Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Trailer harness RT 622

Anyone know where l can purchase a plug and play harness to convert a 2010 RT622 TRAILER to a 4 pin square. Also the harness for the GROUND fix? TIA.
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 03-26-2023 at 03:06 PM.
    2022 marsala red RTL
    AND

2014 RT S SE-6 COGNAC, 2010 RT 622 TRAILER TIMELESS BLACK
    BRP trailer hitch, Utopia back rest, Baja Ron sway bar , heim links. Elka stage 2 shocks front and rear.
    TricLed fender lights, saddlebag lights and mirror lights. LED headlights and fog lights, Wide vu mirrors.
    spyderpops LED bumpskid ,zippered cargo bag linings, Laser Alignment by Netzleys Tire, Stebal air horn
    stant gas cap,( Dimple oil plugs REMOVED ) JT dash mount.
    (Onboard) Lamonster Garage air compressor and intelliboost charger.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderryder53 View Post
    Anyone know where l can purchase a plug and play harness to convert a 2010 RT622 TRAILER to a 4 pin square. Also the harness for the GROUND fix? TIA.
    Hope you're reasonably handy with wiring. I don't think a P & P solution exists for what you want. First, what kind of connector do you have on the trailer pigtail? Post a pic of it. Second, the 4 pin plug on your Spyder means the trailer brake lights also serve as the turn signals. Your trailer was originally, if not still, wired in a normal 5 wire configuration meaning the turn signals are amber and separate from the brake lights. Your Spyder is wired that way. The Spyder to trailer wiring configuration was changed several times during the first few years so things can get confusing.

Tell us what exactly you have and want to accomplish and we can then tell you which direction to go. There have been pigtail adapters in the past from BRP but I've no idea what is available now for the older trailers.

In short, you have a 5 wire light system on your Spyder, the trailer harness converts that to a 4 wire system, the common trailer configuration today, and your trailer is a 5 wire system, (6 wire when you include backup lights).
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 03-26-2023 at 07:37 PM. Reason: add last sentence

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Right now, I have the 9 pin (6 used) on both my trailer and Spyder (2014) so I'm all set there, BUT I have a 2022 RTL with a 4 pin square plug and was wondering how to use the trailer with it?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-26-2023 at 11:38 PM. Reason: ' 's ;-)
    2022 marsala red RTL
    AND

BRP trailer hitch, Utopia back rest, Baja Ron sway bar , heim links. Elka stage 2 shocks front and rear.
    TricLed fender lights, saddlebag lights and mirror lights. LED headlights and fog lights, Wide vu mirrors.
    spyderpops LED bumpskid ,zippered cargo bag linings, Laser Alignment by Netzleys Tire, Stebal air horn

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have the 9 pin (6 used)
    This is unusual for a USA variant RT-622. 6-wires is the AUS variant. Just to confirm, your turn signals operate independently of the brake lights -- correct?

The 9-pin connector is configured to support all three RT-622 variants: USA, CAN and AUS. The connector is an OBD-type connector you can buy on Amazon (and eBay). So the first step is confirming which variant you have.

PS I hope you are wrong about 6 wires -- makes things a bit complicated.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

I'll double check on the wires I could be mistaken, or it could be 6 wires and 1 not connected.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-26-2023 at 11:39 PM. Reason: ' 's ;-)
    2022 marsala red RTL
    AND

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You don't need to check the wires. Are your turn signals (they would be amber) separate from your brake lights (which are red).

And the ground is pretty simple. There's a Deutsch DB4 connector pigtail that breaks it out. Verify you have that connector at the cable entrance into the trailer body. If so, I have that pigtail somewhere in storage.
    Last edited by BertRemington; 03-26-2023 at 11:48 PM. Reason: corrected DB6 to DB4

Spyder Garage

I'll double check on the wires I could be mistaken, or it could be 6 wires and 1 not connected.
    Does the trailer have backup lights? I think the earliest models did, particularly the AUS version. If so that would be the sixth wire.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-26-2023 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Let's assume the best (and most likely) case: you have the USA variant RT-622 where the brake lights are also the turn signals. You would buy the "OBD" 9-pin connector with pigtail and the 4-pin connector matching your 2022 RTL. Of the 9-wires, you would select the appropriate four and mate the two connectors together.

And I just noticed you asked about this last September https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1644921 The solution I proposed then and the solution proposed above are equivalent. If your turn signals are independent (ie 6 wires is correct) then the above solution provides the most flexibility.

So to answer this thread's specific question: NO.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Idaho -- that is correct. Ground, Tail, Brake, Left Turn, Right Turn, and Backup. The Spyder and trailer light assemblies are the same... except for the bulb sockets.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-26-2023 at 11:41 PM. Reason: ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

Right now, I have the 9 pin (6 used) on both my trailer and Spyder (2014) so I'm all set there, BUT I have a 2022 RTL with a 4 pin square plug and was wondering how to use the trailer with it?
    Here's the pinout you most likely have.

9 wire trailer plug pinout.jpg

You'll probably need to make your own adapter to go from the bike 4 pin to the trailer 9 pin. The simplest approach is to connect bike ground to trailer ground, bike left turn/brake to trailer left brake, bike right turn/brake to trailer right brake, and bike running to trailer position. When you pull with the '22 RT you won't use the amber turn signal lights.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-26-2023 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Idaho -- that diagram doesn't describe the USA variant: H is Right Turn and Brake; J is Left Turn and Brake.

See my https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1607949

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

To clarify, the Spyder-Trailer interface module in the left-hand cargo storage is the same for USA-CAN-AUS. What changes is the Spyder-Trailer cable and accordingly the 9-pin connector wiring. So one interface module and three cables (USA-CAN-AUS). There are also three RT-622 interior wiring harnesses (USA-CAN-AUS). The lighting assemblies are the same except CAN and AUS have amber turn lamps and AUS has white backup lamps.

Spyder Garage

Are you referring to this pinout? This is from the 2012 RT trailer owner manual. I believe this is the same as in the post you link to above.

2012 Trailer plug pinout.jpg

I could be wrong but I think the pinout in the 9 wire connector was changed from 2010 to 2012. The configuration you refer to above uses the brake lights for turn signals, but I'm quite sure in 2010 the US trailer had separate turn and brake lights. In fact that is what the OP says he has now. So this 4 wire pinout can't be what the OP has.

I don't know if you were around here in 2014 time frame but RT-622 trailer wiring was a confusing mess from 2010 (2008?) to 2012. BRP made changes to both the bike and trailer I think almost every year. It was a challenge to get trailers and bikes of differing years to connect correctly. BRP finally cleared things up when they went to the normal 4 wire automotive trailer light scheme, but that actually was contrary to most all other m/c trailer conventions. Most all m/c trailers up till 2014, and maybe even yet today, were 5 wire. BRP trailer was the first, I believe, m/c trailer that went with the 4 wire system.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

My signal lights are separate from the brake lights
    The connector under the trailer is a 6 wire.
    Thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2022 marsala red RTL
    AND

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

53 -- with six wires you should have both turn signals separate from brakes and backup lamps. Can you send us a picture of one of the trailer lights? We should be seeing an amber bulb in the turn signal position and a clear bulb in the backup position (same positions as the Spyder lights).

Good news -- the ground fix is easy. Just splice into the Black wire and clamp it under the nut shown.

Bad news -- you have a choice. (1) lose the separate turn signal and backup lamp functionality (turn signals will be combined with brake lights like the USA 4-wire cable); or (2) replace the trailer interface module in the 2022RT with something that breaks out the turn signals (I believe 5-wire systems are available from Amazon for the Spyder).

Idaho -- I believe in all cases the 9-pin version of Spyder trailer interface module was the same; only the cables changed according to country and apparently year.

WRT to pinout assignments, I developed mine from measurements not schematics.

Spyder Garage

There are amber bulbs in the signal and back up I'll have to dig it out and plug it in to see if the past owner converted the backup to signal lights
    Thank you for your help much appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2022 marsala red RTL
    AND

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

53 -- let's assume they are wired together. Doesn't much matter. You have an easy solution available. Remove the existing 2022RT trailer interface module and install LaMonster's https://www.lamonstergarage.com/elec...ent-lamonster/ Show Chrome 41-201 fuse block in its place. Then you need to buy a Type 2 J1939 9-Pin socket with pigtail. This is a good candidate from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/J1939-Female-...dp/B08786TN7Q/ You want to ensure all 9 pins are wired -- some are only 6 pins and its not clear which are wired.

I said it was easy ... if you have some automotive wiring experience and tools. Plan on several days as you will need to access the 2022RT light assemblies, build a bracket for the J1939 connector on the 2022RT as well as weather-seal wiring and cable entries. You will need a DVOM, heat gun with adhesive heat shrink tubing, 16AWG stranded wire, small screwdriver, and probably a soldering gun/iron.

The result is a trailer that will plug into either Spyder with separate amber turn signals. Congratulations!

PS if you send me the 41-201 schematic I can help with wire colors. The J1939 cable wire-to-pin colors will need to be tested with the DVOM. I can tell you the colors for my cable but I doubt they are standardized.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Let's see if I can make this work in text-only mode:

2022RT rear light cable => SC breakout cable => SC relay module => J1939 socket
    2022RT trailer module power ===========> SC relay module

Spyder Garage

OK 53, you've got some decisions to make. Bert outlined them above.
    Do you really want to pull the trailer with either Spyder? If so the most practical solution is to convert the trailer harness on your 2014 to a 4 wire system. You probably should do that anyway because there was a high failure rate with the isolator module for the 9 pin connector. You will have to make wiring changes on the trailer to disable the amber turn lights and combine the brake and turn lights to the current brake lights. You will need to have a second trailer pigtail that you can switch back and forth with the current one by plugging and unplugging the two pigtails into the 6 wire deutsch connector under the tongue.

If you want to pull the trailer with the '22 only then make the trailer pigtail change permanent. Or, cut the round connector off the trailer pigtail and replace it with a 5 wire flat connector. You would also need to replace the OEM trailer harness on the Spyder with one configured for 5 wires. Or another option would be to make a 4 to 5 wire adapter harness and replace the 9 pin trailer pigtail connector with it.

If you want to pull the trailer with the '14 only then do nothing.

Here are two BRP instructions for the pigtail change to go from the 6 (for 2010) wire system to the 4 wire bike connector. https://brp.my.salesforce-sites.com/...0000000dnvVCAQ. The pigtail listed in this instruction is a 4 wire so it would be for 2011 and later. The other instruction is https://brp.my.salesforce-sites.com/...0000000oSHBCA2. I believe this was the first instruction and is for the 2010 6 wire system. The part number for the pigtail is not listed but I think it is 710002029. However, that part apparently is not available anywhere now. It is shown in the first instruction. This the part number, I'm pretty sure, for the grounding harness. 219400537

To better understand the confusion and mess you are dealing with read these two forum threads from about 10 years ago. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...rvice-bulletin & https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-(2010)-Wiring.

Bert, apparently there was no specific USA variant (4 wire configuration) for the 2010 trailer lights. My diagram in post #10 is for the 2010. The pinout you list, and the one I show in post #13 is for 2011 and later.

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Idaho -- hmmm I thought my RT-622 was a 2010. I'll have to see what the various stickers say. Anyway it came with the USA variant of the 9-pin cable, the water tray and the grounding pigtail. The turn signal and backup lamp positions were blanked off (dummy bulb holders) on the light assemblies.

Anyway I'm changing my RT-622 to a AUS configuration. Easy except for activating the dummy bulb holders.

Your direct-to-Deutsch is a good solution except the DB6 connector is too large to fit within the trailer tongue without removing the coupler, easy to take apart tricky to reassemble. Running the cable outside the tongue would fix that.

