God's Country, Keystone Heights, FL "Happy Owner"
    Spyder Garage

Default Performance test today...

Temp was 78 about 2pm today... humidity about 55% so I took the 08 SM5 for a spin. Did a normal ride over some of the roughest pavement I know of in my area. Wanted to see if it caused any missing or other problems. Steering working perfectly. No hi-cups or missing in the engine. Tried to lift a front wheel in the sharp curves no success. With the suspension set on 5 it is a real stable platform. This is the unit I made the twin manifold for... it has GL1800 mufflers installed.
    There is one thing that is puzzling though... These mufflers are real quiet on a 6 cyl 1800 but they do report on this V-2. I was getting more power than you can imagine, 30 to 80 in a very short distance. RPMs to 9 thousand in 2, 3, and 4 before you could blink.

Then I did the test that makes us all cringe... 4th gear at 30 mph for about 4 miles. Smooth as silk at this demanding low speed. I do not recommend doing this... I was testing for engine performance. I remember my grandfather use to idle around in high gear on the farm truck. Drove me nuts. "No one could ask for a machine to run better." No coughing, spitting, sputtering just pure raw power when asked to deliver it.

I'm pleased as punch with the performance. /Ken
    Last edited by krb1945; 11-04-2009 at 06:45 PM.
    Ken krb1945 "Happy Owner"
    USN DAV 100% 'er
    Proud grandfather of a former United States Marine
    1 2008 SM5 PE 548
    1 2008 SM5, 1 2009 SE5
    2008 GL1800

Spyder Garage

and thanks for the update.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by krb1945 View Post
    ...There is one thing that is puzzling though... These mufflers are real quiet on a 6 cyl 1800 but they do report on this V-2....
    Lower number of cylinders are always harder to muffle. The 'Wing mufflers are baffled for 6 cylinders. A V-8 with dual glasspacks always sounds mellower than the same glasspack on a four cylinder.

God's Country, Keystone Heights, FL "Happy Owner"
    Spyder Garage

Default Crusin Dave...

I appreciate that info. I just received a used pair of Susuki mufflers. I'm going to make another lower manifold for these and see how they sound on the black widow.
    Ken krb1945 "Happy Owner"
    USN DAV 100% 'er
    Proud grandfather of a former United States Marine
    1 2008 SM5 PE 548
    1 2008 SM5, 1 2009 SE5
    2008 GL1800