Spyder Garage

Default Getting P0605 Internal Ctrl Mod ROM Error - any ideas?

The last few times I’ve ridden over 30 miles and shut the bike off for a short time, say 5 minutes or less, then restart the machine, I get the DSS Error light and Check Engine light on the dash. When I pull the codes, I get P0551 and P0605. Any help would be appreciated!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-04-2023 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Hi Sully, welcome to finally posting on the Forum But I hafta ask, cos it might make a difference..... What Year/Model Spyder are you riding & having this issue with??

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ssed-On-To-All
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thank you I apologize 2010 rt se5 and the dps light not dss, love auto correct!

Spyder Garage

Juuuust on the off chance, do you happen to know how long since the battery was replaced?? If it's the original, it's waaaayyyy past changing; and if it was replaced just a year or two back, or even a week or two back, it still could be finding it hard to supply useful amounts of power!

These Spyder things are REALLY power hungry, and if your battery ever drops below 12 volts, your Spyder will pretty much treat it as dead.... And give you all sorts of odd codes, usually from the most power hungry modules/components (like the DPS ) or just throw a generic problem light (like the Check Engine Light ) Noticed either of those recently?? If everything else was fine up until now; &/or it starts fine initially then not so well after you've ridden it for anything less than about 30+ minutes at Hwy speed; and especially if you keep it on a tender between rides, then you'd hafta suspect all this as being due to a dead/dying battery!

So I'd suggest getting your battery load tested first, and if it doesn't drop much below 12 volts under load, then go on to cleaning & tightening all the battery terminals & earths you can find, including the one in the steering tunnel (take off the Left Wheel & go in from there ) cos that one is critical for the Power Steering to work properly... There's an earth for your 'Under the Seat' battery that uses a rivnut style connection into the frame, that often gets over-tightened until it breaks the threaded section free of the frame, so it might need you to add a nut underneath to get a good earth, that is a right pain to do, but it's often a cause if not the cause of poor battery performance &/or life!

And if the current battery load tests any lower than 12 volts at all or otherwise reports being less than ideal, consider it dead & look for a replacement AGM that at least meets or betters the CCA & A/H of the original, cos right now, recently supplied Yuasa batteries seem to be a bit sub-par, while there are alternative replacements can be found with better specs and in the same or a close enough size to fit.... some Owners are even using lightweight Lithium batteries, but I'm not yet convinced they'll charge well enough on a V-Twin charging system, so they might not last too long....

If it's not your battery, then it might be the DPS, and that can be expensive!

Good Luck!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

X2 on that load test!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    Thank you I apologize 2010 rt se5 and the dps light not dss, love auto correct!
    ( after you check the battery ) ........Back in 09, I had an 08 GS ..... BRP did a RECALL under warranty for all the DPS units ..... maybe in 2010 they still had some bad ones ..... Check with your dealer and see if your machine had the DPS changed under warranty .... they will need your VIN #..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks All I will get the battery tested and update with the results.. I appreciate all the input!