Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Brake switch recall

I called my dealer last week to get the brake switch replaced under warranty on my 2021 RT and they did not have any in stock. I was told they needed to order one and they will call me when the part is in then I can make an appointment to get it replaced. So you may want to call your dealer to get your part ordered .

2017 F3 LTD (SOLD)
    2017 HD Freewheeler (SOLD)
    2021 RT Base Upper and lower adjustable deflectors , Top case, Signature and lower lights, Baja Ron Bar, Back rest,Fobo TPMS, Garmin 396 , LED Fender lights, Rear LED turn and brake lights, Rear Brake light flasher, Rear Saddle bag LED lights, Battery tender, Lamonster Handle Bar Riser.

Spyder Garage

So just wondering....if the dealerships are receiving the new '23 Spyder's in as new inventory, and they have to do this recall fix in order to sell them....would these take priority over existing Spyder's already on the road?

Rob
    2020 Can-Am Ryker 600
    2021 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited
    2020 600 , Can Am White Design

Spyder Garage

2021 Spyder RT-LTD!! • There’s a New Bulletin Out! | TheSmoaks Vlog_2688. For what it's worth......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfVknA4xVVw
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Shaun talks about the recall. Scroll to the 7:12 part of the video:
    https://youtu.be/UfVknA4xVVw
    Looks like parts should be arriving around the April 1st timeframe.

Rob
    2020 Can-Am Ryker 600

Spyder Garage

Awaiting the switch on our new '23's, can't believe the new '23's had this issue. Watching everyone riding while our S2S and RT Limited are incarcerated..... C'mon BRP, if you are going to issue these Safety Warnings, at least ship them to the dealers first!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-29-2023 at 07:29 AM. Reason: STS - S2S (to avoid model confusion... ) ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderStro View Post
    Awaiting the switch on our new '23's, can't believe the new '23's had this issue. Watching everyone riding while our S2S and RT Limited are incarcerated..... C'mon BRP, if you are going to issue these Safety warnings, at least ship them to the dealers first!
    They have the issue because they are the same as the '22 models, no changes to '23's.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-29-2023 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)
    2022 Spyder RTL

Spyder Garage

22's and 23's are just getting a stiffer spring, I called my dealer and he told me off the record to just ride it so long as I'm not having any brake light issues.

Spyder Garage

Just called a semi-nearby dealer's service department and they have placed me on the order list, will call and text when they come in.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rap4th View Post
    Shaun talks about the recall. Scroll to the 7:12 part of the video:
    https://youtu.be/UfVknA4xVVw
    Looks like parts should be arriving around the April 1st timeframe.
    Rob
    Thanks for taking one for the team and watching the intro to find the time of the “brake light” mention, Rob……those intros drive me insane.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I contacted a dealer yesterday who wasn’t aware of the recall until I asked for an appointment .

This thing has been out for a couple of weeks now … surprised they didn’t know already.

He said the parts are on back order until 4/20/2023 and put me on the wait list.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Yeah, Taking My 21 RTL in Next week. Dealer Service said no part involved and wouldn't take long to repair? We'll see.
    [img]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Crewless View Post
    Yeah, Taking My 21 RTL in Next week. Dealer Service said no part involved and wouldn't take long to repair? We'll see.
    Crewless, it would be worthwhile double checking with your dealer. For the 20/21 models, there are definitely parts involved as part of the switch recall….I’d hate to see them make you leave your Spyder while they wait for a part……This is from BRP -

‘For MY20 and MY21 Spyder RT, the repair is to replace the brake light switch, adjust the brake light switch and to add a spring to the brake light switch. The procedure should take less than 2 hours”

Even the ‘22/‘23 models get a new spring.

Pete
    Last edited by Peteoz; 04-07-2023 at 04:03 PM.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Crewless, it would be worthwhile double checking with your dealer. For the 20/21 models, there are definitely parts involved as part of the switch recall….I’d hate to see them make you leave your Spyder while they wait for a part……This is from BRP -

‘For MY20 and MY21 Spyder RT, the repair is to replace the brake light switch, adjust the brake light switch and to add a spring to the brake light switch. The procedure should take less than 2 hours”

Even the ‘22/‘23 models get a new spring.

Pete
    What he said.

I called my dealer yesterday and they have switches and springs in stock. I'm not sure how they always seem to get parts first but they do. Mine goes in next week for the spring. While I wait of course. They told me it would take about 10 minutes.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

I agree with Peteoz & FrogmanDave

Spring and switch for the 20&21 models. Mine were ordered today as the dealer didn't have them in stock.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I got my 2022 RT Limited back on Tuesday, Dealer replaced the spring. I took it in for an oil change and to be checked over. I had 1,000 miles on it and wanted it changed before our trip the last of the month.

