Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes, let's cut to the chase. I'm not 'trolling', I'm asking why people carry guns with them when ryding.

So far, nobody has stated what I think is the real reason; they like guns and feel better carrying, as is their right. And I'm perfectly okay with that.

I just don't think it's for 'protection', as many claim. Because that seems irrational or fearful and I don't think most ryders who carry are either.

I sure hope I'm right!
    Last edited by UtahPete; 04-05-2023 at 12:40 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mandytuning View Post
    Have you ever been in a church? Walmart? Gas stations? They all have cases of mass shootings. Is not about where you go, is about where criminals target innocent people.
    I don't believe that point of view is based on any rational analysis of the statistics.

Why not just say you like guns and the comfort you get from carrying one? I get it - I'm fascinated by them also.

But, I don't have any expectation of ever being in a situation where I will have need of a firearm for protection. That's the discussion I think we're having here.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 04-03-2023 at 10:56 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Yes, let's cut to the chase. I'm not 'trolling', I'm asking why people carry guns with them when ryding.

So far, nobody has stated what I think is the real reason; they like guns and feel better carrying, as is their right. And I'm perfectly okay with that.

I just don't think it's for 'protection', as many claim. Because that would be irrational or insecure and I don't think those who carry are either.

I sure hope I'm right!
    Dear Pete .... I was in active Law Enforcement for 35 years ..... I still have my two NYPD pistols ( a service and an off-duty model ) and a .22 cal. target pistol. The only medals or service awards that ever mattered was the ones I got for Marksmanship. I haven't fired any of them for at least a decade. I do carry when I think it's appropriate for me ..... un-fortunately this is becoming more frequent, the world in general is becoming more & more hostile. My motto is and has been " I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6 " ( carried refers to the coffin ) ..... JMHO ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 04-04-2023 at 12:00 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Dear Pete .... I was in active Law Enforcement for 35 years ..... I still have my two NYPD pistols ( a service and an off-duty model ) and a .22 cal. target pistol. The only medals or service awards that ever mattered was the ones I got for Marksmanship. I haven't fired any of them for at least a decade. I do carry when I think it's appropriate for me ..... un-fortunately this is becoming more frequent, the world in general is becoming more & more hostile. My motto is and has been " I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6 " ( carried refers to the coffin ) ..... JMHO ..... Mike
    Thank you for your service, Mike.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thank you for your service, Mike.
    .............Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So far, the responses seem to indicate that those who do carry while riding have no rational reason for doing so. No personal threatening experiences where a carried weapon was a factor in ensuring a favorable outcome for the rider, it seems.
    I see no reason to justify what we do to you. That said we do at times.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Saluda View Post
    I see no reason to justify what we do to you. That said we do at times.
    I agree. I don't understand why people think that's what I've been saying, because it's not. I'm not judging AT ALL. I'm just asking why people carry.

It's a lot like a discussion we've had in the past about wearing ATGATT on a Spyder when, except for the helmet, ATGATT is designed to minimize injury from events that are extremely common with 2-wheelers, but extremely unlikely and rare on Spyders.

It's just another anomaly in riders' behavior I'd like to understand better.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Sadly, people will shoot you for your shoes in some places. So yes.

2017 Spyder RTL

Mods
    Baja Ron Swaybar
    Mesh Intake covers
    LED Skidplate
    LED Headlights and Foglights
    TricLED Dual Color LED A-Arm Running Light Strips with Blinker
    12V Cell Phone / GPS Docking Station with Dual USB Charge Ports
    Quick detatch backrest
    Show Chrome RT Trunk Rack
    Show Chrome Short Spiral Radio Antenna
    Custom Airbrushed paint with ghost flames

Spyder Garage

!
    Post #9, I answered your question as to why I carry. If I had not been armed my Harley would have been gone.

To top it off I was at Americade in Lake George New York. Lesson learned never go to a Honda event.

Yes I was carrying in a 2 A hating state.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-05-2023 at 05:22 AM. Reason: Rule 2 ;-/

Spyder Garage

I'd rather have my gun and not need it than to need it and not have it.

I choose not to be a willing victim.

