Spyder Garage

Default 2023 rally, Metallic Vibration around 3000-4000rpm 15-35mph

I have noticed a metallic vibration around 3-4000RPM, but only around 15-35mph, once Im over 40mph its gone.
    This doesnt seem to be the intakes vibrating since its sounds like metal not plastic. Seems to be coming from where the driveshaft connect to the tranny on the left side. If I let off the throttle when its happening the sound immediately stops.
    I had first checked the header heat shield bolts & the left motor mount, they were tight.

Anyone with similar issue & solution? Anything in that area of the bike that dealer has to assemble & may have not done correctly?

thanks

Spyder Garage

Could be the heat shield on your muffler.

Spyder Garage

Do you mean the one on the pipe from the header? or is there one on the muffler itself?

Spyder Garage

Hmmm...I thought there was one above the muffler but I was wrong.

Maybe something loose in your muffler? Seems like some sort of harmonics vibration.

Spyder Garage

I'll see if I can get a video of it tomorrow. Dealer sent me an email to bring in for "500 mile service" which I was just going to pass on since Ill be doing all maintenance myself. But now I think I will bring in if I cant figure this out myself. Should not be getting this kind of noise on a brand new bike with only 450 miles.

Spyder Garage

Let the dealer sort it out, byke is still under warranty....
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Piratezz View Post
    Let the dealer sort it out, byke is still under warranty....
    I have an appointment at 1pm on Thursday with dealer. Im just the kind of guy that does everything himself whether its cars, home improvement etc. Got a PDF copy of the dealer service manual last night.

Spyder Garage

For what it is worth my 2019 Rally does the same thing. I tried to get really worried about it but failed miserably.
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tslepebull View Post
    For what it is worth my 2019 Rally does the same thing. I tried to get really worried about it but failed miserably.
    Did you ever get any info on whats causing it?

Spyder Garage

Not really, in 4 years it has not gotten better or worse. I did put on a louder exhaust so I cant hear it anyway.
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tslepebull View Post
    Not really, in 4 years it has not gotten better or worse. I did put on a louder exhaust so I cant hear it anyway.
    I hear that! Since its brand new im gonna make a stink about it if needs be with the dealer, if was used and I couldnt figure it out Id just throw a header & muffler on and call it a day too.

Spyder Garage

We're you able to get a sound clip of it?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Markubis View Post
    We're you able to get a sound clip of it?
    I forgot to record one before I went to the dealer this afternoon, shes sitting there overnight for them to figure out. Turns out theres a brake light recall they will do to.

I saw the mechanic test riding it, and he spoke to me after saying he wasn't really hearing a loud noise. I'm not sure what the service manager told him, so I explained just drive it around 3500-3900 rpms ~30mph for a minute and you will hear it multiple times. It's not super loud, but I can hear it through my Shoei full face helmet. He wants to check the exhaust & springs specifically, thinks it might be some vibration from that at certain RPM. He said he will test drive it a few more times too.

Weird thing was he asked me who installed the exhaust. I thought he was joking, I'm like... "you guys did, or Can-Am did when you assembled my brand-new bike 4 weeks ago!" I haven't done anything to it. Not sure why he thought it was aftermarket. This crap makes me nervous with comments like that. Hopefully they figure out, if not I'll call Can-Am and ask how to proceed.

If the sound's still there tomorrow, I'll definitely grab a video...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-13-2023 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

So I got the usual dealer BS about the noise "oh it doesnt sound like anything dangerous for the bike or the rider" & "we have another one here that makes the same sound". They told me they noted the complaint for the record in case something comes up in the future. They said if I wanted to pursue the noise further contact Can-Am directly.

Heres 2 videos of the noise, again occurs between 3500-3800 rpm roughly, and only when giving it throttle. Im purposely trying to stay in that range in the videos. If you go over 4k & let it drop in RPM without throttle there is no noise. What does this sound like to you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0XyU37iQUw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBFv0d5t3W0

I ordered a pair of these Akrapovic silicone wrapped exhaust springs, im hoping they eliminate it because it sound like it could be exhaust related. If I gun it from a stop, which I dont normally do, I usually get through the RPM range without hearing the noise.

I plan on getting one of the quieter/moderate RLS mufflers, hopefully that will block out what im hearing if the new springs dont. Maybe a header too, will try taking off the stock heat shield and seeing if that has any effect.

Akrapovic_P_S1_detail__94527.jpg
    Last edited by Badmotorf1nger; 04-16-2023 at 07:14 PM.

Spyder Garage

Beats me.

Just don't hear anything unusual.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    Beats me.

Just don't hear anything unusual.
    are you watching on a phone? much clearer on a computer with speakers
    If you do hear it does yours make the same metallic buzzing noise?

Spyder Garage

The noise was sorta hard to hear over all the wind noise on those vids, but maybe that's just my pretty much abused & worn-out hearing? Courtesy of too much time spent playing with things that go bang repeatedly &/or very loudly... and by far the least of the cumulative damage!

Still, back to the noise - from what I could hear, I'd reckon that sounds like an exhaust noise - either the springs rattling; a heat shield rattling; or a loose internal baffle in either the Cat components or the Muffler itself rattling... And from what you describe & as others have suggested, it would appear to be a harmonic type vibration - you get it when the sound hits & holds the right frequency range for long enough, making the offending part vibrate, but not if the sound passes thru that frequency range too quickly, cos you're either on the throttle hard or rolling off the throttle quickly....

If it IS that, then you'd hope that those springs and a new muffler would sort it fairly easily - but I guess you'll find out!

Good Luck!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Badmotorf1nger View Post
    are you watching on a phone? much clearer on a computer with speakers
    If you do hear it does yours make the same metallic buzzing noise?
    I watched it on a desktop with reasonable speaker.

+ 1 on the sound and wind noise.

Suggest you tape a sock or some cloth over the mike and have another go.

Linger a little in the zone maybe, slightly slower acceleration make it do its thing?

Spyder Garage

I want to help. Just cannot hear anything unusual.

Raining this morning. After it stops I will fire up my Ryker and see if I hear anything unusual. You have to ride the bike to rev it up but I will try both in gear and on the quiet road at my house. My exhaust is stock. Sure would like a quiet one without the CAT but doubt there is one. Without any gearing to cut the rpm's down at speed, a loud exhaust would get obnoxious quickly.

Hard to make a good Harley exhaust sound out of anything but a Harley.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    I want to help. Just cannot hear anything unusual.

Raining this morning. After it stops I will fire up my Ryker and see if I hear anything unusual. You have to ride the bike to rev it up but I will try both in gear and on the quiet road at my house. My exhaust is stock. Sure would like a quiet one without the CAT but doubt there is one. Without any gearing to cut the rpm's down at speed, a loud exhaust would get obnoxious quickly.

Hard to make a good Harley exhaust sound out of anything but a Harley.
    the cat is in the header on this bike or muffler? or both?
    yeah ill try a again with my samsung in a sock & see if it helps, i dont have an actual microphone to record with

Spyder Garage

Ok the mike area on your phone......Gotta get it out of the wind.....Dont really need any visuals...just better sound..

Its something loose or within the power-train set up.

Have you raised it a bit and gone around stuff underneath lightly tapping and listening for something loose yet.

When you do your next run try to linger a little in the zone maybe, slightly slower acceleration make it do its thing.

Spyder Garage

DARN YOU - I hear something. First off, the rattle, starting around 3K rpm does continue over 4K rpm. At that point it is still there but the wind and engine noise covers it.

Rain let up, sun out and a bit windy when I left. No helmet or hat so I could hear best as I can. Empty road with no distractions. Watching the rpm's I immediately heard a rattle sound that started around 3,000 rpm. Soon as I backed off the throttle it stopped. Well maybe not instantly but it does stop. Tried that upwards of 4,000 rpm and when the throttle is backed off, it drops down after maybe a few seconds or less. Then I got an idea.

When it was rattling, a rattle that is neither a high pitch nor a low pitch, just some kind of fast rattling sound, I started probing bike parts. First, I thought it might be something in the belt drive but then reached down with the left hand and pushed on those panels next to the parking brake. Really think that rattle sound changed and maybe instantly stopped. Yet, the sound also seemed to be coming from the throttle side of the bike. Did not try cruise control on, (2022 Sport) but tried to lift my right foot and push on the panels below the throttle. That also seemed to change the sound from that side.

Conclusions. It is a very minor sound yet distinctive when you listen for it. Now, darn you, I will have to turn off my brain so I can enjoy the ride. It just may be related to BOTH panels above or on either side of the engine. Possibly just loose plastic panels that could be quieted by putting the bike on cruise and pushing down on both sides at the same time. Only issue there is you would need a third hand to steer the bike. All this leads to my conclusion summation.

Nuts to it. To me it is no big deal. Back in 1975 I switched from my Harleys, BSA's, Triumphs, Honda fours, Royal Enfield and AJS's to a 750 BMW and then more bikes, many of which I have today. Gary Loukes was the salesman and he gave me some advice. "Do not listen to the bike ... just ride it". I remember valves tapping and moving on the rockers during my first solo ride through Central America - far from physical and mechanical help. Told myself what Gary told me. Same thing when a friend took me on an airplane ride over Lake Erie. Out over the water he said the engine will go on "automatic rough".

Think I'll have a beer. "Life goes on until you're gone but the road goes on forever". Enjoy the ride.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-17-2023 at 08:58 PM. Reason: it ;-)

Spyder Garage

I fixed the problem. It was the OEM header to exhaust springs. I swapped the left spring with one of these & now noise is gone completely. Was gonna do both but I don't think it's needed. Wasn't so much the silicone wrap, but the smaller diameter of the spring not touching the pipes anymore except where it hooks on. Put the spring on with the hooks in same orientation as the pic, front facing out, rear facing in. Hope this helps anyone who hears the same noise on their Ryker.

Now I can throw on a Treal muffler and listen to that instead haha

Akrapovic Exhaust Spring - P-S2 60mm
    Akrapovic_P_S1_detail__94527.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-21-2023 at 02:55 AM. Reason: toughing - touching ;-)