Spyder Garage

Default Installing the BRP Billet Front Shock Adjusters?

I received the Billet Shock Adjusters for a birthday present. Has anyone installed them with regular garage tools yet? I know springs can be tricky to deal with. I didn’t know if I should remove the shocks from the Spyder and take them to the dealer to change the adjusters or if someone had a good experience doing it at home. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I searched the forums but didn’t find anything. Thanks!
    Happy 2009 SM5 Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Default Update:

I decided to see what I could do to install the Billet Shock Adjusters today. You have to remove the side panels on both sides to get to the top bolts on the shocks. There is not a ton of room to work with but enough. I decided to put my weight on the front to compress the springs; I used some heavy-duty 1/2" zip ties to secure the springs in that position. Then I removed the shocks from the Spyder and learned it was not enough compression to remove the top plate from the shock to ultimately remove the spring. Oh well what next...

I got in the car and hit the local Discount Auto parts store. They had three different types of spring compressors but all were made for car springs and would not work. It went to three different motorcycle shops before I found one that could do it. It only took them about 30 minutes to pull them apart and put the new Billet Adjusters in. They apologized for a couple of scratches they put on the barrel of the shock (the bottom side where no one except for me will know) and charged me $32.

Not quite what I was hoping for but it's completed now.
    Last edited by tbspyder; 11-05-2009 at 11:25 AM.
    Happy 2009 SM5 Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

The part you replaced is that cheap pot-metal piece that sets the firmness of the shock? Let me know because one of mine started to chip and crack at one spot.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Spyder Garage

Another makeshift trick is to compress the spring with a ratchet strap.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Another makeshift trick is to compress the spring with a ratchet strap.

Thanks, Lamont. I have, probably, 20 ratchet tie downs right in front of my face, and didn't consider their value for this task... Simple, yet elegant!
    '08 SE5 #123 - Red - F1 Slider - BRP Comfort Seat - Spyder City 3" Riser

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by M2Wild View Post
    The part you replaced is that cheap pot-metal piece that sets the firmness of the shock? Let me know because one of mine started to chip and crack at one spot.
    I have the billet shock adjusters. One of the stock ones got messed up during adjustment. If I wanted to replace stock with stock, it would have been covered under warranty; both the part and the install. Instead, I paid for the billet shock adjusters and the install was covered under warranty.

The kicker is that Carlo at BRP checked with his engineering contact and the billet adjuster isn't any stronger than the stock one.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I have the billet shock adjusters. One of the stock ones got messed up during adjustment. If I wanted to replace stock with stock, it would have been covered under warranty; both the part and the install. Instead, I paid for the billet shock adjusters and the install was covered under warranty.

The kicker is that Carlo at BRP checked with his engineering contact and the billet adjuster isn't any stronger than the stock one.
    I was wondering about that - thanks for posting what you found out.

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    That may be them saying they will do the job just fine but you can bet the billet adjusters won't pop in two when you go to adjust them like the cast ones do now.