Spyder Garage

Default Fuel Injector Cleaner When/How Much

Would it be a good idea to use fuel injector cleaners as part of a normal preventive maintenance program, and if so, how often and how much should you use at a fill up?

My bike is running fine, I’m just think of preventing an issue rather then wait for it to develop.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

I think you'll will get a full range of reply's on this one. Me, I will use some on occasion, usually right after a oil change and getting the bike out of winter storage! Just use it by the directions on the bottle, it's worked for me!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I throw it in whenever I feel like it. Use it per the bottle instructions. I really like "Techron" when it is on sale. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

I use it one time a year, when I store it. I use seafoam. Most Tier 1 fuels have cleaner/conditioners in them, especially premium octanes.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Ethanol free gas helps in itself, *marine stabil - Any extended down time(hibernation). Barrymans B12 occasionally. Other brands available (to each their own ) Start a log keeping track of MPG & all various conditions. Hopefully find something you like that works best for you.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Top name brand gas, Mobil, Chevron, Shell, and so on, all have additives in them that help keep your system clean. But if it makes a body feel better use what you will although it's a waste of $$$$. 100% gas is the best you can get for top performance.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Always used a dash of Techron in previous m/c's, no comment on the Rotax, so I'll just follow the thread.

Spyder Garage

I use Techron in my bikes once or twice a year usually shortly before an oil change. Does it work? I dunno, but I've never had a fuel system issue. I never had a fuel system issue before I used it either. I take extra care with the fuel systems on my bikes because of the ethanol crap that is pretty much all you can find in the mid-west.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    I throw it in whenever I feel like it. Use it per the bottle instructions. I really like "Techron" when it is on sale. Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    I use Techron in my bikes once or twice a year usually shortly before an oil change. Does it work? I dunno, but I've never had a fuel system issue. I never had a fuel system issue before I used it either. I take extra care with the fuel systems on my bikes because of the ethanol crap that is pretty much all you can find in the mid-west.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

I had a flashing check engine light on my 2020 RT that would come and go. Code showed lead fuel bank. Took it into a dealer and after they had it for 3 days told me that they pulled the code and then cleared the code, but they didn't check anything out. All they did was give me a list of possible things that could cause this. Of course the next day the flasking light came back.
    I fixed the issue by replacing the fuel filter and adding a full bottle of Techron. After two weeks the flashing light came on so I ran another bottle of Techron, and it hasn't come back in the last 3 months.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

As I've stated before in other posts. We've had a number of 1330 machines come through with clogged injectors. There are a few reasons our bikes have more problems with this than our cars. The biggest reason is that we don't ride enough (I know I don't!) But this is another issue altogether.

First, most use Ethanol fuel in their Spyder/Ryker.

"But Ron, But Ron! We use the same ethanol fuel in our cars too! And they don't give us any trouble!", you exclaim. True. But do you let your car sit idle over the winter or for weeks at a time during the riding season? Or, worse yet. Do you occasionally go out and let it idle to 'Warm it up' over the winter months without driving it?

Ethanol fuel LOVES water! It collects it like a miner collects gold. This tends to make internal parts rust. Some of the rust will simply clog your fuel filter. But some will be fine enough to slip past and clog your fuel injectors. If possible, run straight gas in your Spyder/Ryker. That's the best. But, if you can't do that, at least fill it with straight gas when in storage. Don't let your Spyder/Ryker sit low on fuel for long periods. The area above the fuel line are more prone to rusting. The larger the open space, the more rust can potentially be created.

Use a fuel stabilizer when storing your ride.

The 2nd issue is 'Bake Off'. This is when you shut down hot. There will be a little bit of fuel at the tip of the fuel injector which gets baked, leaving a tiny bit of carbon. Over time, if this is allowed to build up, you get injector issues.

This one seems to be controversial. (But what isn't these days?) Letting your engine idle for 10 seconds before shutting down in hot conditions can reduce this Bake Off effect. True, a water cooled system handles upper cylinder heat better than an air cooled. But a few seconds of idle (again, after a hot ride) allows the upper cylinder to cool quite a bit. This is not really necessary in cool weather unless you were just riding hard.

Name brand premium fuels have more additives to keep your injectors clean than the lower grades. You may be able to get away with using cheap, off brand fuels in your car. But it probably won't go as well with your Spyder/Ryker long term.

Riding long distances is better than short hops. But this is usually not something you can adjust. Just be aware of it.

For a bike with problems, I like to pour in a full container of Berryman's B-12 or Techron at the gas station. Then fill the tank all the way to the top. This is especially effective if you can use up the full tank of fuel in a single run. If not, try to run close to empty with short trips before refilling. If you use a Techron product. Be sure it isn't one of their concentrate products. If that is what you have, just do the same thing using twice the recommended dosage.

Berryman's makes a product they call 'Fuel System Rejuvenator' that also works well. Part number 7516.

Of course, these measures will not always cure an injector problem. It may be a bad injector or coil giving you issues. We've found those as well. But it is an inexpensive try and may well work for you. If nothing else. It may get you out there to ride more as you try to use up the treated fuel.

If you are not having any fuel system issues. I recommend using 1/2 container of the Berryman's, Techron or Sea Foam every 1,000 miles or so. Less often if you ride a lot. Again, pour in the additive at the gas station and then fill up.

Just a few good habits can really make a big difference in how your ride runs.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 04-22-2023 at 11:26 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    Would it be a good idea to use fuel injector cleaners as part of a normal preventive maintenance program, and if so, how often and how much should you use at a fill up?

My bike is running fine, I’m just think of preventing an issue rather then wait for it to develop.
    I use startron engine treatment all the time. I get a huge bottle off of Amazon that treats like 250 gallons

Spyder Garage

Every tank.
    50/50 of Techron and Marvel Mystery oil. 4 ounces.
    For storage, a double dose of StaBil and Bell's Ethanol Defense.
    I see above Ethanol Free fuel mentioned. Just be aware that is 91 pipeline premium with nothing added.
    Considered boat or OPE fuel, they don't have to add cleaners.
    Premium fuels from majors Shell, Mobil, and BP usually have an overdose (over the EPA minimum) of that brand's flavor of cleaner vs the regular grades.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    with Ed's
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

I use about an ounce or two of Sea Foam and put it in every time I fill it up. I also use high test Non Ethanol gas in my bike and find that it performs better on that.
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents

Spyder Garage

Hubby uses Lucas, when Top Tier fuel isn't in the picture.
    2016 F3-T , Blk/Rd

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post

I had this same question recently. I've resorted to adding in an injector cleaner fluid every 5-10 thousand Kms with doses per the products instructions. Prior to this there would be times where my '17RTL would hesitate coming out of a stop sign, but haven't experienced it since doing this (it could be coincidence).

I've been using Nulon (it may be an Australia only product) which does 3+ doses from a 750ml bottle.
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White