Spyder Garage

Default Short jaunt around the lake

For the first time in a good while, I felt like getting out late in the day. I'm still battling postherpetic neuralgia (residual condition of shingles) that's had me pretty much side-lined late in the day most of the time since last July. Yesterday was the best I've felt in a very long time, so I got out for a short ride around Lake Meredith in the Texas Panhandle where I live. I took the good cameras just in case I saw some critters and maybe a good sunset. I was lucky enough to get both on this very short ride.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Nice ride. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Forgive me for going off topic. Hope you are feeling better more often. My father had shingles on his face and it was horrible. I have been thinking of getting the shingles shot.
    Wonder how many members got the shot.
    2015 F3S SE6

Spyder Garage

I would highly recommend everyone getting the shingles vaccine. Mine began last Memorial Day with what I thought was a spider bite just behind my right arm pit. As the rash began to spread, we still thought it was showing the symptoms of a spider bite so was treating it as such. By the time I realized it might be shingles, it had developed into a horrible rash that looked like second degree burns wrapping around my body from the center of my chest to the middle of my back in a ~9" strip. That started clearing up after about six weeks of total bed rest sleeping on ice packs. I had maybe three days of a little relief when the postherpetic neuralgia set in and rapidly became more intense and painful than the shingles in all the spots where rash had been. After 8 months of that, I'm now getting some relief with prescribed drugs. ice packs, and at least two Epsom salt baths a day.

The only positive that came out of the ordeal is that I have lost 43 pounds (and counting) due to certain foods making the neuralgia worse. I eat mostly oatmeal or dry unsugared cereals with raisins, craisins, and other dried fruits. Due to the locations of the pain, I have a lot of trouble being in a car so it's Spyder or motorcycle rides and bicycle rides now-a-days.
    Last edited by cruisinTX; 03-26-2023 at 11:37 AM.

Spyder Garage

Pleased you got out and about. Sounds nasty.

FWIW I was at the Doc's and waiting my turn out front December last year.

There was info stuff in reception on the wall regarding health leaflets, I grabbed a couple and had a read.

I read up one about the Shingles. Crikey!. I had no idea.

I mentioned it when I was in there and the result was I got the jab, well two jabs spaced out about 3 months apart.
    They used an itty bitty needle and ok it was a little tender for a few days. But OK.

I totally agree with ya there.

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    I would highly recommend everyone getting the shingles vaccine.
    Aye no brainer, get the jab.

Spyder Garage

Ya, even our small-town pharmacist here says to get it but in the next breath said there was no way in #3ll he would take the experimental one being pushed on everyone.

Spyder Garage

Personal choice re any vaccine I guess.

I saw that bit about the Chicken pox...Which I have had.
    After a person recovers from chickenpox, the virus stays dormant (inactive) in their body.
    The virus can reactivate later, causing shingles.

Your description of your suffering is not what I would label a fun time.
    ---------

Not at all wanting to get into a debate about Vaccines. Its one ugly big can of worms.

Enjoy your rides.

Spyder Garage

My husband came up with the shingles when he was 73 back in 2010. Was pretty much in the same area as yours. They gave him some kind of med right away and it shortened the lifespan of the bubbles/oozing somewhat. Bathed it with calamine lotion twice a day. It was nasty, nasty, gross-looking stuff. He didn’t have the lasting neuralgic pain as lots of people do. We wondered if that was due to the shot they gave him so quickly.. I guess some kind of anti-viral shot.

I refused to get the vaccine until recently and decided to go ahead with the Shingrix shots (2, spaced apart) as I don’t have anyone left to come to my rescue or assistance .. LOL!! Yes my arm was sore a little for a couple of days but I felt that was better than risking the shingles. I have 4 little dogs to care for and they need their mama 24/7/365.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...