Spyder Garage

Default Hazard lights not working on trailer

When I had my trailer connected to my 2016 F3L the hazard lights worked. This was connected using a wiring harness with isolation plugged in under the passenger seat.

On my RTL the trailer lights don’t flash when the hazard lights are on. The run, brake, and turn lights all work. I am using the Showchrome isolated fuse block and wiring harness for the RT (item 41-201)and a Wesbar 5 to 4 wire trailer converter connector (item 707295)

Any ideas how to resolve the hazard lights not working on the trailer?
    Last edited by al0vely; 04-03-2023 at 06:51 PM.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Where are you connecting the ground to the input of Wesbar unit? There is no ground on the output of the SC isolator according to the pic in the SC instructions. Do you by chance have the keyed power out from the SC unit connected to the input ground of the Wesbar?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Another possibility is circuit logic, probably in the Wesbar. In order to flash the Brake/Turn lamp for a turn signal while the brake pedal is pushed, the Wesbar must invert the turn signal (ie it turns the lamp Off rather than On because the brake signal had already turned it On). As part of this inversion, the logic defers to the brake signal for simultaneous turn signals. I'm curious if this is the circuit logic used.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Default Problem solved - Wesbar unit not compatible

I contacted Value Accessories (VA) and was told to contact Show Chrome (SC) as they didn't know why it wouldn't work.

I ended up contacting both Wesbar and SC.

The only reason I purchased the Wesbar 5 to 4 converter trailer connector is because it was listed on the Value Accessories site as the combination to connect the trailer. They (VA) were out of stock on the Wesbar unit so I purchased it from Ebay - and VA has subsequently removed the Wesbar unit from their website. Wesbar said their unit would not work for my application using hazard lights and recommended a different product from their line up.

I contacted SC and the first person I spoke with said he had never seen it used as I was trying but asked someone else in the office and they said theoretically it should work especially with their 5 to 4 converter (PN 16-127). They have a 2020 RT in their shop and actually performed the connection to prove it worked for them. I purchased the SC 5 to 4 converter and got it hooked up today and it worked perfectly.

Also while I was waiting for my converter to arrive "vtrider" posted that he used the SC combination fuse block + 5 to 4 converter and everything worked well - so I was optimistic on mine working also.

I suspect the issue is the circuit logic of the Wesbar unit as mentioned by "BertRemington" as the support person at Wesbar mentioned something similar in different words.
    Last edited by al0vely; 04-25-2023 at 10:38 AM.
    Love my Spyders

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Where are you connecting the ground to the input of Wesbar unit? There is no ground on the output of the SC isolator according to the pic in the SC instructions. Do you by chance have the keyed power out from the SC unit connected to the input ground of the Wesbar?
    The Wesbar ground was connected to the ground on the fuse block. This same ground is used on the SC 5 to 4 converter.
    Love my Spyders

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels