Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Fed up with Can-Am service!

It is March 26, 2023. My 2015 Spyder F3 has been in the shop since February 4, 2023. It went in the shop because the belt went bad. The belt went bad because it was never aligned and tightened properly when the rear tire was replaced in 2019. Since then, the bike was rattling for 3 years because the caps in the rear where you adjust the belt were not fastened properly. As you know, in 2022 a recall came out for the front sprocket. (My bike had already broken down on the road because of the faulty front sprocket and replaced with the same old sprocket) Summer of 2022, I was told, "We should have the new front sprocket in by the last week of August." It never came in. I eventually got tired of calling. My bike sits in the shop today disassembled because Can-Am for some unknown reason will not or cannot supply my dealer with the new front sprocket. It appears to be available on at least two Can-Am parts web sites on line. Maybe I need to order the thing myself and hand carry it to the dealer. I am fed up with this front sprocket issue and my dealer telling me when they should come in and they never do.
    John F.
    Tallahassee, FL

2015 Spyder F3 SE6, black
    BRP Driver/passenger Footboards
    BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest
    Blue Ridge Windshield
    MRA X-Creen Tour, clear, clamp-on
    H4 LED Headlights
    F3 LED Fog Light Kit, LED Amber Halo Ring Kit, LED Tail Lights, F3 Rear run/brake/turn LEDs
    Easy Brackets
    Leatherworks, Inc. 120 Special Slight Angle Saddlebags
    Custom Dynamics Front Mud Flap LED lights, Street Magic Front Fender Tips, Double Feature Lens
    2-up rear shock
    Idler pulley kit

Spyder Garage

Surely you can continue riding until your sprocket comes in. Get in there and repossess your bike.
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

''Experts" say eating red meat makes the sun hot
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

Fed up or not-personally would be corporate attention on the questionable dealer.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

This most certainly reeks of a Dealer s**t show, and a lot of disinformation, but some questions arise: (1) There have been numerous threads here that chronicle the entire history of the sprocket (very long) recall process. Have you checked any of them to get a real time sense of the timeline of this whole ordeal? (2) Who installed the tire/what tire in 2019; Belt went bad after three plus years of "rattling" but you did nothing? Did you look at the belt alignment? Did the caps fall off? If so, when? (3) Why do you believe what the dealer is telling you about the availability of the replacement front sprocket? Did you have the interim inspection/fix done? That would have put you in line for the recall fix, as the dealer would have your VIN on file with BRP as having had the interim fix done. The sprocket started to become fairly widely available October/November of 2022. Got mine done early December, but I will admit that I was one of the fairly early lucky ones. Lots more have been done as of this date. Buying a sprocket and bringing it to the dealer will not help you. They have to get the specific sprocket, bolt, and washer from BRP and install it to satisfy both the NHTSA & BRP recall requirements. That your ride is totally disassembled to replace the sprocket and/or belt smells like dead fish, but unfortunately you are in a pretty tough spot.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

My question to you is, are you still using the same dealer that didn't put your tire on right, if your answers yes, I would say is there another dealer in that state? Maybe your problems not with BRP, but the dealer your using.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Sound like a dealer problem to me. What dealer are you using? Why are you putting up with so much B.S.? I also would like to know the answers to the questions asked by "oldguyin TX".. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

We surely feel your pain. The dealer service seems to be less and less these days. They have plenty of excuses...supply line issues, can't get the proper help, its BRP's fault, etc. etc. etc. I feel very fortunate that we still have a couple places where I feel confident to take the bikes for service. I have to drive 75 miles to the closest one, but it is worth it.

There are to many incompetent and uncaring dealers. Some, seems to me, go out of their way to sell you the unit and then do everything to avoid service, which should be a large piece of the transaction. I am a big foe of the take the money and run dealers. And there are becoming more and more of them.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Ok, I will add some more information rather than numerically answer each question. I always thought the rattling in the back was my aftemarket saddle bags. I couldn't figure it out. Then I noticed the belt was not aligned. I read the shop manual and found out where the belt adjustment bolts were located. Aha! Those two caps one on each side were not tightened up against the frame. Then I looked at the washer on both sides of the axle. Aha! It was too far forward. I could not adjust the belt myself as i could not pull the wheel back. So off to the dealer I went. I do not have much faith in the mechanics at my dealership. I question if they are Can-Am trained or just have some motorcycle mechanic experience and are hired.
    Strike 1: When I had the brake pedal extension put on several years ago, they failed to put the brake pedal bolt back on and the pedal flopped around. Luckily, I was still on the dealer property and had the mechanic put the bolt back on.
    Strike 2: The rear tire installation as I have mentioned. Yeah, they put the tire and wheel back on, BUT WHAT ABOUT PAYING ATTENTION TO MY BELT ALIGNMENT AND TENSION?
    Strike 3: The front sprocket issue and the fact that my bike broke down on the road and it was replaced with the original stock number sprocket. It's coming up on a year and my dealer says Can Am has not had the new sprocket available. My F3 has been in the shop disassembled since Feb 4, 2023. That's almost 2 months now. I am seriously considering selling when I get it back and not look back at Can-Am. Thanks to all of you who read this and took the time to comment. I just now today called Can Am myself and explained the situation to them, that my dealer has not and cannot get the sprocket after all this time. I was told, "The matter will be referred to the appropriate department." I will give them some time and see what happens before I "shake the tree" again.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-18-2023 at 03:48 AM. Reason: sp ' 's ... ;-)
    John F.
    Tallahassee, FL

Blue Ridge Windshield
    H4 LED Headlights
    F3 LED Fog Light Kit, LED Amber Halo Ring Kit, LED Tail Lights, F3 Rear run/brake/turn LEDs
    Easy Brackets
    Custom Dynamics Front Mud Flap LED lights, Street Magic Front Fender Tips, Double Feature Lens
    2-up rear shock
    Idler pulley kit

Spyder Garage

Thanks for that info, John. It will be very interesting to see CanAm Head Office’s “action” on this. We know the new sprockets are out there and available, so the dealer is definitely fibbing on that one, but what action will CanAm take to address a customer issue? I wait with baited breath, but knowing the speed at which CanAm operate, I won’t be “holding” it

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Has anyone asked about the sprocket recall and been told you have to leave it with them for a few days. Think I’ve read on other posts they’ve had it done while waiting.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-27-2023 at 10:31 PM. Reason: tolded - told ;-)
    2019 F3 Limited Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I was told 2 days when I take it in April. 1-2 hour install and reassemble depending if sprocket is not rusted on, then let it cure for 24 hours before pickup. So if I drop off on a Monday at 4:30 after work, I can pick up at 4:30 on Wednesday which is earliest I can get there anyway. My friend already had his done at a different dealer in a different state and did the same thing.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Have refrained from telling my experience, but will share it here now. We have a ‘15 and a ‘17 F3-S, both needing recall done. Had stopped by the shop (45 miles away) while on a ride to have them look at a few things, as my ‘17 is still under 2-yr basic warranty. The answers to my few questions to the service writers were anything but confidence-inspiring. Ended up calling someone in the parts department and, after me explaining at least twice that these two Spyders HAD to have the new silver sprockets - no matter the condition of the currently-installed sprockets - they finally opened two tickets and got two ordered. Five weeks later, got a call that they were in. Explained to the service writer that I was coming from ~50 miles away, and DID NOT want either/both Spyders just sitting there waiting their turn. A week later, I got a call to bring it in the following Wednesday and they’d get on it first thing. I double-checked on Tuesday that we were still a go for Wednesday, and was told we were to be first up Wednesday morning. Great! We even got the first one there Tuesday afternoon. Didn’t hear anything Wednesday, so called Thursday afternoon. Said they were finishing up on two other Spyders w/ sprockets. Hmmm. Friday afternoon, I call and they said they broke their puller, but a new one should be in Monday. My wife calls Tuesday afternoon, and they say they have the new puller, and are finishing up on those other two Spyders. Really? She calls again Wednesday afternoon, was told they were working on it and should by done by day’s end. We call again Thursday at noon, they say they should be getting to it very soon. ??? My wife (fuming!) told them to put *something* on it -new, old, or...- and we’re picking it up in an hour. Got there, and, amazingly, our service writer was out to lunch. And the service manager was not available. Yeah, right. Twenty minutes later, they drive it around front for us to take. I glance at it, and the front pulley cover is not on it! Tell the service guy, and they spend 15minutes trying to find it. In fact, couldn’t find anybody who said they took it off!! Anyway - found it in the front parking lot - it fell off when they were driving it around. No bolts in it. Ten minutes spent finding 3 bolts. Then the tech doesn’t know how it goes on - I had line it up for him!!

My biggest problem in all this is their total lack of customer service. Not one phone call to us from the service dept. Out-and-out LIED to us at least twice. And didn’t seem apologetic AT ALL about it. Just kept telling us, “Well, some of these are hard to get off”. And my response was, “Ours was supposed to be first Wednesday morning. So, you’re telling me you haven’t worked on ANY Spyders in a week? Not even looked at ‘em? And why do you tell me you’re working on it ‘as we speak’ when clearly you haven’t touched it?” Response was back to “some of these are hard to get off”. Don’t believe I will set foot in that dealership again.

Sorry - rant over. But feels good to vent. I know my description does not fully explain just how bad all this actually was.

Question I have now is - a ticket was opened on both units to order the sprockets. But neither got put on. Will I still be able to go to another dealer (somewhere!) and get them changed? Or will “the system” say that parts have already been ordered for these two units?

White 2015 F3-S SE6 - “Gypsy” (hers)
    Yellow 2017 F3-S Daytona 500 SM6 (his)

Spyder Garage

Have you made all that known to the Dealer Principal at that place BCNewell?

If not, I reckon you should! If EVERYONE who got this sort of treatment from the Service Department made a big noise about it, you might eventually see some changes.... But if no-one ever tells the Owner, or even if only a couple complain, then it usually just gets swept under the carpet!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Sounds about right, I am in Arkansas brought mine in to put on a new back tire. took them about a week. It looked a little odd I drove off the lot and kept getting a clicking noise. I put it in reverse to get back to the shop. Obviously, an untrained mechanic worked on the machine. The rear axle caps were gone, 3 weeks later I got my 2018 F3 back. The problem they beat the Axle out and bent it, I had a silver sprocket, now its black, the bearings were ruined, and they put the tire and failed to include the proper spacers. Another 3 weeks to get the bolt caps.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-27-2023 at 10:33 PM. Reason: axes - axle ;-)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

BCNewell .... I feel your pain .... what you posted is EXACTLY why I avoid Dealers at all costs.... I had a couple of bad experiences early in my Spyder ownership & I did have had some Warranty work done. The number of Dis-honest people, have been increasing over the decades that I have been buying things. The human race ( in general ) is, Sadly declining ... No one takes responsibility for anything thaT DOESN'T GO WELL ..... jmho .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I think it would be helpful to tell us all the name of the dealerships involved, good or bad, .....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I would not wait very long to shake that tree! And if I was you I would find a new shop even if you have to drive to the next state, get your bike back and out of that shop! At best they will just slap your ride together and tell you it's ready after getting spanked by BRP, and you're going to have to take it somewhere to have their work checked just for a piece of mind, unless you think you can do that. Good luck anyway and don't let one bad shop leave a bad taste in you mouth! If I lived closer to you I would say bring it over and I could check it out for you. Good Luck
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wow, welcome to the world of dealers with apprentice techs. They tear the Spyder down and there it sits, what can ya do? They have you by the short hairs.

Spyder Garage

Big problem with the north Florida Spyder dealers is that 3 or 4 of them are owned by the same company and they sell many other brands of bikes, as well as the Spyders.

I have never taken mine back to the dealer for anything. After having to go over it fixing stuff after it was assembled at the dealership, I don't trust them. The problem is not specific to Can Am either. I own a 2001 Harley Sportster and it has never been to a dealership in the 20 years I have had it.

