Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Auto tune / install and HMF / do it yourself

Looking for those who use and have installed the PCV with autotune

Mine arrives wed and I already have the HMF as well as a KN filter ready to go. I have always done my own work unless I get to a tool I do not have which is rare but I will readily admit when it comes to electronics I get "leary".

I imagine the exhaust slip on will be like many I have done before and have no worries there but the research on the auto tune has shown I will need to have a "bung" welded on the Y pipe? is this correct?

Those who have done this can you give advice on the difficulty level and or location and how much of the faring I will need to remove? I will do like normal and dive in but thought I would check with you guys and see if there are some major pointers you learned while doing your install and what kind of time I need to put aside. I have found videos about auto tune install but not for the spyder.

Also I am sure this will come with the PCV and autotune but I believe you have to download a map to start with ? or will the autotune do that from the get go?

Again thank you for your time.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I literally JUST finished with my PCV and auto tune install. You do have to have a bung welded in, not bad for someone who knows what they are doing. My buddy is a pipefitter so he did it in like 10min. As far as time, set aside a good amount of time to make sure all is done correctly. You will pretty much take all the tupperware off and the air intake. I placed the actual pcv and auto tune box in a diff spot than the directions say but whatever works for you. The Auto tune does not come with model specific directions either but it is really only one way you can hook it up. Once all is done go on power commanders website and download the maps and find which one best suits you. The auto tune will tune it from there. I used to run the JB pro and had nothing but issues. Just got back from the first ride with pcv and it was amazing!!

Ultimate Spyderlover
    Spyder Garage

I installed all these things myself as well. Show your exhaust shop this picture if they've never done it before. Powercommander will supply the bung, so all they need to do is weld it in....

The PCV and autotune are very easy to install. Don't worry about difficulty....you'll get through it. No one is less mechanical or electrical than I am. The main part of the setup is replacing the engine injectors with the pcv injectors. The stock injector on the right side of the engine is the hardest to reach with your fingers. Just keep digging in there, and it will eventually just come out, lol. Trust me, you'll know what I'm talking about when you do it.

Here's something else I want to show you. It is very easy for us rookies to forget to put stuff back together, partly because we never knew we took it apart. But near the left injector there is a map sensor the directions tell you to unscrew. If you don't look carefully, you'll miss the hoses that connect to it. I forgot to put the hoses back (because I never saw I disconnected them), and the bike went to acting nuts, and I thought it was the PCV, and it wasn't. Here's a pic......

The piece at the bottom with the green label is the map sensor. The two hoses are at the top kinda angling towards the wires. When you screw the map sensor back in place, don't forget to attach the hoses back to it. (Apparently no one has done this screw up but me, lol)

The instructions are gonna tell you to tap into wires for power. Here's a pic of an example of the PCV tapping into the throttle position sensor (white brown wire tap)

The autotune needs to tap into a wire as well. Get a spare fuse out of the inside lid of your fuse box, place it in the fuse postion marked accessory (switched), and tap your autotune wire into it for power. The instructions will also tell you to ground the ground wires of both the autotune and the PCV. I grounded them both in the same spot (the instructions will show you where to put the pcv but not the autotune). So just put the autotune in the same location it says the pcv. There's enough room on the bolt to do it. (You'll know what I'm talking about when you get to it).
    Last edited by Kratos; 07-23-2012 at 11:08 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree with all of the above and those are great pictures. The instructions say to mount it by the fuse box. This didn't work too well for me. I didn't think there was enough room there, so I mounted it under the seat on the left side with velcro.

I just used the preloaded map and let the autotune do the rest. I took it for an extended ride then hooked up the laptop and downloaded the settings from the autotune to the PCV. I have only done this once and the bike it running great. My wife had to leave town and needed the laptop, so I will dial it in better when she returns.

My dealer didn't know what a PCV w/autotune was, so I didn't want them doing the work. The install is time consuming, but not difficult. My mistake was not installing the additional bung and O2 sensor. I got a check engine light. The directions weren't clear on this part. Firefly let me know I needed to install it. After that, all was well.

Spyder Garage

wow thank you all very much... this will be a major help for me and answers my question about getting the shop to weld on the bung.

The pictures will be great refrence for me... guess I will remove the Y pipe and then get back home and finish up.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default question for rs spyder owners

Powercommander only list 2009 an up. Have any one used the pcv 5 with autotune on the 2008 ?.
    Wondering what is different on the 2008 ?.
    thx.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by deerslayer View Post
    Powercommander only list 2009 an up. Have any one used the pcv 5 with autotune on the 2008 ?.
    Wondering what is different on the 2008 ?.
    thx.
    My wife's is a 2008. It works just fine. I don't think there is any engine performance or operational differences between a 2008 and 2009.

Spyder Garage

I agree that under the seat is a good place to mount it. You might need to hook up your laptop and thats a very convenient place

Just got mine last week.

Question. Is there anything to tweak with the Autotune besides setting up the AFR table? Was not real clear on the fuel tables. Also remember to activate both sensors in software. My dealer did not. This also means Cylinder Advanced.

What settings do you all have on yours?
    2022 RT Limited , Carbon black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dochands View Post
    I agree that under the seat is a good place to mount it. You might need to hook up your laptop and thats a very convenient place

Just got mine last week.

Question. Is there anything to tweak with the Autotune besides setting up the AFR table? Was not real clear on the fuel tables. Also remember to activate both sensors in software. My dealer did not. This also means Cylinder Advanced.

Ahhhh dangit now your making it more complicated.... I've gotta stop overthinking this process

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

This is how my install ended up looking. Auto Tune sitting on the plastic and the PC attached to the underside of the frame. I also used the same ground for the Auto tune that the PCV says to use and tapped into the 12v switched wire for power

ResizedImage_1343151676229.jpg

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Auto tune ?

Hello, What part numbers are every one using for powercommander? And which Auto tune kit? AT -200 OR 300 ?
    THX

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hello, What part numbers are every one using for powercommander? And which Auto tune kit? AT -200 OR 300 ?
    THX
    This is off powercommanders website:
    Powercommander V
    SKU: 25-004

AutoTune (Single Channel)

SKU: AT-200

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

THX
    PCV is 25-004
    Autotune is AT-200. The AT-300 has dual O2 sensors for monitoring each cylinder separately.

Go here and select Make:Bombardier - Model:Can-Am Year:2009 and the parts will come up.

http://www.powercommander.com/powerc..._autotune.aspx

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just an FYI. The best price I found a few weeks ago was $500 for both at indysuperbikes.com

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dochands View Post

Just got mine last week.

I let the autotune tell me what the AFR should be then downloaded it into the map and saved it. I didn't manually change any settings and don't know what my settings are right now. Wife is gone for another week with the laptop so I can't check. I still have some playing to do. I wasn't able to get he throttle to zero out before I quit. Only got it to 33% at idle.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I let others deal with the wiring and welding... I just make a mess when I do that.

But I've got the software setup down.

Turn the key to get power but don't start it.

Make sure your throttle reads 0 when it's closed and 100 when it's wide open. This might require cable adjustments and/or a BUDS TPS reset (dealer).

Under Options, Environment I would select Show auto tune tables even if pc is not enabled (helps when you're looking at maps with the bike off) I could create backup maps on connect and on sending map to device.
    Turn on Cell tracer, 0.25sec.

Make sure you enable auto-tune

You have 3 main things to look at.
    Under Map position 1, Primary Module, Autotune you will see Target AFR and Trim.
    Target AFR is the autotune target air fuel ratio. This is what the autotune is going to try and achieve for a given rpm/throttle position pair.
    Trim is what that autotune has learned since you last reset the trim tables. It is showing how much fuel to add or remove from the fuel map.

Below that you will see Fuel. This is the actual fuel map the power commander is using. It shows how much fuel is being added or removed from what the stock ECU is recommending.

The Target AFR chart should be completely blank in the area below 40% throttle and below 6000 rpms. This is the closed loop area and the autotune has no control over this area. When you load a map from dynojet this will already be blank. Everything else will probably say 13.2. I don't think dynojet tuned ANY of their downloadable target afr maps at all. But they're "safe" (rich is safer than lean.)

target afr closed loop.jpg

The Fuel map DOES effect closed loop but the numbers won't ever be changed by auto tune trims. The maps from dynojet fill the closed loop area with all 5's, 8's or 10's depending on exhaust and intake combinations. They don't really make any sense (the put 10's for stock intake and exhaust, and 5's for the Ron wood race exhaust and open intake?) Lower numbers = leaner = less fuel = higher mileage. Too lean and you'll produce more heat until something gives out, or premature detonations from over heating damage the engine.

fuel map.jpg

You'll notice I don't have all 8's in the closed loop area. There are 3 areas I deviate from the dynojet maps.

At low rpms I find a little extra fuel helps smooth things out but that isn't a power generating area so there's no point in overdoing it.

At higher rpms and low throttle position is your cruising area. A little leaner here will increase fuel economy. I get about 30mpg highway and frequently better mileage than my wife (27mpg) when we ride together. Her GS has (had?) the same exhaust and intake but no power commander.

Then there's that funny spot around 3250 rpms. This extra fuel I added manually has completely eliminated a hiccup I had in that area. You'll notice that above 20% throttle the autotune agrees with me and has continued the trend to add more fuel at this rpm. Every motor has it's quirky spots.

BTW, I want to point out that I'm not recommending anyone use any of the values in those images. Just using them as an educational prop. Every Spyder is it's own, every setup unique, every environment different, and every riding style personalized.

Back to the Trim table for a moment. (no screen shot, it's all 0's)

The way this all works together...

At a given rpm and throttle position the stock ECU has a fuel value that it uses to calculate the time to open the injectors. The longer they're open the more fuel. For completeness sake this is called the injector pulse width. Also for the sake of education, there are other values used to calculate fuel such as intake air temp (you have checked that your ambient air temp sensor is installed/relocated haven't you?) and the amount of air flowing into the intake (mass air flow or MAF sensor) and so on (gear selector?)

If closed loop the ECU then checks the stock O2 sensor. The stock O2 sensor on a Spyder is not very sensitive. Most of the time it flips between 2 or 3 values at best which doesn't give an accurate read of uncombusted air flowing past it. But the ECU then uses this "low/ok/high" value to further adjust the fuel for the next cycle (milliseconds later.) To help prevent inconsistencies so pc/at can do their job. Dynojet's O2 Optimizer is installed inline with the stock O2 sensor and pretty much fakes the signal from it to say "GIVE ME ALL THE FUEL YOU CAN!" which in this case is 10% more which is the limit the ECU can provide. (trivia: The Hindle performance exhaust claims 4HP or approx 5% more power which should be within the +/- 10% range the stock ECU is capable of. That's where the claims of "you don't need a fuel computer if you just have a Hindle" come from. However the stock O2 is practically useless so it rarely makes significant adjustments one way or the other.)

The power commander then looks up the rpms and throttle position and modify the amount of fuel that the ECU has requested by adding the amount on the Fuel Map. Done with that.

In closed loop the Auto Tune module goes to sleep. That's right, it does nothing.

Hopefully this comes out to the amount that gives what you want (power, economy, smoothness etc). You can tweak this by manually adjusting the fuel map in the closed loop area (as I described above.)

In open loop the stock O2 sensor is not read by the ECU and the Auto Tune wakes up and checks the newly installed high resolution O2 sensor and make a precise adjustment to the amount of fuel requested in an attempt to achieve the Target AFR from the chart.

It takes this calculated difference and stores it in the Trim table.

You need to apply this Trim table periodically which will add the Trim value to the current Fuel Map permanently. If you don't apply it you won't be getting the full benefit of having the Auto Tune. From experience it takes at least one "bad" run through an rpm/throttle intersection before it "learns". The next time through that rpm range the Auto Tune has learned and it will be able to achieve the Target AF. But the first time it'll stumble through it at the stock value. Apply your trim every time you stop for the first few weeks after installing or after any significant changes (new mods, change in climate, altitude, solar flares...)

What numbers should you use? I dunno. Dynojet ships Target AFR's of all 13.2's across open loop. That's purely to cover their ass. More fuel doesn't always mean more power.

14.65 is supposed to be the best AFR for "perfect combustion". To mean that means both high efficiency and low emissions. Stock my Spyder runs between 14 and 15 (with occasional random jumps to 17 or 21 just to be irritating and backfire a bunch). Since adding the power commander it runs fairly close to the numbers I put in the Target AFR table. I find targeting over 14 doesn't work so well. Just doesn't feel right. 13.6-13.8 feels better. Many people run 13.2 everywhere like Dynojet's base maps and are happy. I think it's personal taste.

There's a lot that goes into finding the right numbers. Like checking plugs between runs etc. But I'll leave that for another lengthy post.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sny View Post
    I let others deal with the wiring and welding... I just make a mess when I do that.

But I've got the software setup down.

Turn the key to get power but don't start it.

Make sure your throttle reads 0 when it's closed and 100 when it's wide open. This might require cable adjustments and/or a BUDS TPS reset (dealer).

Under Options, Environment I would select Show auto tune tables even if pc is not enabled (helps when you're looking at maps with the bike off) I could create backup maps on connect and on sending map to device.
    Turn on Cell tracer, 0.25sec.

