Spyder Garage

Default What happens if I swap sides with Directional tires?

OK.....My car tires on the front of my 2014 ST Are wearing great.....Got aprox. 25 thousand miles on em. NOW....They are starting to wear on the insides a bit. Looks even.................SO What happens if I simply swap sides with em? TYIA For the Info.

Spyder Garage

Seems to me since they're not uni-directional, they can be rotated
    Current: 2022 RTL SE6 Red Marsala and 2012 622 Trailer Lava Bronze,
    Previous: 2014 RTL SE6 Black Currant - 58,746 miles,
    2012 RTL SE5 Lava Bronze - 19,675 miles

Spyder Garage

If both are wearing on the inside. Swapping isn't going to help. That's an alignment issue. Too much Toe-Out. You may have some worn parts. As you get slop in the steering components. Force going down the road makes the wheels want to splay outward. Giving you wear on the inside of the tires.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

OK..... But it looks like if they were rotated side to side that they would even out the wear in time? What happens if a directional tire is run backwards? TY
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-16-2023 at 08:56 PM. Reason: run

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TONYO View Post
    OK.....But it looks like if they were rotated side to side that they would even out the wear in time? What happens if a directional tire is ran backwards? TY
    If you are talking about unmounting them and swapping sides then the inside edge will be outside and vice versa. This would make them last longer. You do not want to run a directional tire in the reverse direction. The water displacement will be backwards and that is a bad thing.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

TY I am talkin bout just swapin em side to side. The water thing would not be a problem for me. I never ride in the rain. Modern weather radar makes it easy to avoid rain the way I ride. TY For the info.

Spyder Garage

You asked for advice on this but dont seem to be picking up the answers.

In a nutshell.

Fitting directional tires backwards, or in your case "just swaping em side to side"

( I guess thats the whole wheel and tire assembly and no actually swapping the tire from 1 rim to the other)

Is very dumb and extremely stupid thing to do.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you do not have any frontend or steering issues, then flipping them and remounting them is a good idea.

Spyder Garage

WELL....Bless your heart and ty for the advice.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-04-2024 at 09:07 AM.

Spyder Garage

Agreed. Ima try it and see. Got nothing to lose really. They are easy to take off and put back on. TY
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-04-2024 at 09:07 AM.

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Agreed. Ima try it n see. Got nothing to lose really.They are easy to take off n put back on. TY
    If you are simply going to swap wheels to the other side, once you do that, look closely and you’ll see that the inside of the tire is still on the inside. You’ll still be wearing on the inside. You’re not accomplishing what you want to do. Go out to your Spyder and do a walk through. Then it’ll be clear.

If you want to swap the inside of the tire with the outside, in order to even out the wear, then you need to un-mount the tire and turn it around on the wheel. Then what used to be on the inside is now on the outside. And by swapping right to left, then the tires will then rotate in the correct direction with the arrow on the sidewall.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 04-14-2023 at 12:52 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

O MY! LOL At me! You are so correct. Dont know what I was thinkin. SO SORRY. Thanks everbody. Embarrassed! SMH At ME!

Spyder Garage

Hallelujah!

If it was my ride I would fit new tires and get an alignment done.

Then it will be all Tickety-Boo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9GryY5oSuI
    Last edited by Isopedella; 04-14-2023 at 01:04 PM.

Spyder Garage

yup. tire stores call this "pull thru and remount on opposite sides"
    Ride safe; shiny side up, greasy side down.

best,
    linguine

2020 RT Limited , Chalk Gray

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Isopedella View Post
    Hallelujah!
    If it was my ride I would fit new tires and get an alignment done.
    Then it will be all Tickety-Boo.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9GryY5oSuI
    Yes, the same answer that Ron provided in the 3rd post, that was missed by the OP, Iso.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

OK.....My car tires on the front of my 2014 ST Are wearing great.....Got aprox. 25 thousand miles on em. NOW....They are starting to wear on the insides a bit. Looks even.................SO What happens if I simply swap sides with em? TYIA For the Info.
    DO NOT run a tire tread in reverse ..... Once an "alignment WEAR issue" occurs, the damage has been done, it really can't be un-done - you might extend the tire life a little, but unless you have a TIRE Changing machine it's not worth the money ..... ' DIRECTIONAL ... NON-DIRECTIONAL ... AYSYMETRICAL etc. is all manufacturer's HYPE, the Actual differences in all of them is too small to measure without very sophisticated equipment .... soooooooooo your Butt won't know the difference any way .... JMHO .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-14-2023 at 08:54 PM. Reason: .

Spyder Garage

Not sure how this got so complicated. Should be a simple answer.

I think we have established the fact that directional tires are not designed to run backwards. Hence, the directional arrows on the sidewall and the descriptive name. But leaving this issue for the moment. Maybe a visual will help.

If you simply swap sides (take each wheel off and remount on the other side) you're going to end up with the same configuration with your wear pattern on the inside. Think of it this way. The outside of the wheel to tire orientation will not change. The wear area will remain to the inside of the wheel when mounted, no matter which side you put them on.

Tire3.jpg

However, if you dismount each tire, turn it around and remount it on each wheel. The wear area will move to the outside of the wheel. Giving you the desired results.

Tire4.jpg

The added benefit, in your case, will be that your directional tires will continue to spin in the correct direction.

Now, my only hope is that my attempt at clarification hasn't made things worse!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I seem to wear the soles of my shoes off on one side more than the other. If I put my left shoe on my right foot and my right shoe on my left foot will that hurt anything or do I have to wear them backwards? Thanks for any help you can provide. Sorry, it's just Saturday moring.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    I seem to wear the soles of my shoes off on one side more than the other. If I put my left shoe on my right foot and my right shoe on my left foot will that hurt anything or do I have to wear them backwards? Thanks for any help you can provide. Sorry, it's just Saturday moring.
    A lot of new trends start on the Left Coast, so, IF the tread is directional on the sole of your shoes, you have our permission to wear them anyway you desire!......Bill
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

OK This is from an old tire company owner retired...It sounds like your front tires are out of alignment here is what I would do
    if it were my Spyder mark the tire and wheel have them dismounted and put on the other wheel and put the right tire on the left
    and the left on the right this way you have changed sides but kept the rotation correct. be sure and have them dynamically ( spin) balanced
    be sure air pressure is correct and then have it aligned... you will be glad you did.
    Dave

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

What BaJa Ron said
    Last edited by Motorcycledave; 04-16-2023 at 12:52 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Send them down here, 2dogs. We put them on upside down, so there is plenty of wear left in them

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

OK.....But it looks like if they were rotated side to side that they would even out the wear in time? What happens if a directional tire is run backwards? TY
    Don’t know but my kid had them going in the wrong direction. Didn’t know it until he had brake work done.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-16-2023 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display + break - brake ;-)
    2019 F3 Limited Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Send them down here, 2dogs. We put them on upside down, so there is plenty of wear left in them

Pete
    Genius! Why didn't I think of that?