Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Update number 2 on overheating RT in Aus

I rode up to Springwood Suzuki in some fairly warm weather and the Spyder was running very rough by the time I got there, especially between 3 and 4 k RPM. I was not happy at all.
    The mechanic said he thought only Spyders with a pipe were suffering - I said I understood stock ones like mine were too.

After the update it runs like new again. Very happy so far even riding home in 34degrees (C).

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mrb View Post
    The mechanic said he thought only Spyders with a pipe were suffering - I said I understood stock ones like mine were too.
    After the update it runs like new again.
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Wink

I hope the mechanic didn't find 'roo pee in the gas tank...
    Happy SE5 Owner

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
    I hope the mechanic didn't find 'roo pee in the gas tank...
    I dont understand!

What would Indian currency be doing in my petrol tank?

I had a stopover in Bombay once but would not have any rupees around.

Spyder Garage

Got the steering update done back about 1st September. A couple of days later, the steering would "lock" when going straight. I had to fight it to turn left. Did this for about 100 km or so. Finally did a bit of a slalom in and out the white lines up the middle of the road (when I hoped no one was watching). It all went away. Problem fixed.

Now I have the terrible running as noted by some people. Done several thousand kms since the re-mapping for the steering then yesterday (after a 200+ km trip and temp of 32C), the Spyder started hiccuping, burping and far*ing in city traffic (just mobile to ~50 kph). Idles well, runs well over 80 kph, but terribly rough in city/slower traffic. Went out for a ride later after Spyder cooled down. Same again. Even checked fuel (had water in my Roadstar a few years ago) and air cleaner. Noted that a few people have had an issue with rough running some time after the steering re-mapping. May have a trip to the dealer next week.
    ɹəpunuʍop ɯoɹɟ oʞɔıp

Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by dicko View Post
    Got the steering update done back about 1st September. A couple of days later, the steering would "lock" when going straight. I had to fight it to turn left. Did this for about 100 km or so. Finally did a bit of a slalom in and out the white lines up the middle of the road (when I hoped no one was watching). It all went away. Problem fixed.
    That's very worrying Dicko. Problems don't just go away. Your solution may point to a cause. You should get it back to the dealer as soon as possible.

Now I have the terrible running as noted by some people. Done several thousand kms since the re-mapping for the steering then yesterday (after a 200+ km trip and temp of 32C), the Spyder started hiccuping, burping and far*ing in city traffic (just mobile to ~50 kph). Idles well, runs well over 80 kph, but terribly rough in city/slower traffic. Went out for a ride later after Spyder cooled down. Same again. Even checked fuel (had water in my Roadstar a few years ago) and air cleaner. Noted that a few people have had an issue with rough running some time after the steering re-mapping. May have a trip to the dealer next week.
    Mine has been doing the same for a while. My dealer reckons that I have an exhaust leak, and the air being drawn into the exhaust is lying to the oxygen sensor, mucking up the mixture at low speed.

I'm not 100% convinced, but she is booked in to have the gaskets replaced when the 20000km service is done in a couple of weeks.

If he is right, then I think that disconnecting the oxygen sensor should make the problem go away. It will throw codes, but I don't think it will cause a limp mode.

I'm off to Imbil next weekend, but the following weekend I'll give it a go and let you know what happens.

Cheers;

Pogo.

Spyder Garage

The Engine Performance Optimization Update that was issued on September 28, 2009 should correct your rough running between 3,000 and 4,000 rpms.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Improper installation of the first update.

Second update will take care of that.
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Pogo.

Was all packed last week to go on a big road trip to Imbil (~1700kms x 2) via Newnes (Christmas Rally). However, things didn't go as planned. Bad planning and running out of time to get home again. Off to Fish Holes instead (~400km x 2) . 3 Spyders there last year.

Posted some pics today on this site. Some are from Humala (before I started drinking) on the way to Penrith.
    ɹəpunuʍop ɯoɹɟ oʞɔıp

Spyder Garage

Smile

Pogo.

Was all packed last week to go on a big road trip to Imbil (~1700kms x 2) via Newnes (Christmas Rally). However, things didn't go as planned. Bad planning and running out of time to get home again. Off to Fish Holes instead (~400km x 2) . 3 Spyders there last year.

Posted some pics today on this site. Some are from Humala (before I started drinking) on the way to Penrith.
    Sorry to hear that you won't make Imbil, Dicko. I'm leaving on Friday. It will be a quick trip as I'm short on leave and dollars, but worth getting there for the 20th. Enjoy the Fish Holes. I've never done that one. Maybe next year...

I had a look through your pics, and recognised the Humula rally site. A bit bare... ;-)

Cheers;

Pogo.