Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default After Fabrication details for a Prop rod for the seat. 2022 RT-L

I searched, Trust me.

So awhile back one of the members posted a picture of a prop rod for his seat to keep it up during fueling.

If him or her could chime in and provide details on the fabrication it would be nice.

Yes I have the super duty McMaster Car gas strut and ''helper spring'' and the seat still shuts under the weight
    of the giant butt buffer gel pad.

PS, I used a bungie cord and it snapped and nearly took my eye out . Don't use a bungie cord.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SLICE View Post
    I searched, Trust me.

So awhile back one of the members posted a picture of a prop rod for his seat to keep it up during fueling.

If him or her could chime in and provide details on the fabrication it would be nice.

Yes I have the super duty McMaster Car gas strut and ''helper spring'' and the seat still shuts under the weight

PS, I used a bungie cord and it snapped and nearly took my eye out . Don't use a bungie cord.
    Yes, I saw that and now can’t find it either, Stephan…... sorry……Its plus is that it was attached under the seat and simply dropped down. I thought of doing it, but decided that the old 5” long T-bar Allen wrench that I keep in my glove box is easily accessible and works just as well for me.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I searched, Trust me.

I think it was me .... I have pics and an explanation in one of my Albums ..... if not enough info ....ask me questions. ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I think it was me .... I have pics and an explanation in one of my Albums ..... if not enough info ....ask me questions. ..... Mike
    If you could dig up the pictures it would be nice. IIRC you used a brass rod and hinge.

Spyder Garage

If you could dig up the pictures it would be nice. IIRC you used a brass rod and hinge.
    If you click on his username to the left of the post above yours, then click on 'View Profile' in the drop-down list, that'll bring up his profile - run down the left column until you see his Albums listed, I think the Gas Strut Replacement Album is probably the top one in the list.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I'm NOT talented in these area's.... all of my pics were posted for me by another member who is no longer on this Forum .... do what Peter said it's real easy....sorry, ...... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-27-2023 at 09:31 PM.

Spyder Garage

So let me get this right, even the NEWER models still have the tank under the seat issue ? but a nice pricey aftermarket seat has a fuel door?
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AbNormy View Post
    So let me get this right, even the NEWER models still have the tank under the seat issue ? but a nice pricey aftermarket seat has a fuel door?
    If you are referring to the GAS tank ... it has never moved since introduced in 2010 ./.... There is only one after-market seat ( that I am aware of ) that has a GAS DOOR as an option ..... Adding one is fairly easy, and cost approx. $ 75.00 in parts .... another member just did an installation .... PM Him
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-28-2023 at 12:15 AM.

Spyder Garage

No, Mike, it wasn’t you. It was for a ‘20+ RT. This was a brass (or similar) rod, with a right angle at one end which was fastened under the seat, and a small rubber boot. When you lifted the seat, it automatically dropped down.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AbNormy View Post
    Sort of, AbNormy. You don’t need a fuel door on the new RT. It has a hinged front seat. Twist the key to the left and the seat pops up, enabling easy access to your gas cap, while your passenger remains seated. The only issue is that adding any weight to your seat, like a woollen seat cover etc makes the seat too heavy for the hydraulic lift, and you need to look for alternatives

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Your pictures provided enough info to get my creative juices flowing, now to dig through my ''junk'' to see if I have enough scrap to fabricate a prop rod.

Stephan.

Spyder Garage

I just ordered a gas shock for my sled trailer through Mcmasters, I am surprised that you could not go up a few psi on the gas levels to make it work. But the old prop rod will always work for you!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-28-2023 at 05:36 AM.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I just ordered a gas shock for my sled trailer through Mcmasters, I am surprised that you could not go up a few psi on the gas levels to make it work. But the old prop rod will always work for you!!
    The gas shocks get fatter as you go up in pressure and you run into clearance issues.

Stephan.

Spyder Garage

The gas shocks get fatter as you go up in pressure and you run into clearance issues.

Stephan.
    Stephan, I'm not sure what strut that you ordered from McMaster Carr but the part number https://www.mcmaster.com/9416K14/ goes up to 130# without changing size. I replaced the stock 18# strut with a 30# strut and it works great for me with Motorcycle Dave's gel insert installed in the seat.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Your pictures provided enough info to get my creative juices flowing, now to dig through my ''junk'' to see if I have enough scrap to fabricate a prop rod.

Stephan.
    Read what " Peteoz " p[osted above .... I didn't realize your seat is different from my 2014 .... I am not familiar with the newer seats ....sorry .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Stephan.
    Are you sure about this ..... I have quite a few GAS shocks in different length's and PSI's ..... the difference might be 5mm at most..... JMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I used BLUEKNIGHT!!'s method (I think) on my 2008 GS as the Utopia backrest was too heavy for the strut.
    When I lift the seat now a length of 1/4" rod falls down, It has a rubber foot on it.

Great, I love it.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    I used BLUEKNIGHT!!'s method (I think) on my 2008 GS as the Utopia backrest was too heavy for the strut.
    When I lift the seat now a length of 1/4" rod falls down, It has a rubber foot on it.

Great, I love it.
    Yes I made them for both my early Spyders also .... I only talked about the 14 RT because not much interest in the early models ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Read what " Peteoz " p[osted above .... I didn't realize your seat is different from my 2014 .... I am not familiar with the newer seats ....sorry .... Mike
    The bottom of the seat has a lip I can drill into. The frame has a plastic cover over it to about midway up the rise, that will give me ''brake''.
    I will mount a rod to the lip and hold in place with a magnet, when I fill up I'll just let the rod drop down and I should be GTG.

Spyder Garage

The bottom of the seat has a lip I can drill into. The frame has a plastic cover over it to about midway up the rise, that will give me ''brake''.
    I will mount a rod to the lip and hold in place with a magnet, when I fill up I'll just let the rod drop down and I should be GTG.
    Looking forward to seeing your DIY … still waiting for my repair to be done on mine.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Rather than drilling and attaching anything to the seat ..... bolt the rod to the frame .... that's how i did mine ..... check and see if you have any plastic " push pins " on the frame " Y " if so I think you could put a 5 in (?) 1/4 in. bolt thru it to the anchor the rod .... that's what I did .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-29-2023 at 12:03 AM.

Spyder Garage

Hmmmmmm. You’ve got me thinking now, Stephan. The old 5” long Allen I am using has a right angle on the end about an inch long. I might see if I can drill through the lip, poke the short Allen end through the hole and maybe fasten it there with a cotter pin. Then a rubber boot on the long end should give me plenty of grip and it can just float loose without damaging anything.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

I must be the cheap old fart of the Forum. I use a hunk of compressed air hose, length cut to fit, and it goes 'round the seat latch pin on one end, and into the seat latch cup on the other. Stores on the shelf under the seat. Couldn't cost $1.00.
    Ride safe; shiny side up, greasy side down.

best,
    linguine

2020 RT Limited , Chalk Gray

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by linguine View Post
    I must be the cheap old fart of the Forum. I use a hunk of compressed air hose, length cut to fit, and it goes 'round the seat latch pin on one end, and into the seat latch cup on the other. Stores on the shelf under the seat. Couldn't cost $1.00.
    Clever, Linguine, very clever…….you cheap old fart

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

I searched, Trust me.

This may not be clear.....but here goes.
    I just use a 5-6" long piece of the "framing Strip" that is sold to hold those plastic fencing panels (usually 4x8x1/4" thick) together. The gap is just right to fit over the seat rod and It just slips on the seat rod when needed. for storage it lays on the left side of the cutout area under the seat, across from the rod itself.
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.