Spyder Garage

Default 2017 RT Battery Replaced - now to fit the accessories

I hope I do this OK. My 2017 RT-S was bought fall of 2016. I kept the battery on a tender. I have 29,000 miles on the bike now & no problems 'til this past 2022, when it would start, but when cold it cranked slow, but still started. When cold, if I wanted the bike out of the garage, I would just release the brake and push it out. Then later this winter, the parking brake would release but would not set unless I started the engine, then it would set. Battery load tested OK, but it is old, and I have read posts on here about the battery, so I got a new one from Amazon - AGM. I charged it and installed it, got the hold down in on the second try, engine spins over fast now and the brake works, but it is a little warmer, and I do think it was time for a new battery!!!
    I am not good at this, so I do not know how to put on the accessories I have, and my spelling sucks.

Dolittle
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-25-2023 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Removed Prefix - not a Review; & expanded the title to briefly state the reason for the thread... ;-)

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Battery

It seems like you're able to get a Battery replacement done.
    That sounds like a great thing to me.
    If you enjoy your Spyder Ryde Times that's wonderful.
    I have been doing some things but as I get older I am limited to what I can do now.

Stay Healthy and Enjoy Your Life. .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dolittle View Post
    I hope I do this OK. My 2017 RT-S was bought fall of 2016. I kept the battery on a tender. I have 29,000 miles on the bike now & no problems 'til this past 2022, when it would start, but when cold it cranked slow, but still started. When cold, if I wanted the bike out of the garage, I would just release the brake and push it out. Then later this winter, the parking brake would release but would not set unless I started the engine, then it would set. Battery load tested OK, but it is old, and I have read posts on here about the battery, so I got a new one from Amazon - AGM. I charged it and installed it, got the hold down in on the second try, engine spins over fast now and the brake works, but it is a little warmer, and I do think it was time for a new battery!!!
    I am not good at this, so I do not know how to put on the accessories I have, and my spelling sucks.

Dolittle
    Doolittle, you are a better man than me. I replaced my battery fall a year ago, and I fought my hold down for the batter part of an hour and gave up. To add insult to injury, the battery died on the morning that my wife and I were going to ride down to Wimberly TX from Austin. Imagine me trying to explain to my wife that I didn't know the battery was dead until I tried to start the Spyder and then she wanted to know why didn't I check the Spyder the day before to make sure all was well so that we could take off bright and early. Lucky me, I was able to get a battery that day (Saturday) from Batteries Plus of all places, the bike fired up and we went on our merry way. Although I have yet to hear the end of it.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dolittle View Post
    I hope I do this OK. My 2017 RT-S was bought fall of 2016. I kept the battery on a tender. I have 29,000 miles on the bike now & no problems 'til this past 2022, when it would start, but when cold it cranked slow, but still started. .....
    It's that bit that can catch you out dolittle, especially if you aren't riding your bike regularly!

You really shouldn't put your battery on a battery tender if you're going to ride your bike within the next week or so, or you risk taking it off the tender and being able to start when you're at home, but then finding out the battery is really toast later on that day when you're 100 miles or so away from home when it fails!! And as oldguy discovered, it always pays to take it off the tender a day or so before you want to use it again. Sure, that way you might still be caught with a dead battery when you do go to use it, but at least you're home & you might be able to do something about it!!

By leaving it for at least a week
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    It's that bit that can catch you out dolittle, especially if you aren't riding your bike regularly!

You really shouldn't put your battery on a battery tender if you're going to ride your bike within the next week or so, or you risk taking it off the tender and being able to start when you're at home, but then finding out the battery is really toast later on that day when you're 100 miles or so away from home when it fails!! And as oldguy discovered, it always pays to take it off the tender a day or so before you want to use it again. Sure, that way you might still be caught with a dead battery when you do go to use it, but at least you're home & you might be able to do something about it!!

By leaving it for at least a week
    Hahaha……yep…….as Oldguy AND ME discovered, Peter. I now only put the RT on the tender if it is going to sit for a couple of weeks……and never before an overnight trip. It’s working well so far …….ooooops, I probably shouldn’t have written that

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I replaced my battery last fall even though I was not having any problems starting the Spyder. The battery was 5 years old or older, cause you don't know how long the battery sat on the shelf somewhere. I think 5 years is about as long I'd go on a motorcycle battery before replacing it. Just my 2 cents.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

Default Lucky I guess ...

I sold my 2016 F3L a couple of weeks ago and it still had the original battery in it ... I guess I was just lucky.

The 2014 RTS had the OEM battery replaced in October 2021.

I cross my fingers that my new to me 2020 RTL will last a long time also.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    I replaced my battery last fall even though I was not having any problems starting the Spyder. The battery was 5 years old or older, cause you don't know how long the battery sat on the shelf somewhere. I think 5 years is about as long I'd go on a motorcycle battery before replacing it. Just my 2 cents.
    Im with you, but my bike is only 9months and came with a china battery and im seriously thinking about replacing it soon before it do some funny things in middle nowhere.