Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Anything different in 2021 Rear Wheel Removal?

I had a 2015 and 2019 Can Am Spyder's. I always did my own tire replacement. I now have a 2021 Rt that is due for a new rear tire. Is there anything different in removing the rear tire on this 2021? I can't find anything showing the removing of the rear wheel on the 2021 on YouTube.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-22-2023 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

no it is the same

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is the roller on the belt any problem? Can it be tied up of the belt?
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No problem, just make sure it's back where it should be when you're done.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-22-2023 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Caps & it's ;-)

Spyder Garage

my experience.... Loosen the axle nut before jacking it up off the ground. Remove the lower bolt from the small dogbone link that connects the swing arm to the bike "level sensor" that controls the air bag. Follow You Tube videos for disconnecting the parking brake cable and loosening the rear brake caliper. Jack the rear of the Spyder way up in the air so you can get the wheel out. Remove the lower shock bolt and lower the swing arm way down. Pull the axle out and slide the tire out. I may have left something out, but this was over a year ago.
    2021 Spyder RTL chalk/black/chrome bought in March 21. Previous rides: 2019 Spyder RTL, Orange/chrome. 2015 Harley Heritage, 2002 Harley Heritage, 77 Harley Electra Glide, 75 Harley Electra Glide, 72 Harley Sportster (first bike bought new)
    My Spyder Mods
    Rider backrest, F&R cup holders; F3 handlebars; BRP LED driving light; LaMonster front fender and mirror turn signals, LaMonster Saddlebag lights, Auxito LED rear turn signal blubs w/ built in load resistor; Brake lite modulator/flasher; LaMonster flags on trunk; Garmin Zumo XT. LaMonster Bluetooth adapter for Phone & GPS through Spyder speakers. LaMonster floorboard risers; FOBO tire pressure monitors, Vredestein front and rear tires; BajaRon sway bar.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

On my 19 I never had to remove the Shock.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gerald37 View Post
    Is the above a typo, Gerald? i.e. did you mean to type “Shock bolt”, or did you misread WDAVEY’s comment to remove the shock bolt, not the entire shock? Removing the shock bolt just makes keeping the current belt tension and alignment easier.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Is the above a typo, Gerald? i.e. did you mean to type “Shock bolt”, or did you misread WDAVEY’s comment to remove the shock bolt, not the entire shock? Removing the shock bolt just makes keeping the current belt tension and alignment easier.

Pete
    Are you saying you can remove the rear wheel without having to mess with alignment or belt tension on the 20 & up models ?
    2022 Spyder RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have replaced two rear tires; 1 on the 2020RTL, and 1 on a 2021RTL. Nether had a belt vibration pulley on them. I never took out any shock bolt or air bag leveling connector bolt. I do remove the muffler for better access to the rear brake caliper. I remove the brake caliper, loosen the axle bolt, jack it up, turn the tire to get the drive belt off, remove the axle, raise the rear up & pullout the tire assembly. Reverse the procedure with a new tire. NEVER touched the axle cap tension bolts. Trick is to keep the axle tension adjuster caps tight to the axle. . Bill
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rick28 View Post
    Are you saying you can remove the rear wheel without having to mess with alignment or belt tension on the 20 & up models ?
    Yes……but you can do it with the earlier models too, Rick. Removing the bottom shock bolt just makes the belt easier to get off. Tape over the adjusters to stop them from moving as a precaution. That’s what I did when I replaced my rear tyre on my ‘16 F3-L. Haven’t done the ‘21 RT yet. It might go to a 3rd party as bad knees these days really make getting up and down under the Spyder difficult.

But as Bill says, you really don’t even have to remove the shock bolt, as long as your belt isn’t too tight.

Pete
    Last edited by Peteoz; 03-27-2023 at 01:45 AM.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gerald37 View Post
    Gerald, I'll make this answer as simple as possible and you won't need to over think this one, it has not changed a bit and if you have done it before and the bike is set up the same way go for it. If you had the dampener on your other bike then you know you'll have to tie it up out of the way!!! Good Luck!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes, I meant Shock bolt. I don't remember removing the shock bolt, but I will if it helps. Everything looks about the same. Thanks for all the information.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-27-2023 at 07:49 PM. Reason: met - meant ;-)
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS