You only need BRP Go if you display the apps in the dash; music only, you just need to be connected via Bluetooth.
    2. Make sure your dash has the latest firmware and you have the latest BRP Go app.
    3. BRP Go app has to be allowed to be on top or the active app all the time.
    4. Your phones lock screen cannot be active while using BRP Go, so set your phone to not lock while plugged in to power.
    5. Make sure to go in to the battery manager and set BRP Go and the apps you use with it to never sleep.
    6. Your USB port on the phone needs to be set to do data, normally default setting.
    7. The USB cable between the phone and bike has to be a data cable.
    8. To use BRP Go both the USB cable needs to be connected and Bluetooth connected.
    9. If you turn off the bike, be sure to unlock your phone when you start the bike so BRP Go can reconnect to the bike.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-02-2023 at 04:14 PM. Reason: does;+ ;-)
    2021 Syder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rustin921 View Post

It is weird, you can't connect your Bluetooth first and then just plug in the usb and have it work. You must follow the instructions on the phone given by BRPGO and pair the phone through the app. If you pair the bluetooth of the phone to the spyder without going through the app and not doing it in the order it requests, it will not work.
    I just got a new phone and tried to pair with the settings of the old phone that transfered to the new one. It would not work. I had to remove the pairing and start through the steps through BRP go as it requested.
    When I follow the steps, it works every time.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shardt View Post
    BRP Go is not made by BRP but a software company that makes these connect products for other motorcycles as well. BRP does not have anything to do with the way the apps work on the bike but rather the application developers that do the interfacing with BRP Go. Other issues are related how the smart phones work. If you do some research, you will see that most bike manufactures are plagued with the same type of issues.

1. You only need BRP Go if you display the apps in the dash; music only, you just need to be connected via Bluetooth.
    2. Make sure your dash has the latest firmware and you have the latest BRP Go app.
    3. BRP Go app has to be allowed to be on top or the active app all the time.
    4. Your phones lock screen cannot be active while using BRP Go, so set your phone to not lock while plugged in to power.
    5. Make sure to go in to the battery manager and set BRP Go and the apps you use with it to never sleep.
    6. Your USB port on the phone needs to be set to do data, normally default setting.
    7. The USB cable between the phone and bike has to be a data cable.
    8. To use BRP Go both the USB cable needs to be connected and Bluetooth connected.
    9. If you turn off the bike, be sure to unlock your phone when you start the bike so BRP Go can reconnect to the bike.
    All GREAT information and correct.
    You can set "smart lock" on your phone so that when it is close to your Spyder and BRP GO, it will unlock the screen for you automatically. Then when you turn the bike off and restart it, no screen swipe is needed.
    I use the same thing for my smart watch, truck, and bluetooth speakers at home.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-02-2023 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When I look back at the things BRP still don't get right from an engineering perspective,
    • Two speedos that can't concurr on the speed (yes I know it can be adjusted but, jeez just damn well fix it BRP)
    • A clock that cant keep time. I've seen a potato powered clock keep better time.
    • Sprockets... nuff said
    • Park brake locking on
    • Radio reception that is worse than my toy crystal radio I had as a kid, I could listen to my local station at my grandparents 50kms away, my Spyder can't.
    • their choice of tyres for the product....
    • Water ingress into places like the top box.

I shudder at the thought of them doing any software like this. I am an I.T. contractor and like you have no desire at all to get tangled up in BRP apps. I point my clients to well written, well supported, intuative software when they need me to locate something and BRP cant do any of these.
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

No rant here. I use it and it works great for me.
    2022 Spyder RT Petrol Metallic Blue.
    2022 RT , Petrol Blue