Spyder Garage

Default Parking Brake will not release - any better fix than disconnecting?

I am a long way from home. On vacation. Staying at hotel in Titusville, Florida. A lot of threads on this subject. No good solutions in the couple of threads I have read so far. Parking brake will not release. 2018 F3L. Codes P0571, P1571 and Uo128. Never had this problem before, but know it was common problem with the 2018's when they were new. I pulled the cable from the rear bracket, so I can drive it. It is a pain in the a$$ not having a parking brake.

So my question is. Is there a better fix for me not being at home and my dealer is closed today for a holiday? So no advice from them.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-07-2023 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Can you locate a dealer in the area that would be open today or tomorrow?
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    I am a long way from home. On vacation. Staying at hotel in Titusville, Florida. A lot of threads on this subject. No good solutions in the couple of threads I have read so far. Parking brake will not release. 2018 F3L. Codes P0571, P1571 and Uo128. Never had this problem before, but know it was common problem with the 2018's when they were new. I pulled the cable from the rear bracket, so I can drive it. It is a pain in the a$$ not having a parking brake.

So my question is. Is there a better fix for me not being at home and my dealer is closed today for a holiday? So no advice from them.
    It's electrically activated, could your battery be weak ???? ... if you have jumper cables & a car/trk .... use them to boost the juice .... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Can you hear your park brake motor, Billy? Do you have any tools - like 12mm wrench….I suppose you do if you have unhooked the cable. Some have found that if the cable tension is “on the edge”, slackening the cable a little allows the mechanism to function again…….sorry, just clutching at straws.

Pete
    Last edited by Peteoz; 04-07-2023 at 03:52 PM.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I’ve tried everything, voltage check at parking brake motor, fuses, battery, still no luck. I ordered a new parking brake motor �� It looks like a real pain in the *** to replace, but I’m going to give it a try when the new motor gets here. Is yours a 2018?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-07-2023 at 05:24 PM. Reason: ' 's :-/

Spyder Garage

Found this

U0128 TCM
    BOSCH
    Lost communication
    with WPM/EPB (lost
    of CAN ID’s)

Missing CAN ID 460h
    from WPM/EPB.
    Module internal error.
    Damaged circuit wires or
    damaged module pins.

Check for TCM fault
    or WPM/EPB fault.
    With unit connected
    to BUDS with MPI2,
    Turn ignition switch OFF,
    wait for cluster to turn off.
    Disconnect MPI2
    from DLC connector.
    Measure resistance between
    DLC-1 and DLC-2 (expected
    value = 50 to 70 ohms).
    DLC-1 and TCMB-C1
    (expected value < 2 ohms).
    DLC-2 and TCMB-C2
    Measure resistance
    between DLC-1 and WPM-6
    Measure resistance
    between DLC-2 and WPM-8
    Turn ignition switch ON
    Measure voltage between harness
    connector WPM-5 and ground
    (expected value = 11 to 13 volts).

Could not find the other two codes, but my code list is pretty old and codes have maybe changed. The one I did find may or may not be relevant. Sorry couldn't be of more help.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    Can you locate a dealer in the area that would be open today or tomorrow?
    I am going to check tomorrow. I found a search function for local dealers from BRP.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    It's electrically activated, could your battery be weak ???? ... if you have jumper cables & a car/trk .... use them to boost the juice .... good luck .... Mike
    I don't think it is voltage/power issue. Doesn't matter if the engine is running or not and the running engine takes a week battery out of the picture. The U code points to a com issue.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Can you hear your park brake motor, Billy? Do you have any tools - like 12mm wrench….I suppose you do if you have unhooked the cable. Some have found that if the cable tension is “on the edge”, slackening the cable a little allows the mechanism to function again…….sorry, just clutching at straws.

Pete
    All I got is a set of wrenches. So I do have 12mm wrench. There is no attempt to work. Even with the brake cable disconnected.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker01 View Post
    I’ve tried everything, voltage check at parking brake motor, fuses, battery, still no luck. I ordered a new parking brake motor �� It looks like a real pain in the *** to replace, but I’m going to give it a try when the new motor gets here. Is yours a 2018?
    Thanks for sharing your experience.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I agree it is likely a com issue. It is likely a faulty brake module. But your post got me thinking. I have couple aftermarket addons. It may be electrical noise. I will unplug them a see if that makes any difference.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I can only speak to the 2014 RT-S but BRP reuses parts across models so an F3 and RT probably share the same WPM (Windshield and Parking Brake Module).

The WPM has two individual circuits (ground isolated because the motors are reversible) powering the two motors. Current levels are high with #18 to the motors and #16 to the WPM from the LFB F4 20amp fuse.

Motor control is distinctly different for windshield and parking brake.

The windshield position is via CANBUS from the left hand switch module. The windshield motor and drive mechanism are paired at the factory which leads me to suspect limit control involves current sensing.

The parking brake position is via direct wire connections from the PB switch. The switch is a Momentary-On + ON SPST (I'm ignoring the frunk unlock). Therefore it toggles (push once Engage push again Disengage) a circuit within the WPM. It's unclear how the WPM determines when to power the brake motor. There is a SPST parking brake connected to ground and both the console and WPM. It's possible but unlikely the WPM and console use CANBUS to control the parking brake.

Which returns me to the question I've asked several times: what exactly is the console brake light showing? When ignition is turned On? When the PB switch is toggled quickly? When the PB switch is held down for two seconds? When the Spyder is placed into 1st while running? When placed into Reverse while Running? When ignition is switched Off while in 1st gear and then after 30 seconds is switched back On (does transmission go into Neutral)? With your foot lightly on the brake pedal, do you feel any motion? Is your brake light working properly?

I did a quick check of F3 parts and it appears for several (all?) models that while there is a WPM there isn't a windshield motor which eliminates one thread of investigation.

So what is the failure mode? If the brake motor isn't moving, it could be the nylon/steel gear is jammed. It could be the WPM isn't toggling. It could be the motor is damaged although I think the 20amp fuse would open. It could be the parking brake switch is open or closed at the wrong time due to cable stretching or debris in the mechanism.

The problem is almost all these failures are subtle to diagnose. Due to the intricacies of the WPM I keep coming back to BUDS before any parts replacement decision is made.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

All I got is a set of wrenches. So I do have 12mm wrench. There is no attempt to work. Even with the brake cable disconnected.
    Bugger…….sorry……..hoping you can contact a dealer tomorrow

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I had the same problem with my 2018 RTL. I found that by giving my bike a tiny bit of throttle in 1st and Reverse, the parking brake would eventually release on it's own. I was able to track down a BRP Warranty Bulletin that addressed this issue. I took it to my dealership and they replaced the parking brake motor/actuator under warranty. In looking at the bulletin this morning it seems it expired on the 31st of January, 2023.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

It's fixed!!!!!!! I called Seminole Power Sports. They had the parts and willing to squeeze me in. So a big Thank You to them. Thank You to all of you that left comments.

The drive motor was bad and needed to be replaced. The U code was a red herring. The motor is a dumb device and does not communicate with anything.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

It's fixed!!!!!!! I called Seminole Power Sports. They had the parts and willing to squeeze me in. So a big Thank You to them. Thank You to all of you that left comments.

The drive motor was bad and needed to be replaced. The U code was a red herring. The motor is a dumb device and does not communicate with anything.
    Great to hear, Billy…….thanks for letting us know

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Parking brake issue

Well today the parking brake issue reared its ugly head. Went to leave and brake wouldn’t release. Took off the cable and got home. Now I just got to figure out what my next step is.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-07-2023 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Moved Post title into text after merge - many only see Thread titles, and post titles mess with Searching! ;-)
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .