Spyder Garage

Default Customer Accessory Circuit completely DEAD! Any thoughts?

Got a weird one here. I have had this bike since new and have the Signature Light installed via the front accessory circuit under the frunk tub. Has worked fine for 7yrs. Found it not working the other day and in testing, there is NO voltage in this circuit. Not just on the downstream side of the fuse but completely dead. No power at either side of the fuse.

My heated grips have also stopped working. ALL FUSES are good! I cannot find any material that is clear and concise on the relay(s) situation. Including the load shedding relay... I am going to see if there are any identical relays I can swap around for testing next but thought I would drop a line here for additional info....

Thoughts?

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did you check for power with key on and RUNNING, some power sources need ENGINE RUNNING to initiate power. Just a thought from previous encounters.
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knizar View Post
    Did you check for power with key on and RUNNING, some power sources need ENGINE RUNNING to initiate power. Just a thought from previous encounters.
    Oh yeah... I worked as a paid automotive tech for 22yrs before hanging it up... I have rewired the Sig Light on the GPS circuit te get it working but need to understand how the circuit went completely dead! I have yet to dive into the heated grips as I need a better understanding of what relays control what including the "shedding" relay....

Chuck

Spyder Garage

OK, the weird just got weirder! I switched the relays around with other identical ones and VOILA! The circuit is live again AND the circuit that I took the relay FROM is still working with the relay from the accessories circuit!! WTF!?

Chuck

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
    OK, the weird just got weirder! I switched the relays around with other identical ones and VOILA! The circuit is live again AND the circuit that I took the relay FROM is still working with the relay from the accessories circuit!! WTF!?
    " WTF "....exactly ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

The relay was stuck. Moving it around and the off/on a few times broke it loose, and it started working right again. Relay plunger might have some corrosion or dust.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    The relay was stuck. Moving it around and the off/on a few times broke it loose, and it started working right again. Relay plunger might have some corrosion or dust.
    Seen it many times.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    Seen it many times.
    Normally I would agree, but these things are smaller than the average relay and very stout in nature. There is NO flex in these things at all... Yes I have seen it before in all my years but that was on the larger less compact automotive units... OH well, it is what it is I guess. I have some new ones coming for spares... ON WITH THE RYDING!

Chuck

Spyder Garage

Normally I would agree, but these things are smaller than the average relay and very stout in nature. There is NO flex in these things at all... Yes I have seen it before in all my years but that was on the larger less compact automotive units... OH well, it is what it is I guess. I have some new ones coming for spares... ON WITH THE RYDING!
    Doesn't really have to be on a plunger shaft. The older ones might have pitted contact surfaces. Possible something got between the contact points and held them off enough to prevent power from passing through them. Even the sub-compact solenoids have contacts.

Ants love electricity. Not sure why, because it fries them between the contacts. Lost count of how many times I have had to clean the ants out of pump pressure switch contacts.

Could have been just some pitting on the contacts. No way to know for sure (unless maybe you take the relay apart when you replace it).

Old points and condenser ignition it would almost certainly be pitting......... Spyder ignition, not so much, but still a possibility.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver