Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Can dystopian world views be useful to society?

Recently there was an interesting Off Topic thread having to do with an animation expressing a dystopian world view. I thought that, much like '1984' and 'Animal Farm' before it (among many other acclaimed works of fiction), it foretold of a world devoid of personal choice, controlled by a malevolent, unseen and unaccountable 'force'.

Lately the press has been covering the heated debate about whether Artificial Intelligence needs to be throttled before it leads to a dystopian world controlled by the unelected few who control AI, or even an uncontrollable AI.

For instance, the following is from an article in the Washington Post;

"Inside Silicon Valley’s AI sector, fierce divisions are growing over the impact of a new wave of artificial intelligence: While some argue it’s imperative to race ahead, others say the technology presents an existential risk. Those tensions took center stage late last month, when Elon Musk, along with other tech executives and academics, signed an open letter calling for a six-month pause on developing “human-competitive” AI, citing “profound risks to society and humanity.” Self-described decision theorist Eliezer Yudkowsky, co-founder of the nonprofit Machine Intelligence Research Institute (MIRI), went further: AI development needs to be shut down worldwide, he wrote in a Time magazine op-ed, calling for American airstrikes on foreign data centers if necessary.

The policy world didn’t seem to know how seriously to heed these warnings. Asked if AI is dangerous, President Biden said Tuesday, “It remains to be seen. Could be.” The dystopian visions are familiar to many inside Silicon Valley’s insular AI sector, where a small group of strange but influential subcultures have clashed in recent months. One sect is certain AI could kill us all. Another says this technology will empower humanity to flourish if deployed correctly. Others suggest the six-month pause proposed by Musk, who will reportedly launch his own AI lab, was designed to help him catch up."

Is this the fear that drives authors to create compelling stories about a dystopian future?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

If I can't elect them, I don't need them.
    2015 RT SM6

Spyder Garage

He who controls the data, controls the world. It doesn't matter who you vote for. What matters is what gets counted (data).
    "1984" under-shot a few decades but we are not far from it's completion. New-speak and 'keep your head down' seems to get broader every day. My son changed all his light switches so he can say, "hey google turn on the kitchen light". So the google servers hear EVERYTHING SAID in the house! HELLOOO!

I think that's why I still ride. I never think about world events while I'm 'on the road'.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I would be quick to point out that synonyms for "artificial" include bogus, phoney, false and contrived; I prefer real intelligence, experience & wisdom.

2020 Spyder RT Limited; Deep Marsala/Chrome

Formosa AZ01 165/50/R16's on PPA Recluse wheels up front
    General Altimax RT43 215/60/R15 on factory rear

Primary exhaust: RLS Cat delete w/ his baffle; secondary, custom built w/ Flowmaster HS2
    Suspension: BajaRon swaybar (highly recommended!), M2 coil-overs, front & rear (also highly recomended!)
    Extra LED lighting and misc. to suit my needs/wants

Spyder Garage

Anything electronic can be and is used for control. It's the by who and for what that gets blurred, by design. Television a seemingly crude by todays standards form of AI has been subliminally enslaving since 1928. The latest crap, ie internet, smartphones, self organising graphene nanoparticles in vaccines, Chat gtp and just for fun, vision transmitting toilet paper (who knows how demented these sicko's are and what did everyone panic buy when covid lockdowns hit) all need to be flushed to regain lost freedoms.
    I would not be the least bit surprised if it were proven this technology had been used centuries ago and we've been memory deleted of it but it's back again .
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

''Experts" say eating red meat makes the sun hot
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

The visiting beings from outer space are far more advanced than we are, as it seems they figured out time travel. Here today and gone a nano second later.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    He who controls the data, controls the world. It doesn't matter who you vote for. What matters is what gets counted (data).
    "1984" under-shot a few decades but we are not far from it's completion. New-speak and 'keep your head down' seems to get broader every day. My son changed all his light switches so he can say, "hey google turn on the kitchen light". So the google servers hear EVERYTHING SAID in the house! HELLOOO!

I think that's why I still ride. I never think about world events while I'm 'on the road'.
    and that *itch stores EVERYTHING She hears ...... It's the same for TikTok ......JMHO .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Every program has a back door so the creator can look, listen and steal.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Recently there was an interesting Off Topic thread having to do with an animation expressing a dystopian world view. I thought that, much like '1984' and 'Animal Farm' before it (among many other acclaimed works of fiction), it foretold of a world devoid of personal choice, controlled by a malevolent, unseen and unaccountable 'force'.

Lately the press has been covering the heated debate about whether Artificial Intelligence needs to be throttled before it leads to a dystopian world controlled by the unelected few who control AI, or even an uncontrollable AI.

For instance, the following is from an article in the Washington Post;

"Inside Silicon Valley’s AI sector, fierce divisions are growing over the impact of a new wave of artificial intelligence: While some argue it’s imperative to race ahead, others say the technology presents an existential risk. Those tensions took center stage late last month, when Elon Musk, along with other tech executives and academics, signed an open letter calling for a six-month pause on developing “human-competitive” AI, citing “profound risks to society and humanity.” Self-described decision theorist Eliezer Yudkowsky, co-founder of the nonprofit Machine Intelligence Research Institute (MIRI), went further: AI development needs to be shut down worldwide, he wrote in a Time magazine op-ed, calling for American airstrikes on foreign data centers if necessary.

The policy world didn’t seem to know how seriously to heed these warnings. Asked if AI is dangerous, President Biden said Tuesday, “It remains to be seen. Could be.” The dystopian visions are familiar to many inside Silicon Valley’s insular AI sector, where a small group of strange but influential subcultures have clashed in recent months. One sect is certain AI could kill us all. Another says this technology will empower humanity to flourish if deployed correctly. Others suggest the six-month pause proposed by Musk, who will reportedly launch his own AI lab, was designed to help him catch up."

Is this the fear that drives authors to create compelling stories about a dystopian future?
    Same debate about the "Manhattan Project"...and artificial insemination....and cloning. Wish we had a Time Machine, so we could look ahead at 2123 and see how things worked out before making decisions like these.
    John B.
    Current ride: 2020 Spyder RT-s Petrol Metallic Blue dark with OEM top case

Spyder Garage

I am fearful for the future.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

The thing that scares me about AI is the way it is being allied to driving. We are already seeing ads for driving no handed, for not paying attention to your driving, and even for driving with no human in the driver's seat. The AMA has already warned that the current AI does not always recognize motorcycles at intersections and in adjacent lanes or in the same lane in slowing or stopped situations. That is too many possible recognition error possibilities for me. To answer your question Pete, yes, I think a dystopian vision can be useful in avoiding that very problem. To quote a famous line from a popular dystopian movie "just because we can doesn't mean we should!".
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-10-2023 at 07:27 PM. Reason: aalied - allied + others ;-)

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Every program has a back door so the creator can look, listen and steal.
    I don't understand what you mean, buddy. Are you referring to Siri and other types of AI-driven interactive devices in the home? If so, i agree so don't use them.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 04-10-2023 at 12:45 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

You left out the Church of Scientology.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

My limited view of AI is each morning I find myself thanking Alexa when she gives me the weather and the latest news, and she tells me what a nice person I am. Then, I think what little she really knows.