Spyder Garage

Default I've Rigged up a camera mount for my RT - now to see if it works!

I've been thinking of a way to record both front and behind me when I'm out on a ride, especially in a group. I came up with this solution. Tomorrow if Mother Nature cooperates I'm going to take a little test ride and see how well it works out. I'll be interested to see if I can swing the camera around and get a good coverage from the front. This cheapie action cam came with a remote control that actually works. Will wonders never cease.

And yes, you're right, there is no camera in the case. I'm sure someone would feel compelled to point that out so I'll beat ya to the punch.

20230418_131244.jpg

20230418_131251.jpg

20230418_131303.jpg
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

No camera in the case!. That's got to be the slickest remote since sliced bread.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Hey Greg, where's the missing camera.

That should work pretty good.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Is that one of those new stealth cameras?
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    Is that one of those new stealth cameras?
    I hear it has X-ray vision.
    2021 Spyder RT Limited Asphalt Gray Chrome Edition
    2022 Spyder RT Limited Hyper Silver Chrome Edition
    Spyderco Paramilitary 2
    Vanquest Gen 2 7x10 First Aid Trauma Pack
    Garage Door Opener
    iPass
    DJI Action 2
    Tackform Anti-Vibe Phone Cradle
    UltraGard Full Covers
    Show Chrome rear trunk lid lift strut
    Noco Genius 1
    Noco GBX Booster X
    Show Chrome Platinum Grande Adjustable Padded Driver Backrest with Storage Pouch
    Baseus Cordless Inflator

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ingenious. How did it work out?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Here is a short little clip of a longer video I took today. I'm going about 70 mph down the interstate at the time. Ignore the time stamp, it's not correct. This video was shot with a $40.00 Go Pro knock off from Amazon. I was pretty surprised with how little to no vibration was present. I moved the mount from the right side of my bike to the left to better capture both lanes.

This little camera came with an external microphone as well as the internal one. Today was threatening some serious rain which I did not want to get caught out in, so I didn't linger too long. Come tomorrow or the next day I'm going to run the external mic from the camera and stuff it inside my helmet to see how the road/wind noise comes across. But I have to admit, so far I'm pretty pleased with it's performance. I honestly expected to see the video shaking like it was in an earthquake.

Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

The video is very good quality. Good job Greg!
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

You need ma wind sock over the mic.

You need a ear phone warning for those of us wearing head phones.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SLICE View Post
    You need ma wind sock over the mic.

You need a ear phone warning for those of us wearing head phones.
    The mic is inside the camera. I haven't had a chance to test the external mic yet.
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

I thought about using a typical cellphone mount and using an old cellphone with an app that records the front and rear cameras at the same time. That way hopefully I wont have to buy a new action cam.

2017 Spyder RTL

Mods
    Baja Ron Swaybar
    Mesh Intake covers
    LED Skidplate
    LED Headlights and Foglights
    TricLED Dual Color LED A-Arm Running Light Strips with Blinker
    12V Cell Phone / GPS Docking Station with Dual USB Charge Ports
    Quick detatch backrest
    Show Chrome RT Trunk Rack
    Show Chrome Short Spiral Radio Antenna
    Custom Airbrushed paint with ghost flames

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RULINGCHAOS View Post
    I thought about using a typical cellphone mount and using an old cellphone with an app that records the front and rear cameras at the same time. That way hopefully I wont have to buy a new action cam.
    As well as this setup seems to work, I’m not really too happy with it. My main complaint is I can’t tell when or even if I’m recording. The camera has this little tiny blue LED that blinks where it’s recording. Unfortunately my 70+ year old eyes simply can’t see that little light unless I’m holding the camera right in front of me.

My Go Pro has a Bluetooth remote control that I can strap to my handle bars that has nice big red LED that blinks to show its recording. So I was thinking of swapping them around. Put the Go Pro on the back and mount this camera on my helmet where it will be easier to see.
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Rever Tracking/navigation app for motorcycles can also control a GoPro. It will power on and start recording then stop it. This happens when you choose areas you want it to record in.

I know it’s more $$$ but a 360 camera sees all.

Last edited by Flamewinger; 04-22-2023 at 10:14 AM.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    Rever Tracking/navigation app for motorcycles can also control a GoPro. It will power on and start recording then stop it. This happens when you choose areas you want it to record in.

I know it’s more $$$ but a 360 camera sees all.

I'd love to get one of those 360 cameras, but the 300-500 dollar price tag is a little outside my comfort zone.
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Here are some things I learned when I used a GoPro for a few trips a few years ago. The camera really needs to be able to be rotated side to side. After all, all the good scenery is to the sides of the highway! It needs to be high enough to see over the jersey barriers along the road, otherwise you see a lot of concrete in the lower portion of the image. I fixed up a mechanical control on mine so I could rotate it, but it didn't work real well.

You have to be judicious in what you record. Most of what we see while riding gets to be monotonous to the viewer of the video after a few minutes. A final video should probably be no longer than about 15 to 20 minutes, and the subject needs to change at least as often as about every minute.

Editing a video to make it enjoyable for the viewer takes a LOT, I repeat, a LOT, of time. It's also computer processor intensive so a powerful computer is a must. IMO, what GoPro has done is return us to the days of the old 8 mm home movies of 70 years ago. Remember them, and how boring it was to watch a squad of kids racing around the back yard, and watching a panning view of all the aunts and uncles who would turn their heads, or stick their tongue out, and what not? Videos can be entertaining, informative, and enjoyable to watch, IF they are edited to become that way.

All of the above is why I haven't mounted a GoPro on my Spyder in several years, although I seriously planned to. I even bought some stepping motors and such to be able to control the movement of my camera while riding. But I've concluded the best way to avoid boring folks with boring videos was just not record them in the first place!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Here are some things I learned when I used a GoPro for a few trips a few years ago. The camera really needs to be able to be rotated side to side. After all, all the good scenery is to the sides of the highway! It needs to be high enough to see over the jersey barriers along the road, otherwise you see a lot of concrete in the lower portion of the image. I fixed up a mechanical control on mine so I could rotate it, but it didn't work real well.

You have to be judicious in what you record. Most of what we see while riding gets to be monotonous to the viewer of the video after a few minutes. A final video should probably be no longer than about 15 to 20 minutes, and the subject needs to change at least as often as about every minute.

Editing a video to make it enjoyable for the viewer takes a LOT, I repeat, a LOT, of time. It's also computer processor intensive so a powerful computer is a must. IMO, what GoPro has done is return us to the days of the old 8 mm home movies of 70 years ago. Remember them, and how boring it was to watch a squad of kids racing around the back yard, and watching a panning view of all the aunts and uncles who would turn their heads, or stick their tongue out, and what not? Videos can be entertaining, informative, and enjoyable to watch, IF they are edited to become that way.

All of the above is why I haven't mounted a GoPro on my Spyder in several years, although I seriously planned to. I even bought some stepping motors and such to be able to control the movement of my camera while riding. But I've concluded the best way to avoid boring folks with boring videos was just not record them in the first place!
    I have to agree with you. There’s nothing more yawn inspiring then watching a video of someone riding down the interstate for 10 or more minutes, or along winding country roads. There’s just nothing happening unless you happen to come upon an emergency scene or have a high speed police pursuit pass you like happened to me once. That was pretty cool. Not to mention with the Go Pro at least, everything looks like its 2 miles away even though its almost right in front of you. I’m sure there’s a camera word for that effect, but I don’t know what it is.

I really enjoy watching videos taken by folks going through towns and cities. There’s usually a lot going on to hold and keep your attention. I live in a rural farming community, mostly wheat. Can you imagine the excitement of watching 5-10 minutes of wheat fields as far as the eye can see?

I’d really like to give one of those 360 cameras a spin around the block but like I said the cost is a little too steep for me right now. So for the time being at least I’ll have to work within the limits of my technological abilities and budget.
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired