Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Pedal Box/Pedal Commander Discussion

I thought it might be helpful to those on the fence about this throttle mod. I'll say, right out of the box (no pun intended), that I was skeptical. I have seen too many mods that were more hype than functional value. So, thinking this might well be more of an unnecessary gimmick than a genuine upgrade to the Spyder, I was not inclined to jump on this wagon.

I usually ride my 2008 GS, which is a cable throttle system. Twist the throttle and you get a very quick response. We purchased a 2015 F3 in 2020 because we wanted to fabricate parts for it. Same reason we purchased a 2019 Ryker Rally. I love the F3 by the way. My kind of ride. A very refined version of my 2008 GS.

Response on the F3 is decent, but not what I expected with the bigger motor. The more I rode it, the more it seemed a bit dead in throttle response. It just didn't seem to have the pep of my 998 V-Twin GS. Not a big deal really. Just something I noticed in comparison.

We started getting requests for not only one of these throttle response upgrade components, but customers also wanted us to install them. And, of course, advise as to what they could expect, and if I thought it worth the money. After doing some research, we ordered a Pedal Box. Daniel installed it on our F3 and took it for a test ride. (Setting on Sport +2) He came back and when I asked him how he liked it. He just handed me my helmet and said, 'Try it.' I could tell by the look on his face that he was happy with it. Which was a good sign since we'd been discussing this unit off and on for awhile. We didn't want to recommend it unless we tried it. And we didn't want to promote something that gave Ho-Hum results.

Well, I rode it. And I must say, I found myself thinking (#1, it's going to be hard to go back to the shop) and (#2, I had a big smile on my face). In short, I was quite impressed. The nay-sayers are correct when they say that it doesn't give you any more HP. Though it feels like it does. What it does is give you everything you are asking for, right away. With the stock setting. You get only what the computer decides you need.

With the mod, it feels faster, because it is. It feels more responsive, because it is. I think of it as one of those launch roller-coasters. They can change the engagement mechanisms to be slower or faster. No change in the coaster's HP. But a big change to the ride. This is what you get with these throttle modifiers.

You may say you don't really need quicker response. That might be true. But my guess is, that if you tried it, you'd really like it. Most motorcycle owners don't ride to be mundane or plodders. Most, if not all of us, have at least, just a little bit of adventure surging through our veins. One of these throttle modifiers will make your 2010-2023 RT, or 2013+ anything else, a lot more fun to ride for not all that much money.

We've put quite a few on customers machines. Every one, so far, has been very happy with the upgrade.

Like most performance mods. I recommend putting some miles (at least 1,000) on your new ride before making changes. There are several advantages to this. It will give you a much better ability to evaluate and appreciate the change you've made. And help to avoid buyers remorse when you throw the wrong part at the situation you're trying to fix.

Is a throttle modifier required? No.

Worth it? Yes, I definitely think so.

Have a Great Riding Season!
    Last edited by BajaRon; 03-28-2023 at 12:59 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I thought it might be helpful to those on the fence about this throttle mod. I'll say, right out of the box (no pun intended), that I was skeptical. I have seen too many mods that were more hype than functional value. So, thinking this might well be more of an unnecessary gimmick than a genuine upgrade to the Spyder, I was not inclined to jump on this wagon.

I usually ride my 2008 GS, which is a cable throttle system. Twist the throttle and you get a very quick response. We purchased a 2015 F3 in 2020 because we wanted to fabricate parts for it. Same reason we purchased a 2019 Ryker Rally. I love the F3 by the way. My kind of ride. A very refined version of my 2008 GS.

Response on the F3 is decent, but not what I expected with the bigger motor. The more I rode it, the more it seemed a bit dead in throttle response. It just didn't seem to have the pep of my 998 V-Twin GS. Not a big deal really. Just something I noticed in comparison.

We started getting requests for not only one of these throttle response upgrade components, but customers also wanted us to install them. And, of course, advise as to what they could expect, and if I thought it worth the money. After doing some research, we ordered a Pedal Box. Daniel installed it on our F3 and took it for a test ride. (Setting on Sport +2) He came back and when I asked him how he liked it. He just handed me my helmet and said, 'Try it.' I could tell by the look on his face that he was happy with it. Which was a good sign since we'd been discussing this unit off and on for awhile. We didn't want to recommend it unless we tried it. And we didn't want to promote something that gave Ho-Hum results.

Well, I rode it. And I must say, I found myself thinking (#1, it's going to be hard to go back to the shop) and (#2, I had a big smile on my face). In short, I was quite impressed. The nay-sayers are correct when they say that it doesn't give you any more HP. Though it feels like it does. What it does is give you everything you are asking for, right away. With the stock setting. You get only what the computer decides you need.

