Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default What things need to be done to a new machine?

Hello All.
    Picking up my new RT this weekend. I have had many 2-wheeled machines, this is the first 3-wheeler for me beside the offroad type. Is there anything I need to do besides the norm that I should do before my first ride? I know the dealers forget to do some things. Also, what are some good necessities to carry on the machine since I have a little storage. I plan to have a small socket and screwdriver set, and a tire repair kit.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-23-2023 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Removed Prefix - this is not a HowTo: DIY thread... & expanded title to briefly ask the question ;-)

Spyder Garage

Based on the recommendation of a Spyder owner from Canada who I met at SpyderQuest last Sept. I purchased the Kobalt 35-Piece Standard (SAE) and Metric Combination Polished Chrome Mechanics Tool Set with Hard Case from Lowes. It has every size socket and bit to remove all the panels from my Spyder. It cost about $20
    Current: 2022 RTL SE6 Red Marsala and 2012 622 Trailer Lava Bronze,
    Previous: 2014 RTL SE6 Black Currant - 58,746 miles,
    2012 RTL SE5 Lava Bronze - 19,675 miles

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

FIRST and foremost, Get all your exterior painted areas protected with some kind of protection if you want to keep it looking new. The paint on these machines is extremely soft! (nothing like your auto finish). I kick myself every time I look at mine because of the bug stains etched into the paint. Maybe it's only my Marsala Red! Honey bees and grasshoppers will wreck the finish. "Trust Me, I Know" ...Bill
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knizar View Post
    FIRST and foremost, Get all your exterior painted areas protected with some kind of protection if you want to keep it looking new. The paint on these machines is extremely soft! (nothing like your auto finish). I kick myself every time I look at mine because of the bug stains etched into the paint. Maybe it's only my Marsala Red! Honey bees and grasshoppers will wreck the finish. "Trust Me, I Know" ...Bill
    petrol blue is just as bad, love bugs ruined my spyder

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

ride and enjoy it for awhile look at others to decide what you want to add or upgrade where are you in indiana

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LongIsland View Post
    Based on the recommendation of a Spyder owner from Canada who I met at SpyderQuest last Sept. I purchased the Kobalt 35-Piece Standard (SAE) and Metric Combination Polished Chrome Mechanics Tool Set with Hard Case from Lowes. It has every size socket and bit to remove all the panels from my Spyder. It cost about $20
    I'm a guy , so I'm all for having tools. However with limited space you only NEED tools for the types of things you can do ON THE ROAD. Decide what's possible to repair, and then carry the tool / tools you need to accomplish it. .... JMHO .... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Go over the whole machine checking fasteners for tightness. Any fasteners that are obviously loose, fix them. Any that are missing, replace them. Check behind the dealer all fluid levels. It is not unusual to find loose or missing fasteners on a brand new machine. Get a good coat of some kind of protective finish on it, and do at least a 500 mile break in period.

Some say you don't need the break in on the modern machines, but it can't hurt to do one. Run at least 500 miles, not necessarily all at one time. Keep it down below about 4200 RPMs and vary the speed a lot. Don't hold any one RPM for very long. Starts and stops, shifting calmly through the gears, slow to 45 MPH for a while, then run 60 MPH a while. Just vary the speeds.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by iceman4226 View Post
    Hello All.
    Picking up my new RT this weekend. I have had many 2-wheeled machines, this is the first 3-wheeler for me beside the offroad type. Is there anything I need to do besides the norm that I should do before my first ride? I know the dealers forget to do some things. Also, what are some good necessities to carry on the machine since I have a little storage. I plan to have a small socket and screwdriver set, and a tire repair kit.
    The best thing to do is hop on it and ride-ride-ride. it does NOT ride or handle like a bike no counter steering needed, don't try. Just get used to it
    after a while you will love it .

Spyder Garage

Ride it and when the crap Kenda tires are worn put real tires on it.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knizar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SLICE View Post
    petrol blue is just as bad, love bugs ruined my spyder
    Guys, get you a mini polisher and polish those etches right out. It's not that hard.

Then like others have said, coat it with ceramic or graphene (I use the new Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions graphene products) and you won't ever have this problem again. The newer Spyder's paint is hella soft for sure!
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Verify your front tire pressures are within 1/2 lb psi of each other.
    If not a Limited, pump rear shock bladder to ~50lb to start. adjust to your liking after some miles.
    After a short ride forward, check belt position on rear sprocket. S/B ~ 1 credit card gap from inner flange.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

bloomington

Spyder Garage

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I have been riding motorcycles for over 60 years including Spyders for the last 4 years after Covid took much of my leg strength away. I can tell you with all candor that there is an immense amount of good information on this site but there is also lots of opinions that may be inaccurate or unnecessary. What you need to do is RIDE THE DAM THING. Then you can make up your own mind about what changes if any you want to make.
    Bartender
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by iceman4226 View Post
    bloomington
    I am in Bloomington also … we are members of the Brickyard Chapter of USSR.

We would love to have someone local to ride with if you are interested. PM me if interested and we can exchange info.

Oh yeah … post pics of your new ride when you get it.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

And

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Dealers have frequently not connected the small link that goes between the swing arm and the level sensor that tells the air system to add or release air from the air bag. A friend bought a new 22 RTL from a dealer in Bonita Springs Florida about 3 weeks ago. I was aware of this common oversight so I took a picture of the link (not connected to the swing arm) and showed it to the salesman. He assured us that he would make sure that the service department connected this when they did the PDI the next day. Guess what???? The link did not get connected during the PDI and my friend didn't check it. I took another picture. The dealer sent a flatbed truck to pick up the Spyder for repair. A day later they delivered it back to my friend. STILL NOT COMMECTED! I sent the picture to the service adviser and explained what the link was for. They sent a senior tech to my friends house and he finally connected the little link. I think its a 10MM bolt. He explained that they use very junior (cheap) techs to uncrate and assemble new machines. I suggested that maybe a senior tech should check the junior tech's work. The attached picture is upside down and I can't fix it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2021 Spyder RTL chalk/black/chrome bought in March 21. Previous rides: 2019 Spyder RTL, Orange/chrome. 2015 Harley Heritage, 2002 Harley Heritage, 77 Harley Electra Glide, 75 Harley Electra Glide, 72 Harley Sportster (first bike bought new)
    My Spyder Mods
    Rider backrest, F&R cup holders; F3 handlebars; BRP LED driving light; LaMonster front fender and mirror turn signals, LaMonster Saddlebag lights, Auxito LED rear turn signal blubs w/ built in load resistor; Brake lite modulator/flasher; LaMonster flags on trunk; Garmin Zumo XT. LaMonster Bluetooth adapter for Phone & GPS through Spyder speakers. LaMonster floorboard risers; FOBO tire pressure monitors, Vredestein front and rear tires; BajaRon sway bar.

Spyder Garage

Imho you should travel with her to see what you need
    For sure your Spyder is happy being like that so the question is what are you looking for?
    2018 Spyder F3 Ltd
    2018 F3 Ltd. , Black/Dark

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The TITLE summarizes your question...”WHAT THINGS NEED TO BE DONE TO A NEW MACHINE”. The long and short of it is “NOTHING”. Nothing NEEDS ro be done. The machine is “just fine” the way it is. I went a year before I started adding anything (other than the drivers backrest, which I NEEDED, not the machine). Start riding it yourself, and YOU DECIDE what it NEEDS for your enjoyment. just my $0.02 worth.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

I never understood how one can know what their tire pressure is, without hiring an independent lab that has scientifically calibrated equipment. Go buy 10 different pressure gauges, and you’ll get 10 different readings. There’s no way to tell which one is correct. I’m not blasting you, @RayBJ, as you are correct. I’m just wondering how does one measure the true air pressure in their tires?
    ~~2010 RS SE5 My first Spidey, but not my first ride~~

The trigger’s been pulled. We have to
    get there before the hammer falls.

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DaniBoy View Post
    I never understood how one can know what their tire pressure is, without hiring an independent lab that has scientifically calibrated equipment. Go buy 10 different pressure gauges, and you’ll get 10 different readings. There’s no way to tell which one is correct. I’m not blasting you, @RayBJ, as you are correct. I’m just wondering how does one measure the true air pressure in their tires?
    It really doesn’t make much difference as to what the “true” tire pressure is, as long as you use the same pressure gauge when checking your left front and your right front tires and keeping them as close as possible to the same reading. As for the overall pressure, the majority of gauges are close to each other (usually within a pound or two).
    Last edited by bigbadbrucie; 03-26-2023 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Spelling

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    It really doesn’t make much difference as to what the “true” tire pressure is, as long as you use the same pressure gauge when checking your left front and your right front tires and keeping them as close as possible to the same reading. As for the overall pressure, the majority of gauges are close to each other (usually within a pound or two).
    Exactly why I didn't state the actual pressures. The key is to have the front tires as close as reasonable (1/2lb) to each other. A digital gauge works best for me.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I didn't think I had anything to add to this thread and then I remembered this https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-That-Aligment!!!

Get your alignment checked and laser corrected. It is frequently out of spec on new machines.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    Ride it and when the crap Kenda tires are worn put real tires on it.
    What brand do you recommend?

Peoples Republic of Calif. Upper Mojave Desert
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JohnWJ View Post
    What brand do you recommend?
    There are a dozen threads on tires........
    2021 RT LT