WRT to rewiring the trailer to convert separate turn signals into combined turn/brake operation, no rewiring needed. Show Chrome has this 5-to-4 convertor that takes care of that https://www.lamonstergarage.com/5-to...ire-converter/

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    Idaho -- hmmm I thought my RT-622 was a 2010. I'll have to see what the various stickers say. Anyway it came with the USA variant of the 9-pin cable, the water tray and the grounding pigtail. The turn signal and backup lamp positions were blanked off (dummy bulb holders) on the light assemblies.]
    Did you buy it new or used? If used I think someone made changes to it from OEM configuration, including converting the lights to 4 wire. The parts diagram shows 2 flasher bulbs in each light assembly. For 2011 to 2014 the parts show one flasher bulb and one bulb (backup) in each light.

If the OP wants to go with 4 wire system maybe you and he can swap light assemblies.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    WRT to rewiring the trailer to convert separate turn signals into combined turn/brake operation, no rewiring needed. Show Chrome has this 5-to-4 convertor that takes care of that https://www.lamonstergarage.com/5-to...ire-converter/
    What I meant with the 4 to 5 converter is the reverse of the 5 to 4 you link to. I should have said 2 to 3 wire converter like this, https://www.amazon.com/RED-WOLF-Conv...s%2C183&sr=8-1. The ground and tail light wires go around the converter.
    With a 2 to 3 converter the OP could make an intermediate harness using a 4 pin connector that plugs into the '22 RT 4 pin and outputs a 5 wire configuration that goes into a 9 pin female connector like on his '14 RT. That way he wouldn't have to make changes on either the bike or trailer.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 03-27-2023 at 03:46 PM. Reason: should have been 2 to 3, not 4 to 5

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

53 -- here's what it takes for the 4-wire solution:

2022RT -- no changes needed

RT-622 -- replace the 9-pin pigtail to the DB6 connector with a 4-wire pigtail having the appropriate 4-pin plug/socket (I think it's a plug). Repinning the DB6 is very easy and I can mail you the pins which you can crimp with needle nose pliers. Connect the 4-pin White (Ground) into the DB6 Black position; Brown (Taillight) to the Orange position; Green (Right Turn/Brake) to the White position; and Yellow (Left Turn/Brake) to the White/Black position. The Pink and Brown/Pink positions will be empty. By position, I mean opposite to the trailer side of the DB6.

2014RT -- disassemble the left side cargo module to access the isolator module. Remove the screws holding the module in place. Fabricate a blank-off plate with a hole and grommet to fit the 9-pin pigtail (before modifications described below). Connect the 9-pin connector the the isolator module and tie-wrap them down. Feed the pigtail through the grommet and reassemble cargo module.

9-pin pigtail -- are there nine wires or six wires? If only six (most likely) you will need a SC's 5-4 convertor feeding a 4-pin connector (I believe socket). Or you could buy the J1939 cable from Amazon which has nine wires. If nine wires no convertor needed. Connect 9-pin Pin A to 4-pin White (Ground); Pin B to Brown (Taillight); Pin H to Green (Right Turn/Brake); and Pin J to Yellow (Left Turn/Brake).

Confirm connections with DVOM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Idaho -- yeah having those turn and backup sockets would really have been nice. I would have paid $50 each plus shipping for them. They're that much of a pain to activate.

The 2-to-3 wire module is kinda cool using AND logic. Placing it after the 2022RT isolator module provides overcurrent circuit protection. Very nice.

WRT 9-pin isolator module reliability, I think there were two issues: the ground connection on the trailer and the 9-pin connector's exposure to road hazards.

53 -- as you contemplate the above options, my (and I believe Idaho's) recommendation for both ease of effort and riding safety reasons is to retain the dual amber turn signals on the trailer and modify your 2022RT to a 5-wire (separate turn signals, no backup) configuration which already matches your trailer. Parts needed: 2-to-3 wire module and J1939 cable.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i cut the nine wire plug off found ground got battery found out what wire did what and connected a five wire plug all good