Spyder Garage

Default At what timing/milage should I be changing spark plugs? 2011 RT

My 2011 RT is in the shop for service work. At what timing/milage should the spark plugs be changed? Have 18250 +/- on the original plugs.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-14-2023 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I've got over 75,000 mi on 14 RT .... soooooooooooooooooooo I'm thinking about changing them ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

IIRC, you're coming up to a valve check interval, so you can easily do both the check and replace the plugs and wires at the same time, which I think is the manual's recommendation. On the twin cylinder engine, the spark plugs are easy to get to, unlike the ACE 1330.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

The manual says to check valve clearance. But it is highly unlikely that you will need any adjustment at all. Now or in the foreseeable future. Unless you just like tinkering. I would skip that one. If the valves are out, you can hear them ticking.

The spark plug wires go away much sooner than the spark plugs themselves. I don't remember if the 2011 came stock with iridium plugs or not. BRP started out saying that Iridium plugs would not work in this engine. A patently ridiculous statement. Then, a few years later, BRP started sending them out from the factory with Iridium Spark Plugs. Go figure...

In any case. If you change just the spark plugs. It will run worse when you're done than before. Again, because the OEM spark plug wires are of such poor quality. Manipulating them to replace the spark plugs degrades them even more.

I would not say that changing spark plugs/wires on the 998 is an easy task. Not bad once you remove the airbox. But the airbox can be a pain.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I would listen to what Baja Ron says.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

If it ain't broke.....
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White

Spyder Garage