Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Best thing I have seen is switching your headlights to leds, they really make deer eyes glow and stand out.

The reason I didn't see this one was it was behind a panel truck in a driveway. Normally I will see their eyes moving in between the trees before they have a chance to pop out on the road in front me and I can slow down.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Glad you came out of it safe! I lost a friend for a close encounter with a moose. Was not good!!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

When I was young I hit a chipmunk on the way down from the top of mount St. Helens (pre blowing its top) and the 65 sporty chopper did not handle the encounter very well. The tiny "bicycle" tire on the 16 over front end just slid to the right and I went down sliding. Even with full leathers on I had road rash on my entire left side. When I got up the bike was over the edge, I walked down about 4 feet, and it was idling ... killed it and picked it up. A passerby stopped and came to my aide. With his help I was able to get the bike back onto the road and we used his tire iron to gently pull the shifter out after it bent to get the bike in neutral. I was able to coast down the mountain until I got to a country store. There I was able to remove the shifter ... bend it just enough so I could shift and get back on the road.

I still have the chipmunk's tail (all I could find) and the bent shifter somewhere in my treasure troves ... LOL.

The only bad thing was the Navy wasn't very happy with me and my road rash. But they had a "fix". I spent 4 days on my right side with heat lamps drying out the road rash after almost 2 hours (seemed like days) of "cleaning" my rash and trimming the ragged edges of my skin. I was actually back on the job 5 days after the incident. Not that I cared, but the only "scarring" I had was under my left arm about nipple height and it is hard to see.

I know this is an older thread but just wanted to say glad you were okay. Toys can be replaced ... people ... a little tougher.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-05-2023 at 05:30 PM.
    Current Ride: 2019 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited - Cool Change.

Past Rides:

2014 HD Triglide - Fat Bottom Girl
    2006 Honda Gold Wing GL1800 - Jessica
    2003 Honda Gold Wing GL1800 - Helga
    2014 HD Ultra Limited - Harley Quinn
    2008 Honda Gold Wing GL 1800 Trike w/Champion Conversion - Fat Bottom Girl 2
    2001 Honda Gold Wing GL1800 - Tweety
    2015 HD Triglide - Fat Bottom Girl
    2011 HD Ultra - Raven
    2006 K1200LT - Vianca
    2007 HD Ultra
    2006 HD Ultra
    2004 Honda Goldwing
    2001 Honda Goldwing
    1996 Honda Goldwing
    2000 Honda Aero
    1985 Honda V65 Magnum
    1992 HD Softtail
    1976 HD Sportster
    1973 HD Sportster
    1965 HD Sportster

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Three of a family of five were just killed this week in a vehicle accident a mile from my house. The driver swerved after hitting a deer at high speed and rolled the car into a tree. Mom, dad, and daughter who were in the front seat were killed instantly. Two young brothers who were in the back seat were extricated and flown immediately to a university hospital and are expected to survive. Both boys have broken legs and one boy may lose his leg. So drive cautiously, there could be a dear out there with your name on it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyspyder View Post
    When I was young I hit a chipmunk on the way down from the top of mount St. Helens (pre blowing its top) and the 65 sporty chopper did not handle the encounter very well. The tiny "bicycle" tire on the 16 over front end just slid to the right and I went down sliding. Even with full leathers on I had road rash on my entire left side. When I got up the bike was over the edge, I walked down about 4 feet, and it was idling ... killed it and picked it up. A passerby stopped and came to my aide. With his help I was able to get the bike back onto the road and we used his tire iron to gently pull the shifter out after it bent to get the bike in neutral. I was able to coast down the mountain until I got to a country store. There I was able to remove the shifter ... bend it just enough so I could shift and get back on the road.

I still have the chipmunk's tail (all I could find) and the bent shifter somewhere in my treasure troves ... LOL.

The only bad thing was the Navy wasn't very happy with me and my road rash. But they had a "fix". I spent 4 days on my right side with heat lamps drying out the road rash after almost 2 hours (seemed like days) of "cleaning" my rash and trimming the ragged edges of my skin. I was actually back on the job 5 days after the incident. Not that I cared, but the only "scarring" I had was under my left arm about nipple height and it is hard to see.

I know this is an older thread but just wanted to say glad you were okay. Toys can be replaced ... people ... a little tougher.
    LOL, I was surprised to see this thread pop back up. Yep, I was glad to walk away from this one as well.

I guess you haven't seen my latest incident... my thread on being rear ended at a light on the way to OC Bikefest back in September.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...28#post1685928

Parts have been ordered and just waiting on the repair so I can go pick up it in Dover, DE. And yes, I am completing my loop that I had started that day on the way home, even if it is cold and rainy out. The only thing that would make me trailer it would be if there was salt on the road.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-05-2023 at 05:32 PM.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    I sure do understand about having a keepsake for a reminder. Many years ago, I was rear-ended at 50 MPH. The car just kissed the stainless steel trim on my Goldwing leaving a small smudge. I never tried to polish it out. Kept it as a reminder to be diligent..... always.
    I kept this in mind just recently when I went to repair my Corbin before taking it back to Delaware where my F3 is getting repaired from getting rear ended. At first, I was going to send in a claim for the seat to get repaired but then I thought of this and just repaired it with a leather/vinyl repair kit to leave a patch to remind me.

I was hit with enough force that the bracket for the driver's backrest came through the seat and the back of my pants as I was ejected.

The back of the seat had a small tear also.

IMG_20231025_183625824.jpg IMG_20231025_183451099.jpg IMG_20231025_183403621.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-05-2023 at 10:38 PM.

2020 F3 SE6

2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Might have been a different outcome had you been on a 2 wheeler.

Retired U.S. Coast Guard 76-97
    Shad bags
    Lamonsters 2.0 usb dual power plate
    F3 ultimate boards
    LED arc lights
    Lidlox helmet extender
    Lamonsters top cuff with Ram ball and phone holder.
    Lamonster billet sway bar end links
    BRP driver backrest
    LED Volt meter
    BIW Cat Delete pipe
    Route 129 windscreen
    2022 F3S , Monolith black