Spyder Garage

Default Front Sprocket Recall - Dealer Won't Release Spyder to Owner

I have a 2019 Spyder RTL. Took it to my local dealer five weeks ago to have a new rear tire installed and to get a state inspection. About an hour after I dropped my bike off, the dealer called and said my bike was subject to the sprocket gear recall and they were not going to perform the interim fix, nor would they release my bike to me until they got the new gear. That gear is now back ordered and expected 23 July. They have now been holding my bike for five weeks and they claim this is per BRP direction to dealers. Didn't know a Canadian company could impound my bike!!! I have filed a complaint with the NHTSA and with my state's Attorney General, Consumer Protection Office. Attorney is next stop. Has any one else had their Spyder held, against the owner's will, by a dealer due to the front sprocket recall?

Spyder Garage

Damn, does that guy has a death wish?
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Your BS meter should be off the scale. I'm somewhat surprised that you did not know about this recall. You should have received a letter from BRP around last May informing you of the recall, which is a two part process; (1) The interim fix, and (2) Installation of the new sprocket. This process is very specific. The dealer is REQUIRED by both BRP & NHTSA to perform the interim fix as part of the recall process. They should have put your VIN into the system in order to get the sprocket. If they have not done that, you will have a very long wait for the sprocket. Have you contacted BRP about this? Yes they are slow to respond, but they will do so eventually. The new sprocket is fairly widely available as of now, and the dealer should know this and be able to get one way before the end of July. I had the interim repair done last November, and the final fix was done in December. Do you have a relationship history with this dealer, and if so, hopefully it is a good one. Hre is a copy of the recall that I got via Email, and I got numerous ones by mail. Good luck.

Dear BRP Customer,

This notice is sent to you in accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act. BRP has decided that a defect related to motor vehicle safety exists in the following vehicles. As a result, BRP is conducting a safety recall.

Our records show that you own a potentially affected vehicle.

What is the potential problem?
    The front sprocket may be defective and may be subject to premature wear. Over time, the vehicle could lose propulsion. If the vehicle loses propulsion, there is an increased risk of a crash.

Which models are involved?
    Certain 2015 to 2019 Can-Am® Spyder RT and F3 vehicles

What should you do?
    ● BRP will repair your vehicle at no cost.
    ● BRP will be offering an interim repair procedure. The procedure will act as a temporary solution until the front sprocket replacement is available as all front sprockets will need to be replaced. The procedure will be available at your dealer starting on June 30 and should take less than an hour.
    ● The parts for the final repair will gradually be available in a very limited quantity over an extended period, due to supply chain limitations. The replacement procedure should be available at your dealer starting on August 30 and should take less than an hour.
    ● The wear occurs over usage time and varies between vehicles. In case of a loss of propulsion, you will maintain steering and braking functions, but you will not be able to maintain your speed. If you continue to ride your vehicle before the sprocket replacement, we recommend that you go to your dealer for the interim repair procedure.
    ● If you leased this vehicle:
    ○ You shall send a copy of this letter to the lessee within ten working days after the day you received this letter.
    ○ You shall do the same with any future letters about this safety recall.

If after contacting your dealer and the Customer Assistance Center, you are still not satisfied we have done our best to remedy this condition without charge and within a reasonable time, you may wish to write the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE., Washington, DC 20590, call the toll-free Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1.888.327.4236 (TTY 1.800.424.9153) or go to http://www.safercar.gov. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Campaign ID Number for this recall is 22V352.

If you previously had to replace the front sprocket for this issue and BRP did not cover the cost of the repair, please contact us for reimbursement. However, your vehicle will still need to have the recall repair.

What to do if you feel you have received this notice by mistake:
    This notice was mailed to you according to the most current information we have available.If you no longer own this vehicle or some information regarding your name or address are incorrect, please contact BRP at your earliest convenience.

Your safety and continued satisfaction with our products are a priority for us. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you and remain committed to facilitating the process as much as we can.

Thank you for your immediate attention to this matter.

Sincerely,
    BRP Customer Services Department

If you have questions or need assistance, or to find the nearest authorized BRP dealer:

 • Visit www.brp.com
     • Or call: 1-888-272-9222
    8:00 AM to 8:00 PM Eastern time 7 days a week.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

X's 10 with " oldguyin texas ...... it has been my experience with a dealer that if you do anything to *ISS them off they will retaliate .... Get another dealer, yours doesn't appear competent ..... good luck ... Mike

Spyder Garage

I did get the letter from BRP saying that I was subject to the recall. I went to the BRP web site and entered my VIN and it said I had no open recalls. I also reviewed the in formation on this recall that was submitted to the NHTSA by BRP. It stated that bikes manufactured after April 15 2019 were not subject to the recall. My bike was manufactured after that date. As such, I thought my bike might not be part of the recall. Having said this, my issue is not that I am part of the recall, it is that my personal property is being held against my will for an indefinite period of time.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't blame you for being upset.

Spyder Garage

So .. The new pulley and washer are back ordered until July 23 ?? BRP/Can-Am is such a sad and pathetic company. It's a shame none of the big four will get into the Y platform.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Dear Members - before anyone else gets upset about the OP's issue READ His POST - #5 ...... JMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I would go to the dealer and demand that they return my Spyder. If they won't budge I would call the police and file a theft report. Better yet, have someone from the police department go to the dealer with you.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Mike, I agree with you. I am not upset about being part of the recall. I feel blindsided by the recall letter from BRP to the customer that one of two things would happen (1) an interim fix will be performed or (2) the new gear will be installed. The BRP letter did not state that the dealer might hold my vehicle, without my permission, until the part comes in. Where does that authority come from? I asked the NHSTA rep and he said it wasn't from them.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I haven't read the recall notice in awhile. Some recall notices direct the owner to park the vehicle and not drive it until it's been repaired. Does this recall say anything like that?

