Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default What's causing this Wobble while braking?

Our 2023 RTL only has a few hundred miles on it and I'm still getting used to the whole 3-wheel thing. But while braking quick from say 30 mph or so there is a mild but noticeable wobble/shimmy while coming to a stop (straight line braking). Is this the Spyder equivalent of bump steer while braking? Or is it caused by rapid downshifting? Will suspension/tire fixes resolve this? Alignment? Just curious to see if this is normal and/or what a potential fix might be. I did just put a BR Ultra sway bar on but haven't had a chance yet to do brake testing (raining). Also have some new shocks and tires on the immediate roadmap.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-25-2023 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

I had a 2019 RTL for 30,000 miles and now a 2022 Sea to Sky for 5000 miles and have never experienced what you are describing. I would check the front lug nuts and torque them to spec and if that is not the problem get it back to the dealer asap. A properly aligned Spyder with evenly inflated tires should not be unstable whatsoever. I've ever understood what "bumpsteer" actually is. I know with conventional trikes(two wheels in back) I have heard riders talk about needing to bump steer to get through the corners, but have never heard it referred to a Spyder.
    Bartender
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bartender View Post
    I had a 2019 RTL for 30,000 miles and now a 2022 Sea to Sky for 5000 miles and have never experienced what you are describing. I would check the front lug nuts and torque them to spec and if that is not the problem get it back to the dealer asap. A properly aligned Spyder with evenly inflated tires should not be unstable whatsoever. I've ever understood what "bumpsteer" actually is. I know with conventional trikes(two wheels in back) I have heard riders talk about needing to bump steer to get through the corners, but have never heard it referred to a Spyder.
    My understanding (somebody correct me if I'm wrong): When weight shifts forward while braking the front end dives (because of shocks/springs being too soft?). This can cause toe to change. If this happens asymmetrically (off camber, or if misaligned?) it could result in "bump steer" causing you to go left or right. However in my case...its more like a slight wobble/shimmy left AND right. Not really too bad, but noticeable. And only while rapidly stopping...not a normal slow application of the brakes stop. But not "emergency stopping" either (haven't really had to do one of those yet!).

As for taking it to a dealer...I have zero confidence in our local dealers to address this and/or not have to wait for several weeks while they look at it (just the reality of dealers in my area). After I get my new shocks in I'll probably be taking it in for an alignment as well at that point, maybe those two things will help.

I'll definitely check nut torque and tire pressure, thx.

Spyder Garage

Check the lug nut torque, as already mentioned. Check tire pressures (I recommend 18-20 psi) in the front. Check for bad tie rod ends or bent tie rods. Worn A-Arm bushings will also give you this effect. But with such a new machine, I doubt you have hardware issues unless you've hit something. Last in line would be rotor warpage.

If you are still under warranty, I'd take it to the dealer and hope they put the effort out to find the problem and fix it for free. If you need a rotor, I highly recommend going to the EBC product. Much improved over the OEM rotor. You'd have to get 2 because the EBC rotors stop better and you don't want uneven braking on the front. The good news is that if you have to pay for the rotor, 2 EBC rotors are about the same as 1 BRP rotor.

In any case. I would get it looked at soon. Brake wobble is not a good thing.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 04-25-2023 at 06:51 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

with #2 & #4, also you have Kenda OEM tires..... Which have the worst record for Defective tires I have ever heard of ..... Why you only notice it when Braking hard I can't address, I think this is odd. .... If you know someone with 15" Spyder wheels and AUTO tires, maybe they would let try those ..... also Spyders feel way different than most anything you drive .... Good luck

Spyder Garage

So I managed to get out during lunch for some testing. Note that 1) I said I'm still new to 3-wheels, and 2) I had just put an Ultra bar on it (yesterday). I only was able to do a short test ride around the block yesterday.

So a few observations I made:

1) It was less prone to doing the wobble now than before the sway bar install. And when it did happen it wasn't as pronounced - it settled down much faster.

