Spyder Garage

Default Having a Hard time getting on my Sea to Sky - any hints/advice?

Good evening friends.

I owned an F3 and never had issues getting on or off the bike. With my Sea to Sky it seems my foot always hits my seat no matter how I get on the bike. I know this sounds odd, but do any of you have advice on how to get on this machine without your foot hitting the seat?

Thanks folks.

JDT
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-18-2023 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question ;-)

Spyder Garage

When I climb on my RT I stand up on the floorboards first then swing the back rest down and swing my leg over. I know it's an older Spyder but the principle is the same. I also went to a large shop window that had a good reflection so I could see what I was doing and found I was being lazy and not raising my foot as high as I was able so I practiced until I got it. I know, it sounds like something that should just come naturally but for some reason it didn't.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JDTOLLAND View Post
    Good evening friends

I owned an f3 and never had issues getting on or off the bike . With my sea to sky it seems my foot always hits my seat no matter how I get on the bike . I know this sounds odd but do any of you have advice on how to get on this machine without you foot hitting the seat ?

Thanks folks

JDT
    We have a 2020RTL and we put the Lamonster Floorboard Riser on it! I'm 5'10" & my wife is 5'2", the riser helped considerably. Us old dogs just can't raise our leg so high anymore!........Bill
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    When I climb on my RT I stand up on the floorboards first then swing the back rest down and swing my leg over. I know it's an older Spyder but the principle is the same. I also went to a large shop window that had a good reflection so I could see what I was doing and found I was being lazy and not raising my foot as high as I was able so I practiced until I got it. I know, it sounds like something that should just come naturally but for some reason it didn't.
    This ^^ works well, but if it's still a problem, you could always try parking your behind on the Passenger seat first, then actually lifting your foot over the seat in front of you, before sliding down onto the Rider's seat.... IF you don't have a Rider's Backrest in the way!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thanks I’ll try it

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    This ^^ works well, but if it's still a problem, you could always try parking your behind on the Passenger seat first, then actually lifting your foot over the seat in front of you, before sliding down onto the Rider's seat.... IF you don't have a Rider's Backrest in the way!
    Or, put your right foot on the left floorboard and raise up. Now put your left foot on left passengers foot rest and raise up. You have just gained several inches of clearance to swing your right leg over.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knizar View Post
    We have a 2020RTL and we put the Lamonster Floorboard Riser on it! I'm 5'10" & my wife is 5'2", the riser helped considerably. Us old dogs just can't raise our leg so high anymore!........Bill
    I had/have no problem getting on my Spyder before or after adding the risers. I agree with Bill. I think they may help you out. If I had to guess, the risers bring the floorboard up about 1". Maybe an inch and a half.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

I get on by using the passenger pegs. So much easier. don't worry about hitting the seat

Spyder Garage

I have issues with my ability to rase my leg high enough. So I stand on the passenger floorboard and grabbing my pants leg to help I am able to swing my leg over.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

I recently completed a 2,500 mile solo trip. I had a bag on the passenger seat that was slightly taller than the trunk and I kept catching my boot on the bag when mounting/dismounting. I started leaning my upper body pretty far forward when doing the leg kick thing (like far enough forward that I had to also lean slightly to the side so as not to hit the windshield with my chest) and that gave me just enough additional clearance that I no longer caught the bag with my boot.

I’ve also seen younger bucks just stand on the floorboard and high kick straight over the drivers seat (not roundhouse style), makes me wish I were young and limber again but I’m not so I have to find alternatives

Never would have thought I’d be discussing how to mount a three wheeled motorcycle either, but here I am LOL!
    Last edited by Adventurer; 04-19-2023 at 08:03 AM.
    2021 Spyder RT Limited (Sea-To-Sky)
    2022 Ryker Rally

Spyder Garage

Good evening friends.

I owned an F3 and never had issues getting on or off the bike. With my Sea to Sky it seems my foot always hits my seat no matter how I get on the bike. I know this sounds odd, but do any of you have advice on how to get on this machine without your foot hitting the seat?

Thanks folks.

JDT
    Try this. It works for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRdcFFq8E5I
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Old, broken, fat, short..did I leave anything out? I ordered an outside 6.3” x 4.33” x 3.54” waterproof heavy plastic electric junction box from Amazon ($11.99..I would post a link if I had the skills), mounted it to the back of my floorboard with self tapping screws, packed it with sand and put a strip of non-slip tape on the top..the 4.33” additional height is a life saver and gives that leg an additional foot rest on a long ride..
    2021 RTL Chalk White (a paler shade of grey, of which there are 50)
    Name: GreyGhost

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhost View Post
    Old, broken, fat, short..did I leave anything out? I ordered an outside 6.3” x 4.33” x 3.54” waterproof heavy plastic electric junction box from Amazon ($11.99..I would post a link if I had the skills), mounted it to the back of my floorboard with self tapping screws, packed it with sand and put a strip of non-slip tape on the top..the 4.33” additional height is a life saver and gives that leg an additional foot rest on a long ride..
    I Repurpose things all the time ..... you could have saved a bit of money had you used a piece of scrap wood ( that won't break ) ..... JMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    I'll have to try this. My still old hips and knees are just not as flexible as they were 50 years ago,
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Good evening friends.

Thanks folks.

JDT
    I get on my by stepping on the passenger foot peg. I have a backrest and even with standing on the driver floorboards, with my back the way it is, I can't lift my leg high enough but using the passenger pegs helps a great deal.

2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post

I’ve also seen younger bucks just stand on the floorboard and high kick straight over the drivers seat (not roundhouse style), makes me wish I were young and limber again but I’m not so I have to find alternatives

Yeah, I am old buck who just kicks and swings my leg over the trunk, Adventurer, but then I have an added advantage.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Yeah, I am old buck who just kicks and swings my leg over the trunk, Adventurer, but then I have an added advantage.

Pete
    Yes you surely do!
    2021 Spyder RT Limited (Sea-To-Sky)
    2022 Ryker Rally

Spyder Garage

Maybe Y'all should try and do a little stretching before and after your rides. It really helps.

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Have you tried leapfrogging it from behind, similar to the way the Lone Ranger gets on his horse Silver ??
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Can be a real problem if riding two up most of the time and the wife needs get on first. That leaves just one way up, grab the handle bar tight, lean back raise the right foot up tall and slide on. I have discovered no other good way, I have tried them all. Just be alert ya keep that foot up high so not to skin the seat.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    For anyone who has had a full knee replacement and can't bend their knee 100% anymore, this is the best way to mount your RT/RTL. Only drawback is that you can't reach down and fold your passenger floorboard back up. Too much resistance from that angle. I just leave both passenger floorboards down. No more kicking/scuffing my seat.
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Valkrocket View Post
    For anyone who has had a full knee replacement and can't bend their knee 100% anymore, this is the best way to mount your RT/RTL. Only drawback is that you can't reach down and fold your passenger floorboard back up. Too much resistance from that angle. I just leave both passenger floorboards down. No more kicking/scuffing my seat.
    10mm in both holes loosens them up nicely, I only went a half turn and now lowering and raising the passenger boards is a one finger operation.

They even stay put at speeds fast enough to get you arrested for being a super speeder, but easy enough to operate with one finger.

Spyder Garage

Thank you so much !!!

Spyder Garage

I am a double below knee amputee, and my prosthetic legs are quite heavy and I don't get a lot of input from my carbon-fiber feet when I strike an obstacle. I stand on the left floorboard and 95% of the time, if I go slowly, I can swing my left leg over without hitting the seat, passenger backrest, top case, etc.
    Scott (slhanks004)
    Gilbert, AZ USA

2022 Spyder RT Limited - Carbon Black
    • Pedal commander
    • Baja Ron sway bar
    • TricLED tail lights
    • TricLED driving lights
    • Corbin seat
    • BRP rider backrest
    • Lamonster topcuff (2) w/ RAM mounts
    • 12v/USB docking station
    • Garmin Zumo XT