Spyder Garage

Default Trailer Choices - what options & pros/cons? Recommendations?

Hi everyone,

Looking at getting a trailer for my 2021 S2S. In Canada it appears my only options are a CanAm Freedom trailer or a Lugg and Roll trailer. Just curious about the pros and cons of each and what is the best recommendation?

Thank you

Thomas
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-27-2023 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the questions... ;-)

Spyder Garage

If you're looking at the Lugg B2B then the specs are really close to the same as the Freedom trailer so it would come down to price and which one that you prefer.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A "tag along", they should be about $500. I paid $200 for mine a few years ago. Pulls great lightweight and inexpensive.

Spyder Garage

I was thinking of the Regular lugg and roll. love the idea of it standing upright. is there a benifit to the b2b? it look like it was a smaller capacity but had a carrying rack one it. do you know if it can stand upright?

cant seem to find a tag along. do you have a link?

also canam says the freedom trailer was designed for the spyder and the easiest to tow and aerodynamics and what not. is there any truth to this?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tomknotts View Post
    I was thinking of the Regular lugg and roll. love the idea of it standing upright. is there a benifit to the b2b? it look like it was a smaller capacity but had a carrying rack one it. do you know if it can stand upright?

also canam says the freedom trailer was designed for the spyder and the easiest to tow and aerodynamics and what not. is there any truth to this?
    Not IMHO ..... Dealers and BRP claim lots of things ..... it's called Marketing ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tomknotts View Post
    The small Harbor Freight trailer with a cartop carrier also works well if you're economy minded. But if you are fashion-conscious the BRP trailer is the way to go. Good luck with your search.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tag+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

By the way. A short piece of a 12"x12" block of wood makes a perfect stand to support a tag-along trailer and stand it up against the wall.
    Last edited by 2dogs; 04-29-2023 at 11:08 AM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone for the replys

Spyder Garage

Live in Victoria, use a N-Line trailer that I used with my ex-1500. https://www.n-line.com. Purchased mine from a company in Edmonton.

Works well, tucks in and always in line - no pun intended. Single wheel unit. Loading is not an issue. Went across Canada to NFLD and back last year with it. Had one issue. Had a blow out - bent rim, in northwest NFLD. Still tracked straight and did not realize I had a flat until the next morning.

Picked this one because it is the same width as the 1500 saddlebags - goes where the bike goes. It articulated with the bike. Now that I have the Spyder, would like to have a two wheel trailer, but not replacing anytime soon - too expensive.

Good luck.
    "When Writing the Story of Your Life, Don’t Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen"
    "Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” – Les Brown

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
    1985 Honda GL1200 Goldwing Limited Edition

Ernest

Spyder Garage

Have a ‘22 S2S, and a ‘13 Bushtec RoadStar trailer. Only S2S hitch is a very expensive one, from BRP. Wiring, isolator, is available from Bushtec. Any other choices?
    TIA

Spyder Garage

There is a YouTuber called “Canuck Spyder” who has a couple detailed videos on the Lugg and Roll trailer.

Poasttown
    2019 F3L

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    A "tag along", they should be about $500. I paid $200 for mine a few years ago. Pulls great lightweight and inexpensive.
    Did you replace the tires?
    2013 RT Ltd , White with a wrap

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chebber View Post
    Did you replace the tires?
    No Chebber I haven't. I haven't worn them out yet. I don't load that trailer to its max and I don't use it all that often, but when I do it is extremely handy. IE; lightweight bulky stuff I can't safely carry on the spyder. However, I do carry two spare tires bolted to the tongue underneath the trailer. I believe you can find spares at Tractor Supply stores and other big box stores for around 35/40 bucks. Both tire and wheel. I carry two for the same reason you asked. They are of a low quality construction and wear out fast. But they serve a great need. After one tire goes in the middle of nowhere (or anywhere actually) it's very comforting to know you have a backup. Very inexpensive insurance for avoiding the problems a second flat can cause. By the by, I haven't done it yet but it's a good idea to have FOBOs on your trailer tires.

Spyder Garage

There are many options for trailers, besides the Freedom or 622, I have had a number of trailers for our Spyders the last 9 years, when we did our Coast to Coast and back ride my wife pulled a Champion cargo trailer and I pulled an Aspen pop up , She now pulls a Leesure Lite and I pull a trailer I built for our ride to Alaska. We have had several cargo trailers including a custom built Dog trailer for when we had our English setter. Both my wife and I have over 100k pulling our trailers and it extends the use of our spyders.
    IMG_2745.jpgIpad and Coast to Coast 133.jpgIpad and Coast to Coast 153.jpgIMG_3857.jpgIMG_3852.jpgIMG_3059.jpgIMG_3063.jpgIMG_3165.jpgIMG_3189.jpgIMG_3307.jpgIMG_3461.jpg
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

There are some great trailers out there. BRP makes a very good trailer. The Bushtec is also a very nice unit. Small tire trailers are OK on smooth pavement. But they spin much faster (watch the wheel bearings). Rough roads and potholes can really give them fits.

