Spyder Garage

Default Anyone know the trick for installing under tail cover - ST?

Greetings
    I'm stuck trying to fit the under tail plastic cover in place so it aligns with the bolt-holes. I suspect there's a trick to it, but if there is, it's a trick I've yet to discover.
    Anyone have experience fitting the under tail cover on an ST?
    Many thanks for ideas and/or suggestions
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-21-2023 at 02:53 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    2015 ST Limited; Givi E52 Top Case; Baja Ron anti-sway bar; Cal Sci wind screen; Vredestein Quatracs (front)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You mean this piece that is the underside of the rear fender? This image shows the screws that hold it in place.

IMG_1358.jpg
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Yes is a pain & caution, it can strip bolts threads or the lil clips they go into. Start at wide part first- align up with the two stud pins on either side. (Sorry has been a min, trying to remember correctly) Think maybe oem was torx & I swapped to 10mm ss bolts. Either way back side (wide) first evenly both sides till last one at the tail cone. Start & as much as can thread by hand. Go slowly with small ratchet or the torx screw driver from tool kit. Troublesome fit in some areas. Shouldn’t need to elevate the rear & if you do lift on frame leaving swing arm alone to provide bigger gap between tire & bike. **might wanna have small wire or something-poke in bolt holes test alignment. ** ( please when gonna add pics to garage?)
    Last edited by Bfromla; 04-21-2023 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Garage ?

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I've had mine off numerous times on my 2013 ST. Never had a problem, but the two side panels it attaches to on mine will move around until this piece is in place, and secured.
    2013 Spyder ST-SE5
    US Army 1971-1973
    Army Guard 1990
    Air Guard 1991-2010

Spyder Garage

Yes. It's the circled part in the fiche.

I know how it is supposed to fit and have the screws that are supposed to hold it in place.
    Removing it was no big deal. It's as if the plastic piece transmogrified upon removal, becoming something from, say, a 1967 MG TD or a a vintage Moto Guzzi, not a Spyder.

Fitting it has been the problem. It won't fit in such a way that the screws can be seated.

I've tried heating the piece to see if it would soften sufficient to achieve placement. Nope.

I started a project last fall. Fitting this piece convinced me to take a break and stopped the project. I've been ignoring the bike, hoping to shame it into cooperating. Time to ride is long past. Need to get this fitted and back on the road.

Thanks to BFfromia and RangerRick for your suggestions. I'll try it yet once more, starting this time from the rear.

I find myself thinking about the manufacturer's engineers and designers the same way I think about software programmers: "They should be forced to use the product(s) they design/build." Perhaps then the design would be more friendly to us, the buyers of said product(s).

Again: thank you, gentlemen.
    Last edited by Columbia; 04-21-2023 at 09:59 PM.
    2015 ST Limited; Givi E52 Top Case; Baja Ron anti-sway bar; Cal Sci wind screen; Vredestein Quatracs (front)

Spyder Garage

Add pics to garage?
    Hmmm. I'm not much of a post-a-picture kind of guy. Prefer keeping a low profile whenever possible.

Spyder Garage

Greetings

Well, I got three out of seven bolts and/or nuts fastened. The plastic tail piece does not align with the holes holding the threaded clips. It certainly came off without any hassle. Getting it back on, starting from the tail light and working inward: no joy. Starting inward and working toward the tail light: no joy.

I'll make an appointment tomorrow at the dealer in Bend, ride the bike in and hope they'll let me watch how they attach the tail cover.

One attachment point on each side is a threaded piece, designed to hold the Givi luggage rack (one attachment point of the three per side). Along with the threaded rod is another rod or pin--no threads--to keep the Givi attachment piece properly aligned and in place.

I remember having difficulty re-attaching the tail cover when I had it partway off to install an aftermarket rack. But I also remember being able to fit it in place. This time, needing to remove the cover completely in order to do the work needed, I'm stymied on replacing the darn thing.

That's why I asked if there is a trick to doing so. A piece of magic that allowed all the bolt-holes to align and perhaps blink so even a klutz can get those seven bolts screwed home. Apparently magic doesn't show up around Spyders. Except when riding.

Thanks again for the suggestions. If the dealer proves magical, I'll update this thread and reveal all.

Spyder Garage

Ya it is an aggravating piece Have even accidentally mounted it upside down (the depression for the wheel became a bump) sorry, unable to help more. good luck & hopefully dealer will be cooperative.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-11-2023 at 07:50 PM. Reason: pice... ;-)

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I did the upside down thing, too. I was trying any and every thing I could think of. Argh!

Spyder Garage

Have an appointment with the dealer to attach the doggone piece. Next week.
    I've been riding, but not in the rain since the gap between plastic piece and body is not small and there are electronics in there. Waterproofed, of course, but I don't like water on wiring connections.
    After the tail piece gets nailed down, er, screwed down, rain, shine, wind, whatever, I'm riding.

Spyder Garage

Mike
    I confess your comments about enlarging the holes didn't add up for me, but I filed them away between my ears anyway.
    I will carefully examine both the fender itself in all its glory and the fiche with its reflected glory and exercise the habit I'm trying to develop: work slowly and patiently.
    No hole shall be drilled before its time. And only if necessary.
    Steve