Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Has anyone tried these Mods to their RT622 Lid Seals? Better ideas?

Am away with the chief cook and got an absolute drenching - in the RT622 trailer.

The beading looks in good nick but it hasn't sealed well enough to keep the water out. I checked the way the luggage was packed and couldn't see anything pushing either of the lids up off their seals.

I am looking at some thin profile, soft rubber beading intending to glue it to the surface of the existing rubber bead - no more than about 3mm [1/8"] and about the same width as the existing bead.

Has anyone tried to fix it this way or have a better idea?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-31-2023 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Go to Spyderpops. He has the replacement seals.
    Original: 2013 RT-Limited Pearl White (Bought New 07/2013 Traded @ 34,000 Miles)
    Current: 2017 F3-Limited Pure Magnesium Metallic (Bought New 07/2018)
    Current: 2020 RT-Limited Petrol Metallic Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Schlic View Post
    Go to Spyderpops. He has the replacement seals.
    Thanks, that's the plan long term. The weather forecast suggests we have another wet ride home so I'm looking for something that I can do while away
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by askitee View Post
    Thanks, that's the plan long term. The weather forecast suggests we have another wet ride home so I'm looking for something that I can do while away
    If that's the case, it might be quicker/easier/cheaper just to duck into any hardware store and grab enough stick-on WeatherSeal door sealer to stick onto the trailer opposite where the seals close on it? That way you get a fairly cheap way of getting better chance of sealing properly for your ride home by increasing the pressure on the existing seals AND the trailer body, but you don't risk damaging the existing seals or doing anything that can't be readily undone without damaging anything! Sure, it's not a long term fix & it probably won't last longer than a year or two, but in the meantime, you'll have far less chance of anything leaking on the way home, AND it's not gonna mean you hafta replace any other parts/seals when you get the right stuff to do the job properly!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    If that's the case, it might be quicker/easier/cheaper just to duck into any hardware store and grab enough stick-on WeatherSeal door sealer to stick onto the trailer opposite where the seals close on it? That way you get a fairly cheap way of getting better chance of sealing properly for your ride home by increasing the pressure on the existing seals AND the trailer body, but you don't risk damaging the existing seals or doing anything that can't be readily undone without damaging anything! Sure, it's not a long term fix & it probably won't last longer than a year or two, but in the meantime, you'll have far less chance of anything leaking on the way home, AND it's not gonna mean you hafta replace any other parts/seals when you get the right stuff to do the job properly!
    Hi Peter, I did just that. Went to Clark Rubber and grabbed the owner. We spent a few mins discussing a few options and he came up with some adhesive-backed EPDM rubber. I wasn't sure how long it would be before the new seals arrived from SpyderOps, and I'm taking the trailer on several rides in the coming weeks.

It ended up being a "Bunnings" style visit - found a few other things for odd jobs and left $150 lighter.

Don't know if the seal works - we didn't get a drop on the way home via Waterfall way
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

It ended up being a "Bunnings" style visit - found a few other things for odd jobs and left $150 lighter.

Don't know if the seal works - we didn't get a drop on the way home via Waterfall way
    Always the way, isn't it?!? On both counts!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I wasn't sure how long it would be before the new seals arrived from SpyderOps,
    It'll arrive in a day or two.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    Remember he's in Oz, a bit further East & closer to a major International Airport & Shipping Port than me, but still a half way around the World from SpyderPops! Shipping anything that far these days isn't as quick as it once was!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    Oh how I wish. As Pete stated, I am in OZ.

I now barrack for the Canadian Swim Team - I think all parts for Spyders are transported by them across the Paciifc - strapped to their back.
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

I don't recall how the RT622 seal is constructed. If it has a hollow rubber seal, what I have done on other applications is to thread a 3/16 fish tank tube into the hollow. There is always a seam in the seal where the tube can be inserted. It needs to be lubricated and finessed into the seal. Takes a little time and patience. This gives a firmer, robust seal. Good luck..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Remember he's in Oz,:
    Ha! I didn't even see that. Thanks.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    I don't recall how the RT622 seal is constructed. If it has a hollow rubber seal, what I have done on other applications is to thread a 3/16 fish tank tube into the hollow. There is always a seam in the seal where the tube can be inserted. It needs to be lubricated and finessed into the seal. Takes a little time and patience. This gives a firmer, robust seal. Good luck..... Jim
    That's going straight to the little black book for future reference in case I need it,
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White