Don't put yourself in a bad situation and leave the situation if possible, but at least be able to defend yourself when the other options aren't available.
    2021 RTL Marsala Dark Edition 4.13.2021
    Lamonster Riser
    Spyder Extras Docking station
    Zumo XT (my own Plug & Play cable)
    WrapMySpyder Carbon fiber partial kit.
    Baja Ron ultra performance sway bar and end links

2015 RTS SM6 Intense Red
    born on date 3/2015 (mine on 9/12/15)
    Sold on 4.13.2021 33k of fun.

Spyder Garage

I carry everywhere it is legal to do so in Texas and everywhere else. Why? There is one main reason; because, like accidents, you can never predict when and where you might need a firearm to protect yourself or others. There are those who say just call 911 but with current response time in most places, that only allows a bad guy to finish his or her objectives without any resistance. Good guys with guns are more likely to stop carnage quickly than are law enforcement. That's not saying law enforcement is to blame, it's just saying they cannot be everywhere all the time. Hypothetical situation: let's say you are on a multi-day ride and stopped for gas at a convenience store out in the boonies. You finish filling your Spyder and go inside for a drink and a snack at the same moment another person is pulling a gun to rob the store. You have two choices, become a victim along with the store employee or pull your gun and save the employee and yourself. I can only hope I have the courage and skills to do that without anyone getting hurt other than the thief. Of course, it's better to try to talk the crook down without firing a shot, but sometimes that is just not an option. The second option is if you don't have a gun and the thief shoots the employee then realizes you are an eye witness that he needs to terminate to protect himself from being identified. In that case, you are dead right there.

Others may carry for different reasons like to feel like they are a bad ass or just to exercise their 2A rights or just to feel more secure. In the end as some others have stated, "it's better to have a firearm and not need it than to need one and not have it."
    Last edited by cruisinTX; 04-05-2023 at 06:35 AM.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    Thats me.I'm on wanted posters all over the country.
    Last I heard, I'm wanted in four states.

I'm not wanted back in the other 46.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    I carry everywhere it is legal to do so in Texas and everywhere else. Why? There is one main reason; because, like accidents, you can never predict when and where you might need a firearm to protect yourself or others....Others may carry for different reasons like to feel like they are a bad ass or just to exercise their 2A rights or just to feel more secure. In the end as some others have stated, "it's better to have a firearm and not need it than to need one and not have it."
    I think you nailed it.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"It's better to have a firearm and not need it than to need one and not have it". And, "It's better to be judged by twelve than to be carried by six".

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    "It's better to have a firearm and not need it than to need one and not have it". And, "It's better to be judged by twelve than to be carried by six".
    That seems to be the prevailing opinion, for sure.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I carry when I snowmobiled and ryding Spyder. Have had to use it to put down a Moose and a deer that was hit and the Moose who got caught on a logging road bridge. She caught her hind leg in the gap between planks, broke her back. So I carry more for putting down animals that are suffering. Law is always too far away to do it. Called them after animal was put out of its pain. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by safecracker View Post
    I carry when I snowmobiled and ryding Spyder. Have had to use it to put down a Moose and a deer that was hit and the Moose who got caught on a logging road bridge. She caught her hind leg in the gap between planks, broke her back. So I carry more for putting down animals that are suffering. Law is always too far away to do it. Called them after animal was put out of its pain. Bruce
    I can see where a firearm would be useful in the back-country.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I can see where a firearm would be useful in the back-country.
    Out here on the left coast, we have some really idiotic edicts created by some very inept MoPs and enforced by some very aggressive agencies. Even though you may be out in the backcountry you are still under the same jurisdiction as if you were standing in the middle of a mall. So it can be as simple as a state line that determines commonsense from lunacy. Rant over.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Out here on the left coast, we have some really idiotic edicts created by some very inept MoPs and enforced by some very aggressive agencies. Even though you may be out in the backcountry you are still under the same jurisdiction as if you were standing in the middle of a mall. So it can be as simple as a state line that determines commonsense from lunacy. Rant over.
    MoP? Member of Parliament?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

MoP? Member of Parliament?
    Yes Sir red rider, you got that right off. I was trying to be nonpolitical because I've been slapped before for that.

Spyder Garage

Do you really think bad things can't happen to you? Trying to be prepared for bad things is the reason we all make decisions about ourselves and family. You carry insurance, you lock your doors when in a bad area, you have smoke detectors at home and have a fire extinguisher. These are all things we do to protect ourselves, why should carrying a firearm be anything other than a precaution. Chris

2021 RT Limited
    2021 Spyder RT Liminted , Marsala Red in Black