Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Re TYRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEMS. Which one?

So this self-confessed Kiwi Luddite is considering dragging himself into the 18th century or so re these TPMS systems.

Yep it’s true, only considering mind you.

Naturally I’m not really a fan of phone apps but will concede now and again. It’s a good option.
    But I’m swinging towards the display type right now as a real time preference.
    When I ride my phone is in my pocket and have no burning desire to change that.

Thought I would start a new thread rather than add to I hate this as it keeps it all in one thread but that what prompted it.

So…let us begin with a couple, well 5 actually starter questions.

I see there are a few to choose from and some are powered to the bike and others have Solar.

I’m guessing you just unscrew the valve fitting like the OEM valve cap to add air?

How long will those button batteries last?

Waterproof/resistant?

And lastly which one do you use and would you buy that one again or swap for something else?

Cheers and looking forward to being Egdemicated somewhat.

Spyder Garage

The only one I've ever looked into is the FOBO2. But that is a phone app thing.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Iso, I have only used FOBO as it works a treat for me, as a phone app. As such, it is not “powered” to anything. Sorry, but I have never looked at alternatives as FOBO fits my needs.

Yep, unscrew the sensor just like a valve cap to add air.

The button batteries last around 6 months for me, and then it’s as simple as unscrewing the sensor, unscrewing it’s two halves, sliding the battery out, sliding the new one in, and reversing the removal procedure.

Yes, they are waterproof.

Also, they come with locking nuts. I have never used them as they are a pain, and have had no issues.

Regarding your phone, you can set your high/low tyre pressure, then you simply check your pressures on your phone as you approach your Spyder, put your phone in your pocket, and it will vibrate and sound a loud warning of your choice if those parameters are exceeded.

I’m still running the original FOBO 1, and have been for 7 years. If they cark it, I would swap to the more modern FOBO 2.

I have never had to call FOBO support, but I believe a couple of users have said that they are a bit hit and miss.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I'm considering getting this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZL2ZB92...lig_dp_it&th=1 I had a similar system on my GL1800 that worked well as long as it was on "T" stems.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I also have the FOBO2, and as previously mentioned have never tried or investigated anything else. Peteoz says that he replaces the button battery every 6 months, but from what I've seen with mine, the battery lasts well over a year, possibly 2 years. Like Pete0z suggests, check your tyre pressure prior to getting on the byke and then put your phone in your pocket. You will be notified by either a vibration (if your phone has that option), or by a LOUD ring or buzz if you have a catastrophic loss of air. I also do not use the locking rings....don't seem to need them. Good Luck.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

We use these on our Spiders and they work well. https://www.amazon.com/Monitoring-Un...s%2C156&sr=8-9
    2021 Syder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Probably not a popular opinion, but I had a Fobo2 and sold it. I found it very distracting. I was always obsessing over a pound or two difference. Now I just check before each ride and don't worry about it. If a tire has a slow leak I will notice it before it goes completely flat (if underway you will feel the handling change. If it blows out the Fobo won't tell you in time to do anything about it anyway). JMHO
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rjinaz86323 View Post
    Probably not a popular opinion, but I had a Fobo2 and sold it. I found it very distracting. I was always obsessing over a pound or two difference. Now I just check before each ride and don't worry about it. If a tire has a slow leak I will notice it before it goes completely flat (if underway you will feel the handling change. If it blows out the Fobo won't tell you in time to do anything about it anyway). JMHO
    It doesn’t matter if your opinion is popular or not, rjinaz. Everyone has their own reasons for using/not using something, but “distracting” seems a rather odd reason for giving FOBO a “fail” ?

I find exactly the opposite. Checking my tyres in 10 seconds before a ride, and then putting my phone in my pocket and forgetting about the tyres because you’ll get a warning if they are not functioning as planned, provides me with added confidence, not a distraction.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

FOBO 2 for all the reasons listed. I don't check my tire pressures all that often but they are there if I need them.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Everyone has their own reasons for using/not using something, but “distracting” seems a rather odd reason for giving FOBO a “fail” ?
    Pete
    I don't give the Fobo a fail. It does what is is designed to do. It just doesn't mesh with my semi-OCD mentality.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

I use the FOBO 2. The readings are the same as I get on tire pump.
    Last edited by gr8Frank; 04-09-2023 at 01:20 AM.
    2022 Spyder RT Petrol Metallic Blue.
    2022 RT , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rjinaz86323 View Post
    I don't give the Fobo a fail. It does what is is designed to do. It just doesn't mesh with my semi-OCD mentality.
    Yep…….understand completely, rjinaz

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

FOBO 2 , as everyone else has stated.

Spyder Garage

I also use the FOBO2 and found the batteries that came with the unit lasted two years before it showed on the phone app that they were in need of replacement. I really like having this system in place because it saves me the considerable effort of checking the rear tire pressure. I find that the only way to get a tire pressure gauge on the rear tire stem is to be laying flat on the ground, which for an old guy like me is a real pain. With the FOBO2 I just pull out my phone when getting ready to ride and I am good to go.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pidjones View Post
    I'm considering getting this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZL2ZB92...lig_dp_it&th=1 I had a similar system on my GL1800 that worked well as long as it was on "T" stems.
    I have a similar two wheel version.

1.) The sensors unscrew and you add air, I have the lock washers installed and yes it is a pain to add air. Though I usually only need to add air at the start of the riding season and maybe again late in the season.

2.) The sensor batteries have lasted about two riding seasons, maybe longer but I change them anyway. The monitor, once charged, lasts for days when traveling. I usually charge at night every second or third day when traveling.

3.) Waterproof, not sure. But I have ridden with the monitor exposed to rain numerous times, full fledged frog chokers, and never an issue. Mine mounts on the handle bar and easily unscrews, so removal is easy. Or just slip a zip lock bag over it if concerned.

4.) Mine (2 wheel version) is a Mecru - Newell TPMS System.

I've been real happy with it and would purchase again. And will look at pidjones's referenced one when my Ryker arrives.

YMMV
    2023 Ryker Rally - Heritage White III
    Sport Windshield
    GPS Holder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    I also use the FOBO2 and found the batteries that came with the unit lasted two years before it showed on the phone app that they were in need of replacement.
    This, and an earlier comment really got me thinking, Vito. I just realised that -

1. I am running old FOBO 1 sensors.

2. I have an old iPhone that I leave in the garage as I try BRP GO from time to time to see if it has improved to the point where it is of use to me. (Hasn’t happened yet ). That phone also has the FOBO app running, meaning it is communicating via BT on an ongoing basis. This may indeed be the reason I am only getting around 6 months battery life.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shardt View Post
    We use these on our Spiders and they work well. https://www.amazon.com/Monitoring-Un...s%2C156&sr=8-9
    Is there a way to stop it from alarming on the missing 4th sensor? Seems this would be great for us, as we sometimes pull a Uni-go (single wheel) trailer.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pidjones View Post
    Is there a way to stop it from alarming on the missing 4th sensor? Seems this would be great for us, as we sometimes pull a Uni-go (single wheel) trailer.
    2 for the Front Wheels; 1 for the Rear Wheel; put the 4th sensor on the ACS Air Bag. Problem solvered!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    2 for the Front Wheels; 1 for the Rear Wheel; put the 4th sensor on the ACS Air Bag. Problem solvered!
    Or, set up 2 profiles, 1 with trailer, one without. Click on the one you need to see.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Himm I think I need the 3 set as my F3 Ltd dosnt seem to have the valve or that ACS Air Bag. Unless you can turn off the 4th one. Donno.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Isopedella View Post
    Himm I think I need the 3 set as my F3 Ltd dosnt seem to have the valve or that ACS Air Bag. Unless you can turn off the 4th one. Donno.
    Iso, my ‘16 F3-L had a shraeder valve under the rear seat, on the left (closest to the kerb) side. I’d be surprised if you don’t have one, unless they made a big change between ‘16 and ‘17. I had a FOBO connected to it.

…..and even if you don’t have one, there is no need to set up the 4th unit.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Fobo2 will also alarm into a headset if low or high pressures are found. To me, that was most important to be able to react quickly in real time.
    John B.
    Current ride: 2020 Spyder RT-s Petrol Metallic Blue dark with OEM top case

Spyder Garage

I've used one of the car based systems for years now. I think FOBO is overpriced for what it is. I don't need it to alarm through my phone or anything else as I can just glance over and see what the pressures are. The sensors look identical to what the car based displays use. If you don't activate one of the sensors, it will never be monitored or displayed. Batteries last about a year, maybe longer. Velcro it down to the top of the dash and it stays there.
    2019 BMW C650GT, 2010 Spyder RT-S, 2009 BMW R1200RT,(sold) 2009 Honda Silverwing (Sold), 2009 Kawasaki 500 Vulcan (Sold)

\
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    This is exactly how I have mine.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the info.