Spyder Garage

Default Suspension failure and changing parts - why would it lose all its air?

I just purchased a demo 2022 RT Sea to Sky. It has 1045 miles on it. Drove it out of the dealership today and got the same fault code as Bob L in this thread:

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ght=Suspension

Brought it back, they hooked up the BUDS computer, and they said the compressor is not turning on fast enough to level the suspension thus it's throwing the code. They claim that this is the first time this has happened!? I left it at the dealership, and I let them know I’ll call them on Monday to see what they're doing to fix it....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-31-2023 at 03:08 AM. Reason: ' 's BUDS, & link after move/merge... ;-)

Spyder Garage

The dealership called me. They said it’s reading low voltage which is causing the problem. That does make sense because the battery was dead in the showroom, and it had a tough time starting. It was hard to turn over. You would think after riding her for an hour the battery would have charged, but I guess not. I’m picking her up later so I’m hoping it’s cured.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-25-2023 at 09:09 PM. Reason: ' 's before ,'s & .'s ;-)

Spyder Garage

after putting in a new battery they're now replacing the compressor.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-29-2023 at 07:28 PM. Reason: there - they're ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JDTOLLAND View Post
    after putting in a new battery they're now replacing the compressor.
    What model/year, JD?

Pete
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-29-2023 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Default Suspension failure and changing parts - why would it lose all its air?

Hello all

So my new Sea to Sky had the battery replaced because that was deemed the reason for throwing the suspension fault. So they changed to a new battery & they told me she was ready to go. After a 20-minute ride the suspension failure code comes on again and the bike actually loses all of its air. At that point driving in back to the dealership I can feel every bump in the road. The dealership now claims it’s the air compressor and are going to change that. The question I’m curious about is why would it suddenly lose all of her air?

JD
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-31-2023 at 03:05 AM. Reason: Merged all the disparate parts into one thread... ;-)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hello all

So my new sea to sky had the battery replaced because that was deemed the reason for throwing the suspension fault . So they change to a new battery they tell me she is ready to go. After a 20 minute ride suspension failure code comes on and the bike actually loses all of its air. At that point driving in back to the dealership I can feel every bump in the road. The dealership now claims it’s the air compressor and are going to change that . My question I’m curious about is why would it suddenly lose all of her air ?

JD
    RUN from that dealer and never go back..... No Dealer Tech can be this stupid, they are lying and they know it ...... I doubt they replaced your battery under warranty ...... did they .. ????? ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    What model/year, JD?

Pete
    It’s a 2022 RT Sea to Sky.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-31-2023 at 03:07 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display, altho probably not necessary after merge + Caps & ' 's... ;-)

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Air Compressor or Battery??

Oh my, that's a new one for me. Certainly not a good thing to hear about from your Spyder Dealer. The tech needs to better understand what the real problem is for your Spyder.

A lot of time has been wasted and nothing has been found?
    Did the battery get replaced?
    Did the air compressor get replaced?
    Do they check and verify that they have fixed the issue?
    I would talk to the 'Service Manager'. Hopefully they will help you out.
    If you need to talk to the Owner I would carefully ask questions and get some 'Firm Answers' on what to expect.

Good Luck with Your Mission.

Stay Healthy my Friend. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I'm of the opinion that your S2S needs a better tech more than it needs a compressor; this is not a tough diagnosis.

2020 Spyder RT Limited; Deep Marsala/Chrome

Formosa AZ01 165/50/R16's on PPA Recluse wheels up front
    General Altimax RT43 215/60/R15 on factory rear

Primary exhaust: RLS Cat delete w/ his baffle; secondary, custom built w/ Flowmaster HS2
    Suspension: BajaRon swaybar (highly recommended!), M2 coil-overs, front & rear (also highly recomended!)
    Extra LED lighting and misc. to suit my needs/wants

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

JD -- while there are several failure points that can cause sudden air loss, your problem might not be air loss.

New Spyders require a certain amount of assembly by the dealer. One item is the bottom bolt for the rear shock. There are two spacers as well as the bolt and apparently the spacers are packed separately from the bolt. There's been more that one instance where the dealer did not install the spacers and the result was symptoms "I can feel every bump in the road" exactly like yours.