If my front sprocket lasts long enough to get past the shortage, I will change it myself.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I would not wait very long to shake that tree! And if I was you I would find a new shop even if you have to drive to the next state, get your bike back and out of that shop! At best they will just slap your ride together and tell you it's ready after getting spanked by BRP, and you're going to have to take it somewhere to have their work checked just for a piece of mind, unless you think you can do that. Good luck anyway and don't let one bad shop leave a bad taste in you mouth! If I lived closer to you I would say bring it over and I could check it out for you. Good Luck
    Admittedly, I should have taken it to the dealership in Panama City, FL or even Jacksonville, FL I never let the dealership change my oil; I do it myself. I have the "Gold Plugs" on it and they would probably "come up missing" if I let them do it. My mind is just about made up for selling when I get it back. I am held by the shorthairs because it is in the shop "disassembled." The dealer did offer to "find a used sprocket" and put it on. That's insane. The sprocket that is on there now is not even two years old, so isn't that a "used sprocket' and isn't that in pretty good shape yet? And I said that to him. No reply. I am fed up with this dealership. I realize I didn't name it, but all you have to do is google Can Am, Tallahassee, FL. At this point, hearing of all of the other people who got their front sprocket recall accomplished, I am pretty confident I have been lied to. You can bet when I do get the bike back, I will take the cover off, look at the "new" sprocket and take photos. Afterall, "Did I get the NEW sprocket?" So far, I've lost the use of my bike all of February, 2023 and all of March 2023.
    Last edited by deer30084; 03-30-2023 at 11:23 AM.
    John F.
    Tallahassee, FL

Blue Ridge Windshield
    H4 LED Headlights
    Easy Brackets
    2-up rear shock
    Idler pulley kit

Spyder Garage

I'd like to add my $0.02 worth here to try to help. As to the posts about the axle caps being loose. I think you guys are talking about two different things with two different functions. The round black plastic caps that go over the axle bolt head and nut are simply decorative. They snap into place and do fall out easily. If they are missing you will simply see the axle bolt and nut. However, if you are talking about the two rectangular metal caps that are in the rear of each side of the swingarm with the allen head bolt, these are the adjusters to set belt tension and tracking. If the allen screws are backed all the way out you can lose them and the metal cap. The actual adjusters cannot fall out because the axle bolt goes through them. If your adjuster caps were so loose as to be rattling, then the belt was absolutely not tensioned at rear tire replacement. Whether or not the belt tension and tracking were properly set, when the axle bolt is tightened (I guess torqued properly is out of the question here) it clamps the adjusters where they are.
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Do my own work, with hubby bears guidance. Did let local dealer perform the sprocket exchange, no issues to report....
    2016 F3-T , Blk/Rd

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jane1330 View Post
    Do my own work, with hubby bears guidance. Did let local dealer perform the sprocket exchange, no issues to report....
    The problem is my dealer has told me he cannot get the sprocket from Can Am. He has been lying to me since last summer. He has been stringing me along. First it was, "They will be here by the last week of August (2022)." That came and went. i called him several times through November. Each time I was told they are not yet available. I have in the past few days called 4 Can Am dealerships in the area that have perfomed the front sprocket recall on several bikes. The question is: WHY IS MY DEALER NOT TELLING ME THE TRUTH AS TO WHY HE IS NOT GETTING THE SPROCKET LIKE OTHER DEALERS?
    John F.
    Tallahassee, FL

Blue Ridge Windshield
    H4 LED Headlights
    Easy Brackets
    2-up rear shock
    Idler pulley kit

Spyder Garage

Is this dealer authorised to do the recall? Or any repairs on Spyders? Maybe Canam won't supply parts to this particular dealer because they don't pay bills? Who knows.
    Andrew
    Melbourne Australia
    2016 F3L Spyder

Now, wash your hands

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by deer30084 View Post
    The problem is my dealer has told me he cannot get the sprocket from Can Am. He has been lying to me since last summer. He has been stringing me along. First it was, "They will be here by the last week of August (2022)." That came and went. i called him several times through November. Each time I was told they are not yet available. I have in the past few days called 4 Can Am dealerships in the area that have perfomed the front sprocket recall on several bikes. The question is: WHY IS MY DEALER NOT TELLING ME THE TRUTH AS TO WHY HE IS NOT GETTING THE SPROCKET LIKE OTHER DEALERS?

Deer (John) ,

He hasn’t been lying to you all that time. The “final fix” sprockets were slated to be available from around Aug ‘22, but they didn’t start arriving at dealers until around Dec ‘22, and then only a very few to select large dealers. It wasn’t until this year that they started to become more widely available, but still only in limited amounts. But having said that, he should, by now, have been able to order the sprocket and have an idea of delivery date. Call him again now, and if he still says they are unavailable to order, ask him why other dealerships have not only ordered them, but had them delivered and have installed them. You can then make a call on whether to bother using him for ANY work

Pete
    Last edited by Peteoz; 04-01-2023 at 03:35 PM.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red