I think the BRP trailer is the best looking, and maybe the largest storage area, of the choices. However, when it comes to function, it's hard to beat the Bushtec. Not as stylish as the BRP (IMO). But those large diameter, small width tires make them very easy to pull. They track straight and ride smooth even in difficult road surface situations. I've seen them hit some big potholes at highway speeds and not bother the trailer or the tow vehicle much at all. Not as critical on a Spyder as it would be on 2 wheels. But still a factor to be considered.

Have not ridden with an N-Line trailer. But other than the added length created by the design. I think it would be extremely smooth, stable and easy to pull unit.

Good luck with your search! A lot of worthy choices is a good thing.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default Single wheel cargo trailer

Coming from the two-wheeled world I'm drawn to mono- single-wheel trailers. I've read some folks here who are quite adamant that mono-wheel trailers have no place behind a Spyder. My quite faulty memory remembers the arguments as "Mono wheel trailers lean. The spyder doesn't lean. Ergo, you don't want a trailer that leans."

I don't see the logic of that argument. (If you do, please educate me.)

I understand that backing up could be a bit troublesome. Might be the cost of doing business. I'd need to park carefully and perhaps unhitch, move the trailer, hitch up, go. Neither are deal breakers.

So I'm back to considering a mono-wheel trailer. All I'm after is something to carry a bit more All Important and Necessary Junk/Stuff when traveling more than a few days either by myself (camping) or with my bride.

My ST has two 35L side cases and a 52L top case. We were a smidgen cramped on a 12-day trek a couple years ago.

One trailer I considered when I rode two wheels is made in British Columbia, the mainland, not Vancouver Island like Rednaxs. I'm a long days drive/ride from there.

It's the "Kip Moto" brand: https://kipmoto.com/

If I could weld, I'd consider putting one together with steel and some ebay motorcycle parts (swingarm + wheel) and retail hitch parts. Considered harbor freight and a car topper DIY setup. Decided not for me. Various reasons.

"No leaning trailer" comments without supporting argument/evidence are neither persuasive or helpful. Evidence is welcome. Other comments on cargo trailers etc. much appreciated.
    Last edited by Columbia; 07-20-2023 at 09:55 PM.
    2015 ST Limited; Givi E52 Top Case; Baja Ron anti-sway bar; Cal Sci wind screen; Vredestein Quatracs (front)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thought seriously about a mono-wheeled trailer years ago, until we camped next to a couple who had one and wished they didn't own it. They had to pack it carefully to keep it balanced and when uncoupling it, it just flopped over. (There are 2 types one with a center wheel and one with a trailing wheel. Their trailer was the center wheel type.) It had a semi-fixed tongue and a semi-fixed wheel on a swivel. They said it traveled nicely when they towed it but it was a POS when stopped.

I opted for the HF trailer for the economy because:

1. it was on closeout sale;
    2. it's simple, functional, and it holds a lot of stuff;
    3. it stands up nicely and saves space when stored away; and
    4. it pulls like a dream.

If you opt for the mono-wheel, the torque may exceed the long-term integrity of your hitch. Just a thought. Good luck with whichever way you go.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-21-2023 at 12:40 AM.

Spyder Garage

Helpful. Thank you!
    By "center wheel" do you mean the case is mounted over, or mostly over, the wheel?
    2015 ST Limited; Givi E52 Top Case; Baja Ron anti-sway bar; Cal Sci wind screen; Vredestein Quatracs (front)

Spyder Garage

We pull an old (New Zealand manufactured), upgraded Uni-go. Pulled it behind the '06 GL1800. Now behind the '21 RTL. I modified one (had a spare) of my Uni-go hitches to bolt in place of the ball on the Spyder hitch. We've pulled it to Birmingham, AL from North of Knoxville, TN twice. Love that I can unhitch and roll it into a motel room. Saves security concerns and supplies all luggage needs. Holds more than I want. Would NOT be great for camping, however.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Columbia View Post
    Helpful. Thank you!
    By "center wheel" do you mean the case is mounted over, or mostly over, the wheel?
    Yes. It was centered under the trailer and just aft of the balance point. It appeared to me that you'd have a real issue on your hands if you ever got a flat tire on a center mounted single wheel trailer.