Spyder Garage

Default Can I tow a Spyder pull-behind Trailer with my truck?

I didn't know what title to use. A friend needs some work done on a pull behind trailer (cargo). I don't have a hitch on my Spyder, so I can't tow from his house to mine (about 50 miles). My question is:
    Can I tow the trailer with my truck?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-25-2023 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6

Spyder Garage

Every state is different. In PA no! You must have it titled, registration and paperwork on hand along with insurance if over 2990 lbs or dual axle in order to pull down the highway legally. Guys sometimes will grab and old trailer plate and put on as a quick pull but with the new scantron cameras on the state cop cars, all they need to do is be behind you and push a button and the computer scans your plate number and pulls everything up immediately. They don’t even type stuff in anymore. I know guys that have purchased trailers in Ohio and pulled them home without titling them and got pulled over on 90 on way home. If you buy out of state get the vin, you can get a temp plate and even temp insurance if needed. Pick it up. Take back with temp, pay the taxes, turn in bill of sale and titling fees and receive a real plate. That is legal. In PA if purchased in state, you need to goto notary in order to sign over the title in person and register. You can’t even purchase the trailer in PA if not notarized with both parties in person.
    Last edited by Wmoater; 04-25-2023 at 09:34 AM.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

If it is a friends trailer and he owns the trailer and you want to pull it home to your house to do work on it or simply use it that is legal. You need the registration card, make sure it plated and lights working. If your state requires insurance, have your friend call his or her insurance give permission for you to use it, have him or her provide you with a written notes saying you have permission to pull it and its legal. I might have misread the previous statement depending on if you are purchasing or simply pulling. If the question is can you pull with truck as in speed and height? Then get a drop down hitch, plug in and you are good. If lights can’t be used or work then in my opinion get a trailer to put trailer in or get 12’ ramps and put in back of truck. Simply take 2 2x4 against the back of the wheels, push the trailer up the ramps. Put tailgate up with a bag over the chains and hitch so it doesn’t hurt the tail gate. The blocks behind the tires and against the front of the bed will stop it from moving when you hit the brakes. Pure a strap around the trailer hitch to. Your hitch. It won’t move. Not working lights will get you in trouble fast if you are pulling it.
    Last edited by Wmoater; 04-25-2023 at 09:48 AM.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bangorbob View Post
    I didn't know what title to use. A friend needs some work done on a pull behind trailer (cargo). I don't have a hitch on my Spyder, so I can't tow from his house to mine (about 50 miles). My question is:
    Of course. I've never had a problem (Utah, Arizona, Oregon, NV). I've towed my unregistered Lees-Ure Lite with my truck in those states and also my registered RT-622.

Backing up could be problematic; don't forget it's there!
    Last edited by UtahPete; 04-25-2023 at 10:41 AM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

well, you have lots of good advice for PA but unfortunately you live in NV and I also don't have a clue what the laws are in NV. I do know in Ut a trailer that small does not need to be licensed or titled but should be insured. Can you call your DMV?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Physically, yes, it can be done.

Legally, as you have seen, might be questionable

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Most all the Florida traffic laws, including motorcycle laws, the hunting and fishing laws, and a whole lot of other laws and regulations are on line. The state runs th website and does the updates.

Other states probably have a similar website.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Yes, but you will probably need a 1 7/8" ball.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Also keep in mind that the hitch on the truck is a lot higher than on a spyder. Make sure that the back of the trailer has sufficient clearance.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Why not just haul it in the truck?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

If I knew anyone in Las Vegas that was willing to help this gentleman, it would be much easier. The air shocks are apparently not holding up. I'm sure it is a simple fix put I don't go to Vegas much.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If I knew anyone in Las Vegas that was willing to help this gentleman, it would be much easier. The air shocks are apparently not holding up. I'm sure it is a simple fix put I don't go to Vegas much.
    I guess I don't understand the issue. Why doesn't he just bring it over to your place?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I guess I don't understand the issue. Why doesn't he just bring it over to your place?
    He don't drive freeways. The only way to get from LV to Pahrump is - freeway.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-30-2023 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

He don't drive freeways. The only way to get from LV to Pahrump is - freeway.
    That kind of limits the kind of touring he can do, doesn't it? Almost anywhere interesting from LV involves freeway, I think.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-30-2023 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Send a PM to CptJAM, Joe Meyers. Contact info also on the Squared Away ad on the home page. They live in Las Vegas and work on Spyders.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    That kind of limits the kind of touring he can do, doesn't it? Almost anywhere interesting from LV involves freeway, I think.
    Each to his own. I offered to look at the problem because I have all the tools, jacks, etc. IF it was at my house. Oh well.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Each to his own. I offered to look at the problem because I have all the tools, jacks, etc. IF it was at my house. Oh well.
    Well, if he wants it done badly enough, he'll figure out how to take advantage of your generosity I suppose. The way you asked the original question it sounded like you were going to pick it up and deliver it back to him with your own truck.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As almost always, helping a friend entails more than just what meets the eye. Have your friend rent you a Uhall and safely transport his trailer to your place that way. Better safe than sorry.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the advice/responses. I have enough info to make a logical decision.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P