Willie

Spyder Garage

I bought a new switch and spring yesterday. My 2020RTL will be on the recall list, but I'm not wanting to wait, and I'll install it myself. I already had a switch fail last year, but that replacement switch was not the same as this new one. Depending on your model year and vin number you may need to just have the spring added; or need the switch and spring. This is an additional spring where there is not one now. It's actually very weak; not sure what's its going to do. If your bike only needs the spring, it should only take a few minutes. If you need the switch, plan on the 2 hours. The switch can be accessed from below, but they tie-wrapped the wiring up behind the lower sidewall panel. That has to be removed to cut the tie-wrap and reach the connector. These are made in Poland, by the way. Perhaps that explains the shipping delays. See part number in photo below.

switch.jpg switch box.jpg
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks very much for the update and part numbers, Jetfixer

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

I replaced my brake light switch today with the new one that complies with the recall. I also added the new spring that was not used prior to the recall. I may or may not be able to get my dealer to sign off on the recall since I did this myself. That doesn't concern me; I know I now have the latest switch and spring to comply with the safety recall. If your bike only needs the spring added, this is a 10 minute job with no body panel removal required. You (the dealer) simply loosen one of the nuts from below and the switch drops right down. Remove both nuts, place the spring on the switch body, replace the nuts, put the switch in place and adjust, and it's done. If your bike requires both the switch and spring as did mine, you have quite a lot of body work that needs to be removed first. The wiring for the switch is tie-wrapped in 2 places that you cannot reach without removing the lower sidewall panel. Also, the connector for the switch has a lock that must be slid out of the way to disconnect it. Other than that, the procedure is the same, just more time consuming due to the bodywork. Photos below are before and after.

before.jpg after.jpg

If you have a real sharp eye, you'll notice I took advantage of the panel being removed to re-install that blasted top exhaust spring. It's been left off since I switched to the RLS Cat Delete months ago!!
    Last edited by Jetfixer; 04-13-2023 at 06:25 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    I replaced my brake light switch today with the new one that complies with the recall. I also added the new spring that was not used prior to the recall. I may or may not be able to get my dealer to sign off on the recall since I did this myself. That doesn't concern me; I know I now have the latest switch and spring to comply with the safety recall. If your bike only needs the spring added, this is a 10 minute job with no body panel removal required. You (the dealer) simply loosen one of the nuts from below and the switch drops right down. Remove both nuts, place the spring on the switch body, replace the nuts, put the switch in place and adjust, and it's done. If your bike requires both the switch and spring as did mine, you have quite a lot of body work that needs to be removed first. The wiring for the switch is tie-wrapped in 2 places that you cannot reach without removing the lower sidewall panel. Also, the connector for the switch has a lock that must be slid out of the way to disconnect it. Other than that, the procedure is the same, just more time consuming due to the bodywork. Photos below are before and after.

before.jpg after.jpg

If you have a real sharp eye, you'll notice I took advantage of the panel being removed to re-install that blasted top exhaust spring. It's been left off since I switched to the RLS Cat Delete months ago!!
    How much tension does that new spring have.

I wish BRP offered an explanation as to how that spring helps keep the brake light from staying on.

Spyder Garage

The new additional spring is about a 2 or 3 pound pull. It's hard to visualize without seeing it in front of you, but when you step on the brakes, the original spring (the one on the left in my photos) pulls the switch plunger rearward. This additional spring is then compressed and assists the switch in relaxing when you release the brakes. If you look close you'll see that the switch has 4 wires. It is actually 2 switches in one housing. One set of contacts will turn on the brake lighting circuit, and the other set of contacts reports to the CANBUS that you have stepped on the brake. The system monitors this action. If you actuate the brake lights, the system is looking to see 500 psi of brake pressure build up in a certain amount of time. If you do not build that pressure or more after a set amount of time, the system will decide that you have a brake fault and will trigger Limp Home Mode. That is why Spyders are very unforgiving of people riding with their foot on the brake pedal. Apparently, this is also the reason for the recall. If the switch doesn't relax all the way, your brake lights will be on and yet you are not building brake pressure, yet you the driver have no way of knowing that this is what is happening. Limp Home Mode can cause a rapid slow down that "could" lead to a crash.

Spyder Garage

I got my spring replaced today. It took less than 10 minutes. It literally took 20 minutes from the time I pulled up to the dealer to the time I was pulling out of the lot. Keep in mind the 2022-23's only require the spring, not the entire switch.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    Keep in mind the 2022-23's only require the spring, not the entire switch.
    Yay! Now I just have to wait for my 2023 Spyder RT-L to come into the dealership and I should be good!! And it is the same color as yours FrogmanDave!!

Rob
    2020 Can-Am Ryker 600

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post

Yes, the ‘20+ RT is a great ride, Jetfixer, that is tempered somewhat by the amount of bodywork and floorboards that have to be removed to get at the guts.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder recall

CoachBob on You Tube started his video with an announcement of a Can Am Spyder recall, 2023-6, to fix a problem where the rear brake light would stay on even after you stop braking. According to what he announced, the recall will include my 2021 RT, but as of yet I have not received a recall letter. I was wondering if others have been so notified. FWIW, I repeatedly tried to see if my bike has the above mentioned problem, and was glad to see that whenever I lift my foot off the brake pedal, the brake light goes out, so all is well at least for now. I've had my RT now for just short of 2 years and have not had even the most minor issue arise. Everything on the bike has been working perfectly well so far, and for that I am quite happy.
    2021 Spyder RT
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    CoachBob on You Tube started his video with an announcement of a Can Am Spyder recall, 2023-6, to fix a problem where the rear brake light would stay on even after you stop braking. According to what he announced, the recall will include my 2021 RT, but as of yet I have not received a recall letter. I was wondering if others have been so notified. FWIW, I repeatedly tried to see if my bike has the above mentioned problem, and was glad to see that whenever I lift my foot off the brake pedal, the brake light goes out, so all is well at least for now. I've had my RT now for just short of 2 years and have not had even the most minor issue arise. Everything on the bike has been working perfectly well so far, and for that I am quite happy.
    Have you put your VIN into the recall page on the BRP website?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)