With the mod, it feels faster, because it is. It feels more responsive, because it is. I think of it as one of those launch roller-coasters. They can change the engagement mechanisms to be slower or faster. No change in the coaster's HP. But a big change to the ride. This is what you get with these throttle modifiers.

You may say you don't really need quicker response. That might be true. But my guess is, that if you tried it, you'd really like it. Most motorcycle owners don't ride to be mundane or plodders. Most, if not all of us, have at least, just a little bit of adventure surging through our veins. One of these throttle modifiers will make your 2010-2023 RT, or 2013+ anything else, a lot more fun to ride for not all that much money.

We've put quite a few on customers machines. Every one, so far, has been very happy with the upgrade.

Like most performance mods. I recommend putting some miles (at least 1,000) on your new ride before making changes. There are several advantages to this. It will give you a much better ability to evaluate and appreciate the change you've made. And help to avoid buyers remorse when you throw the wrong part at the situation you're trying to fix.

I think it's unfortunate that you feel folks who tell the truth are " Nay-sayers ". A hair trigger throttle, is ( in my opinion ) something that can get you in a heap of trouble ... FAST ..... When I was an LEO one of the officers altered the spring on His service revolver ( which was bought at our police armory & set at the factory at 3 lbs of pull ) ..... well He accidentally dis-charged it and injured someone. He lost His job, He lost His pension, & was sued along with the dept...... Dramatic Yes !!!! .... Is the " Pedal box or Commander " likely to cause something like this to happen " - not likely ..... But one should ask ..... what happens if it does ..... I am not a lawyer, however I think if you had this on your Spyder or Ryker, there could be some Serious liability..... JMHO , good luck to all .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-28-2023 at 02:24 PM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Ron for your seat of the pants review on an approved device that improves throttle response.
    I’m sure it is used safely on a variety of vehicle types that are on the roads today.
    Does the company that manufactures these devices show any statistical data about percentage increases for each setting?

"Stupid is as Stupid does"
    Don't Drink and Drive or Ryde!
    Each Day is a Gift

Spyder Garage

My wife and I have had Ron/Daniel install one on each of our F3's. A 2018 and a 2019.
    For us they are well worth it. Sure at times we turn them off i.e. parking in the garage, loading on a trailer (which Daniel advised us of). We turn them off when riding in town also
    When we are on some twisty roads I think they make the bike respond so much better and I feel as if it shifts better too.
    As with any other new toy a person needs to test it out for a few miles.
    But for us we really like the pedal box well worth it.
    One other test to get a feel on how the bike responds is we go at a set speed (no cruise control on) and then push the button to get to another setting. You will feel the respond even just going at a set speed big difference
    Thanks
    Roger
    Last edited by RogerTN; 03-28-2023 at 04:07 PM.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I find what you are saying is definitely true. I have one of each (pedal commander and pedal box). They both do their job, and I say go with whichever has the best sell. The added acceleration can get you in trouble (maybe I should say throttle response), but it is something that you need to get used to. And because they both have many settings, there is no excuse for not just taking it up a notch as your confidence and ability gets better. I have the pedal commander on my F3L. This is actually my wife's bike now, but I ride it more than she does. I simply turn it off when she is riding and turn it back on when I am riding and want that extra thrill.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I have had the pedal box on my 22 S2S for about a month now. I absolutely love it. It adds a sports feel to my touring Spyder. The pedal box has three modes: City, Sport and Sport +. Each mode has 6 adjustment levels. These 18 levels allow the individual find their own comfort level. The pedal box is Bluetooth to my phone. When the Spyder is turned on, the pedal box will return to last setting if it was on when I turned off ignition. The only time I turn the pedal box off is to load on a trailer, otherwise I keep it in Sport mode. A couple of days ago, I decided to play with economy mode. I turned off the pedal box to pay attention to when the Spyder suggested shifting. It turns out, it wants to shift in economy mode around 2800-3000 RPMs. My Spyder just didn't feel right and probably never will without the Pedal Box now. For those of you that have an RT and wish it had a sport mode get a Pedal box...you will have 18 levels of throttle enhancement. By the way, mine was installed at Baja Ron's by Daniel. Love it.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-28-2023 at 06:47 PM. Reason: thepedal - the pedal ;-)

Spyder Garage

There is nothing wrong with either of these products if you want to utilize your throttle response the way it should have been from the factory. However, the important thing to consider here is that, throttle response is all either one of these can alter. If you really want to wake up your Spyder, give some thought to the Stage 1 or Stage 2 modifications that are available from other vendors. These modifications alter the ignition timing, fuel injection map, cooling fans, fuel flow, AND throttle response, plus some other parameters. I have the Stage 1 mod on my ECU and a Friend has the Pedal Commander. Side by side riding in the twisties, his bike overheated. My bike was content to wait for his to cool down!!
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

The value of adding a Pedal Commander to my Spyder a couple of years ago is quite simple. When I reach the apex of a corner and need to transition to acceleration, it happens NOW -- I don't have to twist a quarter turn to get power, which results in missing the ideal timing. Many years of riding carburetor/cable motorcycles has conditioned me to a linear throttle response. Not the softened 'we gotta be super careful' computer controlled response set by BRP.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by YPILOT View Post
    Thanks Ron for your seat of the pants review on an approved device that improves throttle response.
    I’m sure it is used safely on a variety of vehicle types that are on the roads today.
    Does the company that manufactures these devices show any statistical data about percentage increases for each setting?

“Approved device”, YPILOT? Approved by who? Certainly not by BRP

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ButterSmooth View Post
    The value of adding a Pedal Commander to my Spyder a couple of years ago is quite simple. When I reach the apex of a corner and need to transition to acceleration, it happens NOW -- I don't have to twist a quarter turn to get power, which results in missing the ideal timing. Many years of riding carburetor/cable motorcycles has conditioned me to a linear throttle response. Not the softened 'we gotta be super careful' computer controlled response set by BRP.
    Yes, that is exactly my reason for using it also, Buttersmooth…….. and it addresses my needs perfectly.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I think it's unfortunate that you feel folks who tell the truth are " Nay-sayers ". A hair trigger throttle, is ( in my opinion ) something that can get you in a heap of trouble ... FAST ..... When I was an LEO one of the officers altered the spring on His service revolver ( which was bought at our police armory & set at the factory at 3 lbs of pull ) ..... well He accidentally dis-charged it and injured someone. He lost His job, He lost His pension, & was sued along with the dept...... Dramatic Yes !!!! .... Is the " Pedal box or Commander " likely to cause something like this to happen " - not likely ..... But one should ask ..... what happens if it does ..... I am not a lawyer, however I think if you had this on your Spyder or Ryker, there could be some Serious liability..... JMHO , good luck to all .... Mike
    BRP/insurance companies could also take this approach to automobile tires on a spyder....

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good comment Mike from a different perspective. I've certainly done some homework on the pedal commander and found that it's not for me. Not a criticism, that's just me. I'm a two up conservative rider, I have my ways of riding the 2020 RTL and enjoying the ride. I have no problem keeping up with traffic on the interstate or doing the TN mountain scenery. Cheers and I take no offense to differing comments.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    'Nay-Sayers' might have been the wrong word. All I meant to convey is those who assert that the Throttle Response mod does not increase overall HP are correct. I was agreeing with you Mike. Just came out wrong. And that my evaluation of the product is that anyone who gives one a try would greatly appreciate the result. It's hard to know what you're missing with a mod like this one.

Improving throttle response isn't the same thing as shaving the trigger on something designed to kill. Even at it's most aggressive setting (which I doubt anyone will use) I wouldn't call it 'Hair Trigger'.

My GS came from the factory with essentially what the PedalBox did for our F3. Yes, the PedalBox, and I assume the Pedal Commander, have a range that goes beyond what most people will want to use. But they are totally programable and fine tuning is a breeze. In most cases, people test out a number of settings and find their 'Sweet Spot'. An over-responsive setting isn't going to be very sweet. The rider will be able to determine this easily.

In your scenario, it isn't the product that is dangerous. It's the user. As with anything. The user is responsible to apply reason and discretion. Extremely easily done with one of these units.

Anything is possible, of course. But I don't think this is a worry. If you want to talk about something dangerous. I have seen the palm throttle get people in trouble. Yet some riders use them and love them.

Palm Throttle.jpg

No one is asked to agree with my assessment. But I've put some time and effort into evaluating this product. We now carry the PedalBox because it genuinely enhances the Spyder and Ryker owners enjoyment. My opinion, if you try this. Your going to like it. So much so that if we install one on your bike and you don't like it. We'll take it off and you owe us nothing.

We do advise owners to turn the PedalBox off when loading into a trailer, just as an additional precaution. Loading into a trailer can be tricky regardless of how the throttle is set. A dead throttle response is actually an advantage in this case.

On the other hand. I would not hesitate to load our F3 with the PedalBox engaged at its current setting. It's not uncontrollable. At a reasonable setting, it is just as smooth and predictable as the OEM throttle response. It just comes on when you ask it to without delay. You still have your right hand controlling how much you want and when. You do not have to ride like Evil Knievel (If anyone remembers him) to appreciate what this does for your ride. We have very conservative customers who like it just as much as the more aggressive riders.

It only takes a few minutes to fully adjust to the change.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 03-29-2023 at 08:12 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ButterSmooth View Post
    Exactly! Throttle response on my Spyder was terrible. I have been riding for 50 years and owned countless bikes some of which had the throttle by wire system like the Spyder. None of those bikes were as bad as this one. A day in the twisties with a lot of on/off throttle and I was ready for a chiropractor. The Pedal Box cured what is in my opinion a defect. If the braking systems on these bikes had a lag or hesitation people would be screaming at the top of their lungs. I see throttle response as just as important. I don't want more horsepower, I'm not interested in smoking the tire, and I have no plans to drag race anyone. I just want my vehicle to respond to my inputs. My wife drives a Honda Pilot. That thing is a barge, but when the throttle is used it responds. I have the Box set to where it gives me smooth transitions between on and off throttle. Now that I have found that sweet spot I will I will probably never touch it again. It isn't for everyone, but those that use it are not always reckless, crazy, or speed demons. We just want a machine that responds when asked to respond.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Anything is possible, of course. But I don't think this is a worry. If you want to talk about something dangerous. I have seen the palm throttle get people in trouble. Yet some riders use them and love them.

Palm Throttle.jpg
    Funny that you should mention this. I have used those for years, on every bike that I have had without cruise control. And yes, I always remove them when i get to the twisties. It is always so easy to have the palm of my hand come down and accelerate at the worst possible time. Fortunately my BMW and both spyders have cruise, and I do not need this anymore.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    BRP/insurance companies could also take this approach to automobile tires on a spyder....
    ..... But I think they would have a difficult time convincing a jury that substituting an inferior product for a superior product is a liability...... Mike

Spyder Garage

I totally agree with everything Ron has said. I would not go back after having my Pedal Commander installed. The difference just can't be realized until you ride with it.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    ....Throttle response on my Spyder was terrible.
    I just want my vehicle to respond to my inputs......

Me too. I have just fitted a PedalBox. Why?

I wanted some throttle response - not bogging and then having to go down 2 gears and ring its neck.

Hell its a 1330 3 cylinder engine that preforms at times like a tapped out nifty 50.

After a day in the shed I had about 30 minutes before the rain was to arrive so I gapped it out and filled the tank at a servo.
    Got home with a few drops on the visor then it let drive. All about timing I guess.

I started with sport+ standard. As I was curious. Bit on or off around town at 30mph/50kph for me.

So I backed it down to sport with 3 bars for the ride home. Much better.

I will try the city mode and a longer ride when it clears and time permits.

Spyder Garage

Anything at all can be dangerous if your incompetent and stupid.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Isopedella View Post
    Anything at all can be dangerous if your incompetent and stupid.
    Yep, yep, yep, Iso…..that is exactly what it comes down to

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Anyone have experience with the apps for the box or commander? I'm going to buy one of them and leave it mounted under the plastic. Since they work about the same I'll get the one with the better app. For android.

Spyder Garage

I don't remember buying an app for pedal box. I think I just scanned QR code that came with pedal box directions.

Spyder Garage

From what I understand there is the

PedalBox

PedalBox® for the Can Am® Spyder with 1330 motor including F3 (all models including Limited) and the 2014-2021 RT (including Limited)

+10% Better Acceleration
    4 programs to optimize the accelerator pedal characteristic
    More than 20 different settings available
    Incl. Memory function, saves the last selected setting
    Perfec-Tune feature for individual custom tuning of your vehicle
    4 programs (Sport, Sport+, City, Stock)
    Easy install- works on all Can Am Spyders with the 1330 motor

The PedalBox is weather and water resistant. All of our boards are sealed with an epoxy solution, along with weather proof seals when snapped closed.

And the PedalBox +

+10% Better Acceleration
    4 programs to optimize the accelerator pedal characteristic
    More than 20 different settings available
    Memory function, saves the last selected setting
    PerfecTune feature for individual custom tuning of your vehicle
    Controlling of the PedalBox+ with app
    4 programs (Sport, Sport+, City, Stock)
    Easy install- works on all Can Am Spyders with the 1330 motor
    The PedalBox is weather and water resistant. All of our boards are sealed with an epoxy solution, along with weather proof seals when snapped closed.
    PedalBox can be mounted out of sight and controlled by your smartphone app. No need for extra mounting hardware to clutter up your bars
    Last edited by Isopedella; 03-29-2023 at 05:23 PM.

Spyder Garage

Yeah I didn't phrase that very well. The commander and the pedalbox+ both allow control from their free app. Just wondering if one app is better than the other.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kj2364 View Post
    Yeah I didn't phrase that very well. The commander and the pedalbox+ both allow control from their free app. Just wondering if one app is better than the other.
    That’s going to be hard to answer unless you have had experience with both, kj, and not too many riders have that. Suffice to say, they both work well, the Box apparently has slightly better waterproofing (which doesn’t matter if you are putting it under a panel). You really can’t go wrong with either, so make a selection based on price, looks etc.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.