Spyder Garage

Default How hot is too hot for Spyder Storage?

Weird question. I live in So.AZ where it can get over 110 in the summer. Hubby wants to store my 2021 RT in an enclosed 16ft trailer on the side of the house (not much room in garage so this would be easier to get it in and out). Will this be too hot for the bike? Will it harm the electronics?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If there is a roof vent in the trailer, leave it open a bit. If you have lower vents, too, leave them open, too.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Make sure the trailer has at least two vents at opposite ends/sides totaling minimum 4 sqft area. Best if shed roof painted light color. Your electronics will be safe. The LCD is heat-sensitive. I suggest you check with BRP directly.

When I park my Spyder I always cover the LCD with a microfiber towel to keep it cool and out of direct sunlight.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dstrat View Post
    Weird question. I live in So.AZ where it can get over 110 in the summer. Hubby wants to store my 2021 RT in an enclosed 16ft trailer on the side of the house (not much room in garage so this would be easier to get it in and out). Will this be too hot for the bike? Will it harm the electronics?
    I've driven in very heavy traffic at 125 F for an hour with no issues. .... That trailer could get to 150+ F. and that would concern me..... put your car/trk outside in the shade with a thermometer inside see how hot it gets .... good luck ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Trailer is black with silver roof. 2 vents on bottom, none on the roof. I know it’ll be blasted hot in there in the summer.
    I’ll try contacting BRP - a good idea.
    It’ll be fine most of the year, just worried about June - September, when it’s over 100 and I ride a lot less then.
    This is what happens when your Hubby gets too many toys and not enough garage! Haha

Spyder Garage

I used to work on trailers with aluminum roofs on them. When it's hot outside, the sun shining & doors closed it's extremely hot. Without it being vented with a thermostat controlled fan I wouldnt.
    You could install one pretty easy if you have access to electricity.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When you ride your RT it will get hotter underneath all that tupperware than it will ever get sitting inside an enclosed trailer. Just think how hot that cat (primary muffler) gets if it's capable of starting a fire on its own like on the earlier model spyders. Thankfully that issue has been resolved.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Out of direct sun light, dry, with some air circulation and it should be fine!
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dstrat View Post
    We get some pretty high temps here in Oz, probably fairly similar to those you get over there in Southern AZ, and I've seen some pretty nice (& expensive! ) machines that've been destroyed by storing them thru just one Hot summer in a relatively poorly ventilated & not cooled 'steel box' that was if anything, better suited to high temp storage than yours cos it was painted all white outside and it had insulation all round!

It's not so much the metal parts or even the electronic components themselves that get destroyed; it's more the POL that degrades (all the important bits evaporate out leaving varnish inside your fuel & lube systems! ); the paint (the water-based stuff used these days is no comparison to the older 'baked enamel' type paints formerly used!! ); the wiring (insulation & the wires themselves can start to deteriorate at temps anything much over 50° C without a cooling airflow! ); and the rubber/plastic/perspex/leather etc of the windscreen, the dash, the handgrips & controls, the seat, etc, etc!! So I'd strongly suggest that if you're going to use it for storage over the summer, then you should make sure your trailer is insulated; has adequate (ie LOTS of! ) ventilation; and is ideally fitted with a constant air flow device or two, preferably at least one of them a cooling device!

Do you really need to ask me how I know & recommend this??

Ps: High humidity &/or condensation in still air subjected to warm/hot temps is an invitation to rust on iron/steel & oxidisation of any other metal too!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-21-2023 at 07:40 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If it's just for summer look into an aluminum framed lightweight cloth cover for your spyder. Fully covered but with lots of ventilation. Use the trailer for winter storage.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

I store mine in a Bike Barn, all year round. Lots of protection and good ventilation.

Life is not good or bad, it's just Life. Deal with it!

2018 F-3T, 2016 2500 Ram 4x4, 2020 VW Cross Sport, 2012 Travel trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelman View Post
    I store mine in a Bike Barn, all year round. Lots of protection and good ventilation.
    Yep, me too. The best option I could think of. Mine is 10'x20' with 6' wide double doors. About as mouse proof as you can get.

Spyder Garage

As mentioned by several posters above ventilation is your friend, get yourself 1 or 2 solar powered fans that will run constantly to keep the air circulating.

Just my .02¢

Spyder Garage

I just bought a White 7 x 12 trailer that I'm insulating it right now. I've put 1" insulation infrared side out in the walls and ceiling.
    There is some kind of insulation called Gavaloma painted on the ceiling that came with it. I'm also gonna paint the roof with bright white elastomeric paint with little ceramic hollow beads.
    I did this to the last trailer(5 x11) and with the top vent cracked and the door cracked a little, it would get no hotter then the surrounding air. I had a Honda 1800 that I parked in the 5x11 and during the hottest days, the bike was OK and not really hot.
    I just sold the Honda and the new owner said the bike, 20 years old, looked like new and runs the same.
    I did keep a cover on it for extended stays to keep the dust down.
    Black trailers are a bad color for storage. JMHO
    Adj removable backrest, KOTT radiator screens
    Double horn (118db), Lamonster mirror fix
    tender plug in, luggage liner/bags, FOBO 2
    Drinks2go cup holder, replaced the seat strut
    Garmin DriveSmart 71 GPS, Garmin BC 30 backup camera.
    White pulley, Pedal Commander
    Laminar Lip- looks fonky but works.
    J&M 2003 CB installed
    Home made belt guard
    7x12 enclosed trailer

2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic

Skip H.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    If it's just for summer look into an aluminum framed lightweight cloth cover for your spyder. Fully covered but with lots of ventilation. Use the trailer for winter storage.
    That would be a good plan/schedule in YOUR area, but the OP is in southern Arizona. They have SUMMER storage because it's just too blame hot to ride. Winter time is the best time to ride there.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

I store my sleds in a black trailer all summer but it is under a canopy of trees, maybe a awning over the trailer would cut some of the heat down. I think if it wasn't in a bad part of town I would leave the side door open, if it had one also!
    2012 RTL , Pearl