Spyder Garage

Default What have you done for Heated Gear Wiring, inc Location - '22 RT?

I just picked up my 2022 Spyder RT Limited last week.

Two things I want to do is: 1: Add wiring for battery tender. 2: Add wiring for heated jacket. I got the battery tender wiring and location figured out (Youtube vids show info) and will put that into place within a week or two.

My question is what are some of you doing for the heated gear wiring? I can not find a video on this subject. Where you hooking up and running the wires?

On my Goldwing, I have the wires running for my Gerbing jacket from the battery under the seat to the front of the seat where I connect my jacket to. I have a wireless remote sitting on my dash with Velcro.

Remember this is for a 2022.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-12-2023 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

running from battery you have access from back of it

Spyder Garage

+1 On direct to the battery for the battery tender. The gear as well I guess while your there, I guess it has an inline fuse.

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Check this out. Post 13 is my finished project:

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...09#post1540109
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-12-2023 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Chesk - Check ;-)
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A battery tender cable with a heavy gauge wire and with an inline fuse and an SAE connector can be used both for connecting heated clothing, and a battery tender. Run the line up and out from under the seat. Keep it under the seat when not in use. Very easy and very simple.

Spyder Garage

I have my battery tender lead coming out of the back of the battery box and terminates on the underside of the left A-arm. I also have a coaxial lead zip tied to the underside of the left A-arm and routed up to the seat. When I need my heated gear I just plug it into the battery tender lead at the A-arm. There is a hole in the plastic piece that forms the pan at the fuel filler spout at the top left side where I routed the coax line thru and it terminates in the space where the fuel cap is located. When in use, I route the coax cable from my heated shirt under the edge of the seat (seat does not make contact in this location so no pressure on the lead or the bikes painted finish). This method does require an SAE to Coaxial adapter lead which I found on Amazon.

You cannot use a battery tender and heated gear at the same time using this method but I cannot foresee when I'd need both at the same time anyway. This method requires only one connection to the battery post and has worked great for me.
    Last edited by Adventurer; 04-12-2023 at 04:03 PM.
    2021 Spyder RT Limited (Sea-To-Sky)
    2022 Ryker Rally

Spyder Garage

Default This is how I power my heated gear.

I also use this for my battery tender. It's a direct line to my battery.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

california heat flush panel mount is what i use much smaller

Spyder Garage

I have a battery tender (SAE) connector and two barrel connectors for heated gear connected directly to the battery.
    The SAE tender connection ends in the frunk. I keep it in the small net pouch on the back face of the frunk liner.
    Yes, I know, this means I have lift the frunk lid and keep it open when I have the battery tender connected.
    This may seem like a PIA to some, but it has the advantage of not letting me drive away with the battery tender still connected.
    The barrel connectors terminate at the driver's seat and are stored curled up inside the space under the seat. When I need them, I simply uncurl the wire and extend the connectors outside the seat for both driver and passenger.
    Each connection has it's own fuse and is fed from the back of the battery through the body cavity.

A small piece of unsolicited advice:
    As long as you are there at the battery terminals, you might as well install either spilt, or star washers to make sure the battery connections don't vibrate loose. These Spyders are very very picky when it comes to battery connections. Anything less than a solid connection at the battery will cause all kinds of havoc, such as intermittent power steering, as well as throwing a bunch of codes at you.
    DAMHIKT
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I connect directly to the battery because it’s easier and I have heat when parked waiting for friends to arrive. Otherwise I’d have to keep the bike running to have heat.

On my F3 I run the controller to a pouch on the left side with LaMonster’s drink holder with pouch. The controller is also wireless capable and I got the wireless controller mounted to the left handlebar. Easy install with no wires.

On my RT I used an extension to run the controller to under the seat and also used the wireless controller.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks all for your inputs.....

Spyder Garage

I installed a receptacle here for my heated gear. Connected direct to the battery. Can use it for the charger as well. I should have installed it a bit higher.
    Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2022 Spyder RTL- dark trim
    1969 Plymouth Barracuda 340-S Fastback
    1969 Barracuda, 6.1 Hemi restomod, convertible
    1970 Plymouth Superbird, 440-6bbl

Peoples Republic of Calif. Upper Mojave Desert
    Spyder Garage

I installed a fuze box behind the left panel on my 21 RT. 1 hot lead to the battery, ground is picked up local. 1 SAE for the battery tender and 2 hook ups for heated gear stored under the seat when not in use. It also feeds my Zumo XT with spare's Easy to do......

IMG_2961.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-16-2023 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Fixed attach display ;-)
    2021 RT LT

Spyder Garage

Default Heat Gear Wiring

I took my brand new 2022 Can Am Spyder RTL to a Ride Now and spoke to the tech to explain what I wanted to accomplish. My 2018 was easy to take apart and I did not want to take all the Tupperware off the new bike yet and risk scratching the surfaces. The tech ran the wiring from the battery and up to the small opening on the Left side under the seat. I can pull the pigtail out and use it when needed and then leave it under the seat when not in use or needed. I think I paid for 30-45 min of service to have the wiring ran. To me, it was worth it. Good Luck!