Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Dies Momentarily - anyone else had this issue?

My old GS SM5 has shut down momentarily on 3 occasions over the last few months. Twice it's done it while slowing to make a turn off the throttle; yesterday it did it while cruising at 80kph with immediate power loss then within a second or two, the dash lights and dials do the start routine with 'press mode button' as if the bike had been parked and ignition just turned on, but the engine kicks back on even before getting to press the mode button. The trike's only non-stock electrical accessory is heated grips, which have been there for years. No fault code. I have owned the trike since new. It has 103,000km on the odometer.

After it happened the second time I fitted a new battery a month ago as the one in there was 5-6 years old, so I was unpleasantly surprised when it did it yesterday in the middle of a 400km ride with my beloved pillion. There have been no other symptoms of anything amiss. I will check the relays and fuses for security and cleanliness today.

I don't recall ever reading of such an issue - has anyone else?

TIA.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Can't say that I've heard of this happening too often before, Freddy, altho I reckon there's at least one other earlier mention amongst the older threads (can't recall ever seeing a resolution tho? ); but for what it's worth, I do wonder if there might be a loose connection/dodgy plug either on the back of your dash module or on the ECU itself?? I can't really think of anything else outside compromised wiring somewhere or a short within one of those modules that'd cause the system to 'inexplicably shut-down then restart' like that.... except for maybe a short in the ignition wiring/plug itself?

I wouldn't read too much into the engine kicking back on again as you described tho, that is something I've seen/experienced before, and it'll occur readily enough if you're still rolling in gear when/if the Ignition circuit is momentarily interrupted for whatever reason...usually, at least in my personal experience, that reason has been an ID 10 T Operator Error - something I've been known to resemble on a few occasions! I've also noticed that it generally takes some minutes of ignition power interruption for the system to actually insist on you doing the whole 'press mode' thing again, so even tho it might flash on the dash for a second or so, it's always skipped ahead & started running again, so the system 'insisting on you pressing mode' thing is not something I've encountered when things have been suddenly shut down while the Spyder's been actually moving (not yet anyway ) - thankfully!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-11-2023 at 08:43 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Almost similar with SE5 still undetermined
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...k-engine-light

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yeah Freddy, agree that it's some type of electrical power issue, as though something is losing its connection momentarily. I recall that on these older machines, sometimes one of the relays in your fuse box can work themselves loose and just need to be pushed back in. And folks have also removed them in order to clean the pins and then pushed them back in. Could even need to just replace the relay with new. So, I think that you're on the right track there. Plus, re-visit your battery terminals and make sure the connections are still tight.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the reminder about the relays, Doug. I think I even have a couple of spares I bought a dozen years ago for a rainy day. And those battery bolts are good and tight. I made sure they were when I fitted the battery a month ago. It's a real pain to get to, as you know. I'll have my 17yo grandson here tomorrow and we'll investigate it together - didn't get a chance today.
    Last edited by Freddy; 04-12-2023 at 07:47 AM.

Spyder Garage

I checked the relays in the fuse box and they were secure. Mine has the 'updated' lid with the rubber lining on the under side of the lid to prevent the relays vibrating loose like they did on the earlier ones. The 4 relays are the same so I swapped them around to see if that makes any different in the future. All the fuses were secure too, including the set under the seat. It could be a while before I report back, as the Spyder is 1 of 5 bikes I have.

Spyder Garage

Update: Since swapping a few relays around 6 months ago, the issue has not resurfaced - must have just been a poor connection on one of the fuses or relays I removed and replced.

Spyder Garage

My trike has done this several times. After about 3 or 4 minutes with the switch off the panel stays on then turns off, I can restart it after the panel turns off. It is concerning, but I haven't thought much about it because I just replaced the wiring harness and DPS and it's still running in limp home mode. I need to wait until next income tax return to get it to the shop and have them put it on BUDS and initialize the DPS and clear the recurring VSS error. But I think it only happens after a shifting error. I don't think it likes down shifting after a stop very much. Sincerely William
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-16-2023 at 04:03 PM. Reason: ' 's ; the the; ;-)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wtmjr View Post
    My trike has done this several times. After about 3 or 4 minutes with the switch off the panel stays on then turns off, I can restart it after the panel turns off. It is concerning, but I haven't thought much about it because I just replaced the wiring harness and DPS and it's still running in limp home mode. I need to wait until next income tax return to get it to the shop and have them put it on BUDS and initialize the DPS and clear the recurring VSS error. But I think it only happens after a shifting error. I don't think it likes down shifting after a stop very much. Sincerely William
    "I don't think it likes downshifting after a stop very much" ????? .... Can you elaborate on this ......Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-16-2023 at 11:28 PM.

Spyder Garage

I had it happen one time on my 2014 RTS. It was a dangerous situation for me. I was pulling off a side road onto a busy highway. It just quit. Fortunately for me, there was no traffic when I made my move. It has never surfaced again.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Okay Mike, when I come to a quick stop without time to fully down shift, leaving the trike in 3rd or 4th gear, then at a full stop with the engine at idle down shifting to 1st.Then it has died when starting forward But twice it occurred when driving very slow in 2nd for a turn or in a parking lot. William

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wtmjr View Post
    Okay Mike, when I come to a quick stop without time to fully down shift, leaving the trike in 3rd or 4th gear, then at a full stop with the engine at idle down shifting to 1st.Then it has died when starting forward But twice it occurred when driving very slow in 2nd for a turn or in a parking lot. William
    OK thanks ....I somehow missed that you have a MANUAL trans..... sorry ...Mike

Spyder Garage

I have had it happen to my 2012 RTL in making slow speed 90* turns. Hasn't happened enough to get a pattern and it has been awhile since the last time it happened.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze