Spyder Garage

Default 2019 Ryker Fuel pump whine - fixed!

I recently completed a fix for an annoying fuel pump whine on my 2019 Ryker Rally. I bought the Ryker used with about 2500 miles on it. The noise started several days after I got it, and was so loud at first I thought that it was a warning tone. I was several hundred miles into a 2600 mile trip and was quite concerned. But the fuel pump didn't falter, just made noise. The noise would come and go over the miles, mostly quiet, so I mostly ignored it. Also, the fuel pump failed several months ago - the engine would stall at stop signs. I replaced just the pump and pressure regulator with a kit for under $100, and the noise went away entirely. For a while.

Recently, at over 16K miles, it came back with a vengeance. I was aware of a service bulletin and this article:

so I decided to go for it. The fix is a simple plastic cylinder inserted into the place where the fuel pressure regulator resides. How it works, I have no idea, but it does work - been quiet for several days now.

I think this was an issue with the 2019 model year only. I know several have had this fix done by the dealer under warranty. Mine was out of warranty when I bought it, which is why I put up with the issue for so long. (My stereo basically drowned it out when it would appear.)

I had to go to the dealer for the part, as the part number is not found at the usual Can Am parts web sites. $6.20.

Attached Images Attached Images