Examine the bottom bolt. Not only should the shock eye be centered on the bolt but there should be spacers on either side keeping it there. And check if the bolt is properly fastened. One member had lost the nut and the bolt was holding on only one side.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Dealers have frequently not connected the small link that goes between the swing arm and the level sensor that tells the air system to add or release air from the air bag. A friend bought a new 22 RTL from a dealer in Bonita Springs Florida about 3 weeks ago. I was aware of this common oversight so I took a picture of the link (not connected to the swing arm) and showed it to the salesman. He assured us that he would make sure that the service department connected this when they did the PDI the next day. Guess what???? The link did not get connected during the PDI and my friend didn't check it. I took another picture. The dealer sent a flatbed truck to pick up the Spyder for repair. A day later they delivered it back to my friend, STILL NOT CONNECTED! I sent the picture to the service adviser and explained what the link was for. They sent a senior tech to my friend's house and he finally connected the little link. I think it's a 10MM bolt. He explained that they use very junior (cheap) techs to uncrate and assemble new machines. I suggested that maybe a senior tech should check the junior tech's work. Note that the air bag is completely flat in this photo. The attached picture is upside down and I can't fix it.

Click image for larger version.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-01-2023 at 01:08 AM. Reason: COMMECTED - CONNECTED ;-)
    2021 Spyder RTL chalk/black/chrome bought in March 21. Previous rides: 2019 Spyder RTL, Orange/chrome. 2015 Harley Heritage, 2002 Harley Heritage, 77 Harley Electra Glide, 75 Harley Electra Glide, 72 Harley Sportster (first bike bought new)
    My Spyder Mods
    Rider backrest, F&R cup holders; F3 handlebars; BRP LED driving light; LaMonster front fender and mirror turn signals, LaMonster Saddlebag lights, Auxito LED rear turn signal blubs w/ built in load resistor; Brake lite modulator/flasher; LaMonster flags on trunk; Garmin Zumo XT. LaMonster Bluetooth adapter for Phone & GPS through Spyder speakers. LaMonster floorboard risers; FOBO tire pressure monitors, Vredestein front and rear tires; BajaRon sway bar.

Spyder Garage

Sounds like the new ACS systems have gone from bad to worse.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bensonoid View Post
    Sounds like the new ACS systems have gone from bad to worse.
    Thanks for all the input and advice folks . They say the air compressor will be in Monday . I’ll keep y’all updated on the suspension saga .

Spyder Garage

I hope that solves your problems! If your dealer is worth his salt, he'll change out the compressor and do a good leak test and make it right for you. I have said it before, it's a great system when it works, but when the bills coming out of your pocket, I would do some soul searching, and turn the system to a manual fill. Easy pezzi!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Double check that link. If it's not hooked up a new compressor could be ruined in the same record time.
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

So they changed the air compressor and found out there was some kind of Link that attaches at the end of one of the air hoses and it was never installed so for a 1040 miles the dealership drove this sea to sky and it was just pumping out air at the side of the bike. So much for proper PDI.
    No the code has not come back .

Spyder Garage

So they changed the air compressor and found out there was some kind of Link that attaches at the end of one of the air hoses and it was never installed so for a 1040 miles the dealership drove this sea to sky and it was just pumping out air at the side of the bike. So much for proper PDI.
    No the code has not come back .
    Good to see it has been fixed, JDT…..thanks for the heads up

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WDAVEY View Post
    Dealers have frequently not connected the small link that goes between the swing arm and the level sensor that tells the air system to add or release air from the air bag. A friend bought a new 22 RTL from a dealer in Bonita Springs Florida about 3 weeks ago. I was aware of this common oversight so I took a picture of the link (not connected to the swing arm) and showed it to the salesman. He assured us that he would make sure that the service department connected this when they did the PDI the next day. Guess what???? The link did not get connected during the PDI and my friend didn't check it. I took another picture. The dealer sent a flatbed truck to pick up the Spyder for repair. A day later they delivered it back to my friend, STILL NOT CONNECTED! I sent the picture to the service adviser and explained what the link was for. They sent a senior tech to my friend's house and he finally connected the little link. I think it's a 10MM bolt. He explained that they use very junior (cheap) techs to uncrate and assemble new machines. I suggested that maybe a senior tech should check the junior tech's work. Note that the air bag is completely flat in this photo. The attached picture is upside down and I can't fix it.

Click image for larger version.
    This is exactly how they screwed up . Thank you so much for the heads up .