Make sure you enable auto-tune

You have 3 main things to look at.
    Under Map position 1, Primary Module, Autotune you will see Target AFR and Trim.
    Target AFR is the autotune target air fuel ratio. This is what the autotune is going to try and achieve for a given rpm/throttle position pair.
    Trim is what that autotune has learned since you last reset the trim tables. It is showing how much fuel to add or remove from the fuel map.

Below that you will see Fuel. This is the actual fuel map the power commander is using. It shows how much fuel is being added or removed from what the stock ECU is recommending.

The Target AFR chart should be completely blank in the area below 40% throttle and below 6000 rpms. This is the closed loop area and the autotune has no control over this area. When you load a map from dynojet this will already be blank. Everything else will probably say 13.2. I don't think dynojet tuned ANY of their downloadable target afr maps at all. But they're "safe" (rich is safer than lean.)

target afr closed loop.jpg

The Fuel map DOES effect closed loop but the numbers won't ever be changed by auto tune trims. The maps from dynojet fill the closed loop area with all 5's, 8's or 10's depending on exhaust and intake combinations. They don't really make any sense (the put 10's for stock intake and exhaust, and 5's for the Ron wood race exhaust and open intake?) Lower numbers = leaner = less fuel = higher mileage. Too lean and you'll produce more heat until something gives out, or premature detonations from over heating damage the engine.

fuel map.jpg

You'll notice I don't have all 8's in the closed loop area. There are 3 areas I deviate from the dynojet maps.

At low rpms I find a little extra fuel helps smooth things out but that isn't a power generating area so there's no point in overdoing it.

At higher rpms and low throttle position is your cruising area. A little leaner here will increase fuel economy. I get about 30mpg highway and frequently better mileage than my wife (27mpg) when we ride together. Her GS has (had?) the same exhaust and intake but no power commander.

Then there's that funny spot around 3250 rpms. This extra fuel I added manually has completely eliminated a hiccup I had in that area. You'll notice that above 20% throttle the autotune agrees with me and has continued the trend to add more fuel at this rpm. Every motor has it's quirky spots.

BTW, I want to point out that I'm not recommending anyone use any of the values in those images. Just using them as an educational prop. Every Spyder is it's own, every setup unique, every environment different, and every riding style personalized.

Back to the Trim table for a moment. (no screen shot, it's all 0's)

The way this all works together...

At a given rpm and throttle position the stock ECU has a fuel value that it uses to calculate the time to open the injectors. The longer they're open the more fuel. For completeness sake this is called the injector pulse width. Also for the sake of education, there are other values used to calculate fuel such as intake air temp (you have checked that your ambient air temp sensor is installed/relocated haven't you?) and the amount of air flowing into the intake (mass air flow or MAF sensor) and so on (gear selector?)

If closed loop the ECU then checks the stock O2 sensor. The stock O2 sensor on a Spyder is not very sensitive. Most of the time it flips between 2 or 3 values at best which doesn't give an accurate read of uncombusted air flowing past it. But the ECU then uses this "low/ok/high" value to further adjust the fuel for the next cycle (milliseconds later.) To help prevent inconsistencies so pc/at can do their job. Dynojet's O2 Optimizer is installed inline with the stock O2 sensor and pretty much fakes the signal from it to say "GIVE ME ALL THE FUEL YOU CAN!" which in this case is 10% more which is the limit the ECU can provide. (trivia: The Hindle performance exhaust claims 4HP or approx 5% more power which should be within the +/- 10% range the stock ECU is capable of. That's where the claims of "you don't need a fuel computer if you just have a Hindle" come from. However the stock O2 is practically useless so it rarely makes significant adjustments one way or the other.)

The power commander then looks up the rpms and throttle position and modify the amount of fuel that the ECU has requested by adding the amount on the Fuel Map. Done with that.

In closed loop the Auto Tune module goes to sleep. That's right, it does nothing.

Hopefully this comes out to the amount that gives what you want (power, economy, smoothness etc). You can tweak this by manually adjusting the fuel map in the closed loop area (as I described above.)

In open loop the stock O2 sensor is not read by the ECU and the Auto Tune wakes up and checks the newly installed high resolution O2 sensor and make a precise adjustment to the amount of fuel requested in an attempt to achieve the Target AFR from the chart.

It takes this calculated difference and stores it in the Trim table.

You need to apply this Trim table periodically which will add the Trim value to the current Fuel Map permanently. If you don't apply it you won't be getting the full benefit of having the Auto Tune. From experience it takes at least one "bad" run through an rpm/throttle intersection before it "learns". The next time through that rpm range the Auto Tune has learned and it will be able to achieve the Target AF. But the first time it'll stumble through it at the stock value. Apply your trim every time you stop for the first few weeks after installing or after any significant changes (new mods, change in climate, altitude, solar flares...)

What numbers should you use? I dunno. Dynojet ships Target AFR's of all 13.2's across open loop. That's purely to cover their ass. More fuel doesn't always mean more power.

14.65 is supposed to be the best AFR for "perfect combustion". To mean that means both high efficiency and low emissions. Stock my Spyder runs between 14 and 15 (with occasional random jumps to 17 or 21 just to be irritating and backfire a bunch). Since adding the power commander it runs fairly close to the numbers I put in the Target AFR table. I find targeting over 14 doesn't work so well. Just doesn't feel right. 13.6-13.8 feels better. Many people run 13.2 everywhere like Dynojet's base maps and are happy. I think it's personal taste.

There's a lot that goes into finding the right numbers. Like checking plugs between runs etc. But I'll leave that for another lengthy post.
    head... dizzy.... thoughts.... fear..... ahh crap what have I gotten myself into.

I guess I was hoping "autotune" was just that ... auto

Well guess I will get it hooked up and see what i see

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderraven View Post
    head... dizzy.... thoughts.... fear..... ahh crap what have I gotten myself into.

I guess I was hoping "autotune" was just that ... auto

Well guess I will get it hooked up and see what i see
    I agree..just got confused. I just set mine to accommodate the auto tune and made sure that throttle was at zero and 100% when wide open. Loaded my base map, let auto tune make adjustments and RIDE! My Spyder has never ran this smoothly. I am loving it!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a map I have made myself that is based on performance all the way. If you would like it let me know and I will email it to you to try. I still get 30-32 MPG with it. Yes the Autotune does all the work like you had hoped but you still need to tell it what you want at first or it will just use the default map, either way it will work just not as well as it could.

"Make sure your throttle reads 0 when it's closed and 100 when it's wide open. This might require cable adjustments and/or a BUDS TPS reset (dealer)." Sny made this statement earlier and this is huge. When I installed mine I did not get any trim values between 70%-100% throttle but the Dynojet techs walked me through changing the Powercommander data base to match the Spyders values. Very easy if you need help with that.

I have the RT and not the RS but that really dosn`t change how AFR`s work. The differance between what works great for your Spyder and a 350 Chevy motor are surprisingly close to the same. It is just the small tweaks that make each work.

Mine runs very strong and butter smooth through 100% of the RPM range under all conditions but as stated before every machine is different. Good luck.

If you need help I am sure anyone of us would be glad to help over the phone when you are ready to do some of the map and trim stuff. Just ask if you do.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I realize it looks like a lot but it's not too bad.

After the physical install, set up the software (enable autotune etc), calibrate your throttle, Load the closest map you can get from Dynojet (don't worry, they're nearly all the same) and ride.

Every now and then apply the map.

If you want it to run better, then you have to start thinking about what you want to change and we can help with the how part.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Another Question.

Good Morning, Looks like all are using Auto Tune (AT-200) . ?
    Since we have a twin cly. Why are we not using the (AT-300) ?
    THX
    gus

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sny View Post
    I realize it looks like a lot but it's not too bad.

After the physical install, set up the software (enable autotune etc), calibrate your throttle, Load the closest map you can get from Dynojet (don't worry, they're nearly all the same) and ride.

Every now and then apply the map.

If you want it to run better, then you have to start thinking about what you want to change and we can help with the how part.
    What do you mean "every now and then apply the Map?" I thought it constantly updated the map?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 5PYD3R View Post
    What do you mean "every now and then apply the Map?" I thought it constantly updated the map?
    When you ride, the auto tune is "logging" recommended adjustments for the map but not changing the map. The changes have to be downloaded into the map. At some point in a perfect world, the adjustments would be +1, -1, etc and are not worth the time to make changes to the map.

The autotune does not make automatic changes to the map on the fly.

This is the way I have done it to date.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

THX
    gus
    For me, without have a lot of techinical knowledge, why try to tune seperate cyclinders when tuning them together works very well.

Ultimate Spyderlover
    Spyder Garage

THX
    gus
    The variation between both cylinders is minute when it comes to stock engine and everyday riding. The only reason to really get into separate cylinders is if you're building the engine into a drag racing machine with cams, bbk, intake modifications, etc...