Spyder Garage

Angry Riddle of The Keys - only unlocks ignition, not trunk - Ideas?

Howdy do, to all

This one stumps even the shop , Ride Now, Peoria AZ:

I ordered a backup key from them when I purchased my 2020 Spyder RTL, two months ago. They said at that time the key only worked on one position in the ignition. I said OK and didn't think about it. I put it in my spare keys box and forgot about it.

My wife is going on an all-girls ride from Phoenix to Kanab UT in September. So I thought Ok she can use the spare key. Lo and behold the key won't lock/unlock the trunk or side cases.

So the dealer recut a key today. After much fiddling and burnishing, the replacement key will unlock the ignition, but no joy on the trunk or side cases. Now they cannot even get this new key to program for the ignition.

Any ideas?

Stumped In The Desert
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-23-2023 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    Ride safe; shiny side up, greasy side down.

best,
    linguine

2020 RT Limited , Chalk Gray

Spyder Garage

Should have not been sold with “ the key only worked on one position in the ignition”. They were aware & too lazy to correct. Either assembled wrong & A cable pinched , or all out ignition assembly issue. Sorry they stump even themselves yet another red flag

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I bought a blank from RideNow Austin and they could not cut it. Most dealers probably wont. Took it to my local locksmith who I trust a lot more than Home Depot, Lowes, etc. They cut it, then the dealer (not RideNow) programmed it for free since I was buying a new tire from them. Took a little doing, buying the blank in one place, having it cut in another, and having it programmed at yet another. but it works fine, opens frunk, seat, and most importantly, starts the Spyder.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Sounds to me like somewhere along the line, someone replaced the ignition switch.
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Sounds like you got the equivalent of an old style "valet key"; starts the vehicle, but won't allow access to compartments where items can be stored.

Compare the length of the of your spare to the original. Releasing the frunk & seat require that the key be pushed in & turned; if the shaft on your spare is shorter, that could be the reason it won't work.

2020 Spyder RT Limited; Deep Marsala/Chrome

Formosa AZ01 165/50/R16's on PPA Recluse wheels up front
    General Altimax RT43 215/60/R15 on factory rear

Primary exhaust: RLS Cat delete w/ his baffle; secondary, custom built w/ Flowmaster HS2
    Suspension: BajaRon swaybar (highly recommended!), M2 coil-overs, front & rear (also highly recomended!)
    Extra LED lighting and misc. to suit my needs/wants

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replies thus far.

@jetfixer: the ignition switch is original. Not sure where you were going...

best,
    linguine

Spyder Garage

Red face

Update 2:

A VERY competent parts tech went back to the key he made today, and set the cutter to "do it again" on that key. Worked the charm: ignition [both ways], unlock the frunk, unlock the seat, unlock the trunk and side compartments ALL OK. This guy worked for over 1.5 hours, and NAILED it; programmed it and all is good.

NO CHARGES for the key or the shop.

RideNow Powersports in Peoria, AZ gets 5 STARS

best,
    linguine

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by linguine View Post
    Update 2:

I would certainly give them a good rating for fixing the issue, linguine, but since they were the ones who allowed you to leave the shop with a key that didn’t function in the first place, that would cost them a couple of stars in my rating.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    I would certainly give them a good rating for fixing the issue, linguine, but since they were the ones who allowed you to leave the shop with a key that didn’t function in the first place, that would cost them a couple of stars in my rating.

Pete
    Disagree. Three stars
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by linguine View Post
    Update 2:

A VERY competent parts tech went back to the key he made today, and set the cutter to "do it again" on that key. Worked the charm: ignition [both ways], unlock the frunk, unlock the seat, unlock the trunk and side compartments ALL OK. This guy worked for over 1.5 hours, and NAILED it; programmed it and all is good.

I'm glad your issue is solved ..... However 1.5 hrs. to put the key in the machine and turn it on ????? ..... I'd find another shop ..... JMHO ... Mike