Of course that doesn't apply in this case if the OP never received such a notice and his Spyder is not shown as having a recall open on it.

Edit: I just reread the notice as quoted above & there is no directive to park the bike.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 04-16-2023 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Added edit comment

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

What dealership did this? Dealer name and location please. Other Spyder owners should know before they take their Spyder in.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DaleG View Post
    Having said this, my issue is not that I am part of the recall, it is that my personal property is being held against my will for an indefinite period of time.
    If the bike had not yet been delivered to you as a new purchase then the law requires the dealer to hold it until it's fixed. But since you already owned the bike that doesn't apply.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I do not want to implicate the dealer, although I am certain that we will not part as friends. I believe the dealers are placed in a "no-win" situation by BRP. Put out a safety recall with no or few parts available? Cannot end well. I think someone will be thrown under the bus and it won't be BRP. With all this said, I still love my Can Am and want it back in my garage. What a shame that BRP skipped the class on customer satisfaction.

Spyder Garage

I say, put your big boy pants on and go get it! Like the guy above said, if you want it back, go talk to the police and see where you stand, it's your property go get it back! Find yourself a new shop to work on your ride. Good luck with whatever you choose.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I have one question and not trying to be smart about it. The only way to do a true interim inspection is to remove the sprocket from the Spyder. I have now seen several Spyders that when the interim check was performed the sprocket had to be destroyed taking it off. In fact, I was told that when my new recall sprocket comes in next week they will probably have to destroy my old one getting it off. If your sprocket was broken while taking it off, just a wild thought but the interim sprockets are now obsolete and probably can’t be ordered anymore because they are out of production. Is by any chance your Spyder sitting at the dealer because there is no front sprocket anymore and they can’t get the interim sprocket to replace the one they broke? I know it doesn’t say anything about a broken sprocket, I know the dealer should say something, but is that a possibility?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-17-2023 at 07:42 AM. Reason: brocket - broken + ;-)

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

i just contacted BRP using telephone and E-Mail Re interim sprocket reimbursement and how to proceed to have Dlr install final fix sprocket. I was told that they will not respond to me for at least 7 weeks as they are "BUSY" REALLY So much for service and cust Relations

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by honsfun View Post
    i just contacted BRP using telephone and E-Mail Re interim sprocket reimbursement and how to proceed to have Dlr install final fix sprocket. I was told that they will not respond to me for at least 7 weeks as they are "BUSY" REALLY So much for service and cust Relations
    What in the world are you talking about. Ran thru this entire thread and could not find any mention by you....................
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

I know some folks were taking their Spyder in for the "recall check" and their pulley failed the inspection. They were then being told they couldn't ride until the new option was ready. Sounds like this might be the case here. May not be the case - but just a plausible reason for this. It does suck and I would be mad as well. I've replaced they pulleys on Spyders a few times already and keep a spare "white" one on my shelf. I refuse to take any of the Spyders under my care to the dealer for the recall until I know for certain things have simmered down and they have the new right pulley.

Also - Original recall did stop in April of '19 but I've yet to see any definitive reason why - the bikes after that date including the new F3s and RTs 20+ all have the same setup. No one has been able to state why they are not included in the recall and I won't be surprised when eventually it is expanded to include them.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post

I was told that when my new recall sprocket comes in next week they will probably have to destroy my old one getting it off.
    I removed my sprocket last year.

I guess if I just attached puller set and kept winding it may have been destroyed.
    Locally we call that Rip +hit and Bust Numbut Outstanding Tech work on action.

I did not do that.
    I'm not a qualified Automotive Tech in any way but strive to do a good job and generally follow best work practice methods.

... but you dont need a Degree in Engineering to know that would be - well - Not best work practice.

I sprayed some penetrating lubricant into the joint several times a day for a few days, before I even attempted the removal. It was still tight.
    Bit of pressure with the pulley removal tool, just a little. Then light tap around the clock with a brass Mallet. Repeat.

Came off nicely.

Spyder Garage

All, I was able to retrieve my Can Am today by speaking to the owner's son. I told him I wanted my bike back and did not want them doing anything else with my vehicle. I had to sign a "waiver and release of liability" which I was happy to do. I would have signed it five weeks ago had that been offered as an option.

I also got an email from BRP today "with respect to my case." They said 8 more weeks as the earliest date for the gear. In any event, I plan to contact another dealer and ask them how they handle interim fix/final fix. I don't want to go through this again without understanding what I am getting into.

As to the gear on my bike, I see no indication that it was touched. I appreciate all the comments on this saga.

Spyder Garage

I called last year and they said maybe February. I called again the first of this year. They did not have a date. The Spyder has not been back to the dealership since the day I picked it up brand new in 2019. I do not expect to ever take it back to the dealership for anything. Too many problems with the dealerships. Eventually the new pulleys will available for purchase. A recall is not really a recall, if they cant fix it when you take it in.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

I called a dealer for a friend in Feb. They had to have the serial number to order the gear. It was ordered and we take the Spyder in this coming Sat. 4-22-23 for the repair. The parts have come in and are waiting on the Spyder.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Hi Dale so happy to hear you got your Spyder back. Good luck with the recall/replacement.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze