Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamryder View Post
    Hello Ryders, I'm wondering if you owners of the 2019, '20 Rykers have purchased a new battery yet, due to it getting weak & old(?) If you did replace it, at how many miles. I had mine on a tender 'til early March. I hooked it up, and started the Ryker up, everything comes on, but while twisting the throttle it doesn't rev., just "misses" but in an equal pattern. 92 octane gas, and Sta-Bil in tank. I think the battery doesn't have enough AMPS to really kick it on.
    A new battery is on the way. Any ideas what else it could be? Oh, I do hear the fuel pump kicking on.
    I would think that if it actually starts and everything comes on (ie. you don't lose the dash or dim the lights, get a bunch of warning lights or codes) then it's probably not an immediate battery problem, even if the battery might be getting a bit old & starting to feel tired....

The fact that it hunts in a regular way (I assume that's what you mean by 'misses in an equal pattern' ) while it's running sorta suggests to me that it's more likely going to be due to a dirty throttle body, a fuel delivery problem (dodgy/clogged fuel pump inlet or filter??) or maybe an air leak somewhere on the inlet side....

Quote Originally Posted by canamryder View Post
    I was aware that I should check the problem out with a Multimeter which I don't have. My Ryker Rally bought in 7/19, manf. as I recall in 9/18. (#132 of production) so I jumped to buying a battery as I'm crossing my fingers. I just thought...maybe my neighbor has a multimeter. The past Winter (not this one) I unplugged the tender every couple days. This year I left it plugged in. I've been reading debates today that (some) tenders CAN fry batteries IF plugged in too long. My headlights don't dim at all while starting.
    No debating involved on that particular bit AT ALL, it's a proven fact that some tenders &/or leaving your battery plugged into a tender ALL the time if it's not also a battery MAINTAINER (with a charge/battery maintenance cycle) is not good for batteries, especially as they get older/tired-er But the fact that the headlights don't dim AND that it starts and runs without losing the dash &/or giving you codes/anything else strongly suggests that this is NOT your battery (Yeah, I know, it is me saying this! ) Maybe you should be looking under the tupperware for cracked or rodent chewed fuel lines &/or wiring; spraying some throttle body cleaner into the TB's; checking for blocked filters; or possibly leaky air hoses &/or inlet trunking that's been dislodged/pulled off their connections? Is the air filter lid seated properly & the filter in good condition??
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-07-2023 at 12:14 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!