Spyder Garage

Cool Being seen as a safety factor - here's what I've done!

Considering how distracted drivers are these days, I am quite anal about being seen (not for my ego, but for safety reasons). To that end, on my 2020 RT, please see the photos, which dramatically improve my frontal conspicuity.
    Headlighs - stock BRP LED'S
    Turn signal LED's on mirrors - from Lamont's Garage
    Low front dam LED strip - from Lamont's Garage
    Fog or Driving lights - Clearwater Lights (Darla) Note: Clearwater also has the mount

IMG_7300 copy.JPG IMG_7303 copy.JPG IMG_7304 copy.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-10-2023 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly state the reason for this thread! ;-)
    John B.
    Current ride: 2020 Spyder RT-s Petrol Metallic Blue dark with OEM top case

Spyder Garage

Just be aware that while extra lights MIGHT make you more noticeable while you're at a distance, once you get within about 30 metres (ie. within the 'danger zone'! ) there's a lot of research and evidence that suggests they do very little 'extra' in making you any more visible/noticeable to others, ESPECIALLY if the lights are mounted down low & below their line of sight/the bottom edge of their window!!

A MUCH MORE noticeable tactic is to avoid approaching others in a direct line - if you can, ride so that you move back & forth ACROSS their field of vision repeatedly, even just a little &/or in their peripheral vision, and you stand a far greater chance of being noticed than you do just by mounting more lights!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-10-2023 at 07:22 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Brighter just makes you a better TARGET, IMHO.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

It''s all good. Let's go riding......
    John B.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for sharing! The extra lights look great.

Spyder Garage

Hi Xwingnut,

Those Clearwater LEDs look nice and they are close to, if not at the top of the highest quality aftermarket driving lights available to the motorcycle world.

Can't say for the Spyder with low driving lights, but those lights mounted on the forks of a motorcycle really stand out with the "triangle of light" they produce. Can't say if they are great for added light on the road at night but they are easier to spot in the daytime on an approaching motorcycle.

Do the Clearwater Darla LEDs help much with your visibility while riding at night, or are they mounted too low for adding good visibility?

That is a clean mounting system as the 2020-plus RTs don't have a lot of good, stable mounting options for driving lights. Does it help you see at night as much as it helps oncoming traffic see you?

Thanks,

Rod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ks4hcoach View Post
    Hi Xwingnut,

Those Clearwater LEDs look nice and they are close to, if not at the top of the highest quality aftermarket driving lights available to the motorcycle world.

Can't say for the Spyder with low driving lights, but those lights mounted on the forks of a motorcycle really stand out with the "triangle of light" they produce. Can't say if they are great for added light on the road at night but they are easier to spot in the daytime on an approaching motorcycle.

Do the Clearwater Darla LEDs help much with your visibility while riding at night, or are they mounted too low for adding good visibility?

That is a clean mounting system as the 2020-plus RTs don't have a lot of good, stable mounting options for driving lights. Does it help you see at night as much as it helps oncoming traffic see you?

Thanks,

Rod
    Thanks @ks4coach. I have used the Darla's for about 8 years on 3 different bikes and they do provide more lighting at night and in fog. I've noted many occasions over the years where drivers started moving to pull out and stop. The mounting position on the fender brackets allows the lights to point where the wheels point. I should add that I'm not affiliated with Clearwater in any way, other than loving their products. Happy Wednesday!
    John B.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I try to ride my 2020 RTL as stock as possible with maybe reflective red strategically placed here and there. I know I'd screw up that Spyder BUSS fooling around with electrics. That's just me, I'm not a critic of lights.

Spyder Garage

-

I added driving lights ( 10watts ea.) at about mirror level. They don't look good or integrated, but they are VERY visible and really light up the night with their high mount. They are switched with the fog lights. All front lights are LEDs Also have the sequential front fender lights and a high mount tail light. The Circuit Yellow paint helps a bit.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pidjones View Post
    Brighter just makes you a better TARGET, IMHO.
    ……as many ambulances, fire trucks and police cars have found with their emergency lights and sirens blaring, pidjones

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Just a suggestion. Ride with you high beams on during the daytime. 2 more bright LED's facing the enemy! Obviously, dim the high beams at dusk when meeting on coming vehicles.
    2021 Spyder RTL chalk/black/chrome bought in March 21. Previous rides: 2019 Spyder RTL, Orange/chrome. 2015 Harley Heritage, 2002 Harley Heritage, 77 Harley Electra Glide, 75 Harley Electra Glide, 72 Harley Sportster (first bike bought new)
    My Spyder Mods
    Rider backrest, F&R cup holders; F3 handlebars; BRP LED driving light; LaMonster front fender and mirror turn signals, LaMonster Saddlebag lights, Auxito LED rear turn signal blubs w/ built in load resistor; Brake lite modulator/flasher; LaMonster flags on trunk; Garmin Zumo XT. LaMonster Bluetooth adapter for Phone & GPS through Spyder speakers. LaMonster floorboard risers; FOBO tire pressure monitors, Vredestein front and rear tires; BajaRon sway bar.

Spyder Garage

Yes , high beams in daylight helps . I also leave my fog lights on always . 2018f3 limited chrome.

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker01 View Post
    Yes , high beams in daylight helps . I also leave my fog lights on always . 2018f3 limited chrome.
    I totally agree!

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper