Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Anyone running or tried BUDS on MacBook (Pro)?

I searched this "BRP BUDS BUDS2 Shop Talk" forum and found one reference but no replies to the subject.

My Windows laptop is old and slow. I've got a newer MacBookPro with a port adaptor/extender that has a full size USB "A" slot; it's also my travel computer. I've read that EaseUS, and perhaps other companies, sell a software to create a bootable USB drive to run exclusive Windows software.

Anyone running or having tried this set up with BUDS/BUDS2?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-02-2023 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

EDIT: Sorry, misread your post. The tricky thing about running an "external drive OS source" is getting the program to fully run from it and recognize the license key location... You will just have to be very careful when doing the installation of the BUDS program and MAKE SURE you point ALL of the installation files (including the license key) to that external drive source... Might be easier to just do Bootcamp and side load Windows and run it that way...
    Last edited by hypurone; 04-02-2023 at 12:04 PM.

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

I can't speak to EaseUS or using a bootable USB - but I have a 2015 MacBook Pro with a smaller hard drive running Bootcamp and a Windows 10 install on the minimum size HD space needed. When I need BUDS I just restart in Windows - run the BUDS (which is slow due to the older MacBook Pro) and when done boot back up in Mac OS. Not having any issues with BUDS or BUDS2 other than speed/patience needed.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank you hypurone and Jdr00ejr for your insight into Bootcamp. I'll give it a look vs bootable USB.

Wayne
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500

Spyder Garage

Bootcamp isn't available with the OP's statement of newer Macbook Pro. All newer Macbooks from 2020 are ARM64 (M1/M2) processor. You would have to use Parallels or VMWare Fusion as a virtual machine.

Spyder Garage

There is a program for Mac called Parallels. It will allow you to put windows on your Mac. I have used it for work and it is great.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rugerbear View Post
    There is a program for Mac called Parallels. It will allow you to put windows on your Mac. I have used it for work and it is great.
    Just as a warning - if you have a newer MAC with an M1/M2 chip Windows will not run as a guest operating system - parallels/vm fusion. I am not surer about dual-boat, but I would expect it will not work. Older MAC used an Intel chip - the M series use AMD, different instruction set.

Jim
    2017 F3-Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimH View Post
    Just as a warning - if you have a newer MAC with an M1/M2 chip Windows will not run as a guest operating system - parallels/vm fusion. I am not surer about dual-boat, but I would expect it will not work. Older MAC used an Intel chip - the M series use AMD, different instruction set.

Jim
    That can't be right! There is tons of info out there on how to install WIN11 ARM64 on Mac Pro M1/M2 machines....

Mac Pro WIN 11.jpg

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Finally took the time to create a dual boot on my MacBook Pro with i7 Intel chip (2017 release). Using Bootcamp, created 64GB partition on internal SSD drive, loaded Win10, loaded BUDS/BUDS2 software and driver, and all works when connecting to the MBP via a USB C male to USB A female adapter. I did not use an external drive as I found the minimum drive size could be 64GB, 1/4 of the 256GB SSD. Still plenty of room as long as I manage my photos library. Bootcamp only works on Intel CPU Macs.
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500