2) I was purposely being more conscious of what I was doing while stopping...and now I think I'm partly to blame (surprise!). I just don't think I'm 100% used to the oversteer these things have and I notice when it occurs its usually initiated by something I'm doing - not applying equal pressure on both sides of the bar, or while manually downshifting right before stopping (which surprise...involves putting pressure on one side of the bar only). If I stop without hands on the bars at all and let it downshift automatically I couldn't reproduce the wobble. Sometimes it wouldn't stop 100% straight but that was on off camber roads. And those times I could induce it my hands were on the bars and I could correlate it to me doing something not equally applied to both sides. So I really guess this is mostly me still getting used to the handling of these machines and how responsive they are to small inputs on steering. I can't prove that some instances I had experienced previously were induced by bump steer while coming to a stop - but if true that's not really the fault of the machine really (other than having a soft suspension). I think in those cases the new sway bar will help and obviously new shocks/springs and tires would as well.

So please, nobody read much into my thread here (not knocking my Spyder which I love!) and thanks for the suggestions.

Spyder Garage

Remember you have to keep that light touch on the bars even under hard braking.

when I first got my 2022 RT-L I was all over the road and even went in other lanes when I was braking hard.

When you brake hard your mind tells you to grip hard.

We/you all of us have to keep that light touch on the bars

Spyder Garage

It may also be that you need more time to get the lines of communication going between you and the Spyder. During hard braking you would tend to put extra pressure on the back of the bars. Any unevenness would start the condition you describe and your subconscious reaction would further it along. At some point that subconscious reaction will wane and you will be left wondering what the big deal was.

I think you should still check it mechanically to be safe.

Happy miles and smiles
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

You may find out your tires are not balanced correctly. The tires on my Spyder are out of round and will not balance. I'll run them until they need replaced, but the quality does seem to be somewhat lacking. You may be feeling some of that.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

about the OEM tires.. i noticed last week while using cruise control, using no hands, bike goes straight as can be, but has 1/2 in handlebar back and forth shake, 2500 miles on my 2020 F3L.. just received 2 quadtrac tires from tire rack, 165/60/15's... they are going on next monday am. kenda tires are junk...
    Last edited by fredgal; 04-25-2023 at 02:38 PM.
    2020 F3 limited, liquid titanium
    grip puppies
    Bajaron sway bar
    lamonster belt dampener
    battery tender
    19 in freedom tinted windshield
    matte black daytona frunk wrap
    Quadtrac 165/60's

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It took me at least 1,000 miles before I was “comfortable” on the Spyder. Give it time, and keep on and practice, practice, practice. As for the tires.....new tires are not that expensive, but your well being is... I would NOT fool around. Replace!
    Just my humble opinion....do what you think is best!

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

I do my homework and thanks to all you guys...I actually already have a new set of 3 Vredestein's in the garage. I might go ahead and put them on this week...I'm just trying to do the "change one thing at a time only" and working my way through the upgrades...

Spyder Garage

I vote for a warped rotor problem. I had a bad shimmy on the right front wheel when doing hard braking. I took the rotor off and put it on a glass table. I was able to insert a sheet of paper under some parts of it. I rode to BajaRon’s shop and they put a measuring device on it and, sure enough, it was warped. Two new EBC rotors fixed the problem.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

The spyder is a unique veichle. As I read through this thread I was thinking to myself: get your hands off the bars. I thought I had a problem because the bike seemed to pull mainly to the left under hard braking. I was about to tear into things and thought of taking my hands completely off the bars before hitting the brakes and sure enough the bike stopped straight. Light grip, light grip and even lighter grip. It's hard to do when braking hard. Most of us riders are older guys you only dream of having strong core muscles.
    2018 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bunson View Post
    The spyder is a unique veichle. As I read through this thread I was thinking to myself: get your hands off the bars. I thought I had a problem because the bike seemed to pull mainly to the left under hard braking. I was about to tear into things and thought of taking my hands completely off the bars before hitting the brakes and sure enough the bike stopped straight. Light grip, light grip and even lighter grip. It's hard to do when braking hard. Most of us riders are older guys you only dream of having strong core muscles.
    yep old guys, turned 65 sunday.....
    grip puppies
    Bajaron sway bar
    lamonster belt dampener
    battery tender
    Quadtrac 165/60's

Spyder Garage

My friend last year came to me and said, Mike I have a wobble in my bike. So I got on the old girl and down the road I went, well I got out on the main road and shifted up threw the gears, right up to 55-60, then I let off the gas and OMG, That thing went into this wobble thing that made my butt tighten up!!! Well, I played with it all the way back to the house, pulled into the dooryard and right into the shop! I went up and down the thing and asked when it started doing the shake wobble thing, he said it always did it a little but really started thr=e shake when a set of tires were put on the front! I spun and shook everything, when I was done I told him, take this thing back and have them rebalance the tires, and if they won't do it pull it into a tire shop and have them do the front tires for you. Next day he showed up and said thank you, thank you, what a difference it made, never drove so well ever!!! So, tire pressure, lug nuts, balance, rotors, and depending on how hard your pushing and the surface of the road the abs could be making it do a little dance also! Good luck!! Get some miles under your belt relax your grip and be one with your ride!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fredgal View Post
    about the OEM tires.. i noticed last week while using cruise control, using no hands, bike goes straight as can be, but has 1/2 in handlebar back and forth shake, 2500 miles on my 2020 F3L.. just received 2 quadtrac tires from tire rack, 165/60/15's... they are going on next monday am. kenda tires are junk...
    I think all Spyder,s have some slack 1/4 to 1/2 inch ( at the handlebars ) in the steering mechanism. If you completely remove your hands from the bars, ( I have done this ) if the alignment is good the wheels/tires will track straight but the bars will shake a very small amount ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 04-25-2023 at 09:36 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    I vote for a warped rotor problem. I had a bad shimmy on the right front wheel when doing hard braking. I took the rotor off and put it on a glass table. I was able to insert a sheet of paper under some parts of it. I rode to BajaRon’s shop and they put a measuring device on it and, sure enough, it was warped. Two new EBC rotors fixed the problem.
    I think the likelihood that a new 2023 would have Warped Rotors is very slim ..... JMHO ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Biggest problem with Kendas is, they aren't round. And, just like with stupid, it can't be fixed.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Biggest problem with Kendas is, they aren't round. And, just like with stupid, it can't be fixed.
    A mouthful of Truth! Stupid can sometimes be improved, but oblong tires will never B round! ..Bill
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knizar View Post
    A mouthful of Truth! Stupid can sometimes be improved, but oblong tires will never B round! ..Bill
    I agree. Stupid can actually be fixed. It's just a saying that it can't. But Kendas? Not going to happen

Spyder Garage

First things first, get an alignment then go conspiratorial.hidesbehindsofa.gif
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

''Experts" say eating red meat makes the sun hot
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I think all Spyder,s have some slack 1/4 to 1/2 inch ( at the handlebars ) in the steering mechanism. If you completely remove your hands from the bars, ( I have done this ) if the alignment is good the wheels/tires will track straight but the bars will shake a very small amount ..... Mike
    we will see when i get the new Quatracs on next week.. time will tell..
    grip puppies
    Bajaron sway bar
    lamonster belt dampener
    battery tender
    Quadtrac 165/60's

Spyder Garage

got quadtracs mounted this am. and balanced.. very little tire weights comparded to OEM tires.. also shop used black weights.. like the looks. but not a good day to test them out, raining for 4 days straight.. cant wait to test them..
    Last edited by fredgal; 05-01-2023 at 01:00 PM.
    grip puppies
    Bajaron sway bar
    lamonster belt dampener
    battery tender
    Quadtrac 165/60's

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fredgal View Post
    we will see when i get the new Quatracs on next week.. time will tell..
    Fred alignment should NOT have anything to do with " amount of steering play " ..... the way the steering connection is made is why there is some play in it..... JMHO .... Mike