Peoples Republic of Calif. Upper Mojave Desert
    Spyder Garage

Default Is this what Programing a new key takes & costs?

So I thought it would be a good thing to have an extra key made for traveling. Wife has a spare with us just incase with the original spare at home. Ended up not being so simple. The dealer in Riverside Ca. Didn't have any blanks in stock, then said they had to also have the bike there for the ECU and a service charge with an appointment. So, $75 for the key, 1 hour shop time, so knocking on $175. Does this sound right? I have never lost a key before, but could get ugly if i did
    2021 RT LT

Spyder Garage

No not right: yes need bike & least one working key required, inflation may have key cost up (was closer $50 blank). Dealer knows local place to cut to match. Buds & working key required to add new keys to ECU list, but not additional service charge have another service coming up? just get done then. Understanding is dealers have the chipped blanks &just about any hardware shop that copies keys can cut the match(<$20)

Additionally the chip less blanks (Ilco X270) “valet key” When cut will open but not start, can be handy to have.

**note there is a max # of keys it will recognize & store, bring all spares**

Happy Easter
    AF40CE3A-8E6F-43D9-A251-38CD9748CB4D.jpeg

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

The above info is very accurate. I'm not sure what a new blank key costs, or the fee to cut it. But programming it takes a minute after accessing the BUDS connector. There is a maximum of 10 keys that can be programmed.
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Surprise, surprise! Sometimes dealers do not provide good and accurate information! As mentioned above, the process is very simple. Get a blank from the dealer, take it to a key-maker and have it cut using your good key as a guide. Take the new, cut key back to your dealer and they can program it to your bike. That programing takes only a minute or two..... at the most. BTDT..... My local ACE hardware shop cut the key for free and my dealer did not charge to program it to my bike. Cost was only for the blank which was around 50 bucks if I remember correctly. Good luck..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Thanks to all that responded! So I ended up buying a blank from a dealer on amazon. $65. $10 less than the dealer I went to. I have a local guy I like for cutting the blank. He already cut a regular Ilco for me. So I live over 100 miles from the closest dealer, I also make it a point to do as much of my own maintenance as I can, so no scheduled dealer appointments. My thought is to have the chipped spare stored in the trunk, and carry the un-chipped key on my person. Next time I'm driving to the city, I'll call a dealer that's available to see what their requirements are.
    2021 RT LT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Surprise, surprise! Sometimes dealers do not provide good and accurate information! As mentioned above, the process is very simple. Get a blank from the dealer, take it to a key-maker and have it cut using your good key as a guide. Take the new, cut key back to your dealer and they can program it to your bike. That programing takes only a minute or two..... at the most. BTDT..... My local ACE hardware shop cut the key for free and my dealer did not charge to program it to my bike. Cost was only for the blank which was around 50 bucks if I remember correctly. Good luck..... Jim
    Exactly what I did. Bought a key from the dealer here in Austin, $79.00 Went to the best locksmith here to have the blank cut to match. $20.00 for that. Got the key cloned when I got my rear Kumho, package deal, no charge. I count myself lucky.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

I had the same situation when I bought my Spyder. For me the second key ran just over $200, and the procedure was the same. Our closest dealer is 20 miles away, so: buy the blank key (40 mi), take it to my local Ace Hardware (4 mi and a couple bucks), take the key and Spyder back to the dealer (40 miles and 1/2 hour).
    And I thought replacing my car key was expensive ($180).
    2016 S6E , Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    No not right: yes need bike & least one working key required,
    Correction. That is the case for 2013 & earlier. From 2014 on all that is needed is one key and BUDS. The key programming in 2013 & earlier requires a Master Key, and at least two keys. The programming is all in the DESS. Unless things changed in 2020 the max number of keys for all years is 8.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinTX View Post
    Exactly what I did. Bought a key from the dealer here in Austin, $79.00 Went to the best locksmith here to have the blank cut to match. $20.00 for that. Got the key cloned when I got my rear Kumho, package deal, no charge. I count myself lucky.
    Cloned??? I think you mean programmed. Only the keys for 2013 & earlier could be cloned.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PJveetwin View Post
    Thanks to all that responded! So I ended up buying a blank from a dealer on amazon. $65. $10 less than the dealer I went to. I have a local guy I like for cutting the blank. He already cut a regular Ilco for me. So I live over 100 miles from the closest dealer, I also make it a point to do as much of my own maintenance as I can, so no scheduled dealer appointments. My thought is to have the chipped spare stored in the trunk, and carry the un-chipped key on my person. Next time I'm driving to the city, I'll call a dealer that's available to see what their requirements are.
    So now you have a key ready to be used after it is programmed by BUDS into the ECM, right? I take it you will carry the unchipped key on your person so you can retrieve the chipped key from the trunk if you lose your primary chipped key, right?

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    There is a maximum of 10 keys that can be programmed.
    Did that change in 2020? My 2014 service manual says the max number is 8, and I'm pretty sure the key system is the same from 2014 to 2019.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    **note there is a max # of keys it will recognize & store, bring all spares**
    All the spares are not needed to program in a new key using BUDS on the 2014 & later Spyders if they have already been programmed in. The key codes stay in the ECM table of authorized keys until they are deleted.

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PJveetwin View Post
    So, $75 for the key, 1 hour shop time, so knocking on $175. Does this sound right? I have never lost a key before, but could get ugly if i did
    I lost one of my two OEM keys. (Dunb a$$) Ordered "two" from the dealer @ $75 each. Had them cut at a reputable lock shop, $10. The keys were too expensive to trust Lowes/Home Depot or an Ace Hardware part time employee to cut them. Programming at the dealer only took minutes while I waited and watched. They charged me a 1/2 hour shop rate to program the keys. At that time I think it was $50. So you are close to being given a fair price.

Spyder Garage

That is correct

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    So now you have a key ready to be used after it is programmed by BUDS into the ECM, right? I take it you will carry the unchipped key on your person so you can retrieve the chipped key from the trunk if you lose your primary chipped key, right?
    That is correct
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-12-2023 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Merged... %-/
    2021 RT LT

Spyder Garage

It is likely that you will have to go to the dealer to program the new keys into the bike. It is possible that someone near you has BUDS2 and can program the keys for you. Ask around.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    It is likely that you will have to go to the dealer to program the new keys into the bike. It is possible that someone near you has BUDS2 and can program the keys for you. Ask around.
    Thanks, but I live in a remote area with only a couple of other Spyder riders, all with very limited mechanical skills. So will be going out of town eventually
    2021 RT LT

Spyder Garage

My dealer made a new key(i had the original) did the programming for 70$
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White