Spyder Garage

Default Is trailer with swivel 1-7/8 coupler ok for spyder?

I had to make a very quick decision yesterday. I purchased an almost new Mini Mate camper for a great price. If I didn’t buy it, 3 other people were right behind me to buy it. I have pulled my previous traditional motorcycle pull behind trailer for about 4000 miles now. I have pulled traditional trailers with the truck for 100,000’s miles so I am very confident and knowledgeable about pulling trailers. The mini mate camper came with a swivel 1-7/8 coupler. It was pulled by a gold wing previously. Instead of removing the swivel part, which would only be removing 4 bolts and remounting the couple to the tongue, I sort of like the extra 6 inches on the tongue provided by the swivel mount. Are there any negatives/downfalls to leaving the swivel mount coupler on the trailer while pulling with the Spyder? I can’t really think of anything wrong or negative except if I was to hit a huge road kill with one side of the trailer and it started to roll over. I guess it could happen but that is only downfall I can think of. Is it ok to leave the swivel coupler on the trailer when pulling with the Spyder?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-14-2023 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Caps

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

You hit the common statement - if the trailer hits a hole/roadkill/etc - it might roll easier - but honestly - I don't see it as a risk. Frankly the same risk applies to a motorcycle towing the swiviel hitch but the benefits of greater lean angles (on some setups) is why people like them. The donor trailer I built my Whiskey Barrel Rig from had a swivel hitch. I tow it with 2 wheels and 3 so I left the swivel hitch. Honestly, with my 2 wheel setup - I don't need the swivel and likely wouldn't buy one deliberately (no need to spend the extra $) but I also have ZERO concerns about a trailer I use already having it. I wouldn't remove one.

Me personally - I say don't sweat it at all - enjoy the trailer as is!
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do you think the trailer wheel would be the first thing to hit the pothole/roadkill? It probably follows pretty close to the track of your Spyder's front wheels.

I never caught on to the whole swivel hitch thing myself. I could park my 2-wheeler on its side stand, then lift the left side of my trailer until it is well over a 45° tilt. Adding in the angle of the bike on the side stand, that was WAY more than necessary for any cornering. The only advantage I can see to a swivel (with a 2-wheeler) is if you happend to drop the bike. Then you might prevent torquing the tongue or the hitch. With a 3-wheeler, there is absolutely no advantage, but there is no harm, either, so use it if you have it.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

With Joshua and Steve. And 6" extra is a blessing when backing.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have one on my trailer and I've had no negative issues. It's possible to add two small pieces of flat stock metal to the sides of the tongue and swivel to stop the swivel from moving. Straightforward modification and easy to do with minimal tools and labor. Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Believe will just be helpful if ever decide to pull with two wheels. Personally I like having spyder & Regular two wheel. & try to alternate between both. (When both working ). & usually might find good road or location with spyder & go back later on other just to see if different experience.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I would leave it, you wont have a problem.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

If I recall right PrairieSpyder had a small trailer (maybe a BRP trailer) that tipped over on its side due to hitting a curb or going down a curb. She is no longer active on this site.

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016,SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera, Show Chrome Back Rest,
    Show Chrome Hitch. Leesure-lite trailer, Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames, BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors,
    DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs, DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags,
    Method to open Frunk and seat without using key, LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post
    I had to make a very quick decision yesterday. I purchased an almost new Mini Mate camper for a great price. If I didn’t buy it, 3 other people were right behind me to buy it. I have pulled my previous traditional motorcycle pull behind trailer for about 4000 miles now. I have pulled traditional trailers with the truck for 100,000’s miles so I am very confident and knowledgeable about pulling trailers. The mini mate camper came with a swivel 1-7/8 coupler. It was pulled by a gold wing previously. Instead of removing the swivel part, which would only be removing 4 bolts and remounting the couple to the tongue, I sort of like the extra 6 inches on the tongue provided by the swivel mount. Are there any negatives/downfalls to leaving the swivel mount coupler on the trailer while pulling with the Spyder? I can’t really think of anything wrong or negative except if I was to hit a huge road kill with one side of the trailer and it started to roll over. I guess it could happen but that is only downfall I can think of. Is it ok to leave the swivel coupler on the trailer when pulling with the Spyder?
    A PIC would help .... but I think I know what it looks like ..... On all my small trailers I connected them using a Toyota " TIE ROD END " instead of a Ball & Coupler ..... worked way better and much harder to steal the trailer ..... Mike