Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Want to get new front tires, not sure what to get? 2021 RTL

I've got a vibration in the handle bars. I know many others have this problem. I talked to the dealer that sold me the spyder and they told me the warranty on the tires is 6 months from when you buy. It's been almost two years. They also told me that the Kenda's are not a problem and they would need to balance, at my cost. Well... I know deep subject. Anyway, I have read here about going to car tires. I am seriously thinking of that, my problem starts at 65mph with a vibration, If I remove one hand the bars will go back and forth about 1 inch. I don't think this is right. My big question is what tire? there is the verditines. sorry spelling and the cumo. The size of the tire is another thing, a direct replacement of the kenda's is not available. I have 165/55R15 right now. What is the best size for my 2021. Believe this also, this dealer told me that to watch when buying tires on line, he has seen production dates on the tires that are 5 years old being sold and he said he has seen flat spots and made it hard to balance. He said they would put the tires on but it would be 65 dollars per front tire. I thought that was a bit much. So lets hear what the proper size and type of tire to give a nice smooth operation at speeds over 65mph and will handle real nice please. I know there has been many post on this, I'm sorry I'm bringing this up. but I want a good dealer to buy the tires from and the proper tire size and type please.

Spyder Garage

Kenda tires are sometimes 'out of round' and can't be properly balanced. When you switch to the car tires, balancing, if needed, will be far easier.
    Your dealer is a rip-off! Swapping both front tires shouldn't cost more than $100 (and even that is a bit high).
    I've used Tire Rack for 3 sets of tires so far and all have been fresh (recent dates).
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

https://www.prioritytire.com/shop/?sizeAll=165%2F65R15 I bought these haven't installed yet.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by slyfox View Post
    I've got a vibration in the handle bars. I know many others have this problem. I talked to the dealer that sold me the spyder and they told me the warranty on the tires is 6 months from when you buy. It's been almost two years. They also told me that the Kenda's are not a problem and they would need to balance, at my cost. Well... I know deep subject. Anyway, I have read here about going to car tires. I am seriously thinking of that, my problem starts at 65mph with a vibration, If I remove one hand the bars will go back and forth about 1 inch. I don't think this is right. My big question is what tire? there is the verditines. sorry spelling and the cumo. The size of the tire is another thing, a direct replacement of the kenda's is not available. I have 165/55R15 right now. What is the best size for my 2021. Believe this also, this dealer told me that to watch when buying tires on line, he has seen production dates on the tires that are 5 years old being sold and he said he has seen flat spots and made it hard to balance. He said they would put the tires on but it would be 65 dollars per front tire. I thought that was a bit much. So lets hear what the proper size and type of tire to give a nice smooth operation at speeds over 65mph and will handle real nice please. I know there has been many post on this, I'm sorry I'm bringing this up. but I want a good dealer to buy the tires from and the proper tire size and type please.
    " online ".... if it's some OFF-brand tires from some sellers you might get some Old stock ..... buy I seriously doubt tires from any Major on-line seller ( like tire rack, discount tire, Walmart , Costco etc ) would be selling them ..... Vredestein Quatrac is IMO the top of the line, however if your going from any Kenda tire, to an auto tire all of the name brands will work. Check my past recent posts for the size and brand info ....... PS if you order " on-line " DO NOT ask them any tire info or tell them WHAT you are mounting them on..... they won't sell you an AUTO tire for a Spyder ( it's not legal )..... good luck .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-22-2023 at 10:54 AM.

Spyder Garage

thank you, I was thinking of the tire rack. Now I need the type and size of tire for my 2021 rtl. thanks

Spyder Garage

I like this one: 165/60R-15 VREDESTEIN QUATRAC SL for the fronts.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

thank you helps a bunch.

Spyder Garage

Heres a link https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...R5QT&tab=Sizes

I just put these on mine also.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    Heres a link https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...R5QT&tab=Sizes

I just put these on mine also.
    that's what I came up with. thanks

Spyder Garage

Sorry for what is probably a dumb question... but if you change from 165/55 to 165/60 tires, the 60's are a little taller right (by 5%). Does that require any change to things like the fender, or does the speed now register differently, or anything?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Two2Three View Post
    Sorry for what is probably a dumb question... but if you change from 165/55 to 165/60 tires, the 60's are a little taller right (by 5%). Does that require any change to things like the fender, or does the speed now register differently, or anything?
    Speed comes off of the rear tire. They will fit the fenders just fine.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Speed is read at the rear tire so changing size of the front has no effect on speedometer. I've got 175/55 on the front and they fit nicely under the fender.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

OK, I got my tires - 165/60R-15 VREDESTEIN QUATRAC from the Tire Rack and the date said 36th week of 2022. I removed the tires and took them to Discount tire. They mounted and balanced the new tires for $47 with tax. I am very happy with them, no more vibration after 65mph, had it up to 80mph and still very nice. There is no more tracking all over the road, it's very stable, and there's no pull to the right. This is what the Spyder should operate like when new. Very disappointed in BRP for installing junk tires.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-13-2023 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They gotta be good, only 4 left in stock. My next 'go to' tire.

Spyder Garage

Thanks.
    So if you go with these, what would the appropriate rear tire be then? i.e., If you go from 165/55 to 165/60, should the rear tire change to 225/55 for the same increase?

Spyder Garage

Ordering these for my 2020 F3L this week, 2500 miles on OEM tires. Bike tracks perfect, but has a 1/4 in. handle bar wobble... Put it on cruise control, no hands, goes straight as can be, but tire wobble.... Never noticed it before, must have gotten worse with 2500 miles on OEM tires... I'm going with the 165/60/15's or the 175/55/15's... not sure.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-14-2023 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)
    2020 F3 limited, liquid titanium
    grip puppies
    Bajaron sway bar
    lamonster belt dampener
    battery tender
    19 in freedom tinted windshield
    matte black daytona frunk wrap
    Quadtrac 165/60's

Spyder Garage

These seem to be working well for me.

ku 1 20220615_154714.jpg

Spyder Garage

SLYFOX, 16-17 PSI in those front QUATRAC,s

T.P.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Two2Three View Post
    Thanks.
    So if you go with these, what would the appropriate rear tire be then? i.e., If you go from 165/55 to 165/60, should the rear tire change to 225/55 for the same increase?
    Size ... Brand .... Tread ...etc. makes no difference .... if it fits - it will be fine ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Size ... Brand .... Tread ...etc. makes no difference .... if it fits - it will be fine ..... Mike
    - Just so long as it's NOT an OE Spec Kenda!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by T.P. View Post
    SLYFOX, 16-17 PSI in those front QUATRAC,s

T.P.
    put em to 18

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Aren't those you've linked & compared 16" tires wyo??

I'm reasonably sure that all the Spyders are still running 15" tires, it's only the 'non-Rally' Rykers that've gone to the next size up. The differences between the two sizes will probably be pretty close to the same percentages shown; but still, those 16" tires won't fit on a Spyder's 15" rims.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-15-2023 at 09:49 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just put new Continentals on the front of my F3S, I had Michelins on my other Spyder GS
    however I think the Conti's handle and ride better... Don't need rear yet so I am looking

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by slyfox View Post
    OK, I got my tires - 165/60R-15 VREDESTEIN QUATRAC from the Tire Rack and the date said 36th week of 2022. I removed the tires and took them to Discount tire. They mounted and balanced the new tires for $47 with tax. I am very happy with them, no more vibration after 65mph, had it up to 80mph and still very nice. There is no more tracking all over the road, it's very stable, and there's no pull to the right. This is what the Spyder should operate like when new. Very disappointed in BRP for installing junk tires

Very disappointed in BRP for installing junk tires

~~~~can’t say I blame you, for being pissed about your tire issues. For what these machines cost new, the least your dealer and BRP can do is provide a set of tires that offer nothing but pure bliss, & for the record, the front Kendas on my 21’ RTL have absolutely no issues. I can run 90 down the interstate, set the cruise, and nary a flutter of any sort, she’s as stable as can be. 5500 miles on the ODO. Yeah, I need to ride more, no doubt

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    Even a blind squirrel 🐿️ finds a nut 🥜 every once in awhile
    2021 Can Am Spyder RT Limited
    2020 Rally , Black