Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Is there a brake light recall now?

I've been hearing rumbles in some of the Facebook Spyder groups of a recall on Spyders due to a faulty brake light switch. Word is replacement parts won't be available until maybe April. Anyone else hearing about this?
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    I've been hearing rumbles in some of the Facebook Spyder groups of a recall on Spyders due to a faulty brake light switch. Word is replacement parts won't be available until maybe April. Anyone else hearing about this?
    The Brake Light Recall is both the Spyder and the Ryker.

The 2022 Base F3 and F3S are also on stop sell/recall due to mirrors possibly falling off. Ugh!

When in doubt - check the source. ;-) - https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/us/en...y-recalls.html
    Last edited by Jdr00ejr; 03-21-2023 at 07:46 PM.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jdr00ejr View Post
    The Brake Light Recall is the Ryker.

The 2022 Base F3 and F3S are also on stop sell/recall due to mirrors possibly falling off. Ugh!

When in doubt - check the source. ;-) - https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/us/en...y-recalls.html
    Did you read your source? Which models are involved?

All Can-Am® Spyder RT Model Year 2020 and 2021 vehicles

Certain Can-Am® Spyder RT Model Year 2022 and 2023 and Ryker Model Year 2022 and 2023 vehicles
    21 Spyder base F3

Spyder Garage

I just today went to my dealer to make an appointment to get my first service on our 2022 RT Limited. Service manager told me they would do the brake light switch recall while they had it in the shop. I think he said that it was just changing a spring so the switch would release when the brakes were released.

Willie

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Did you read your source? Which models are involved?

All Can-Am® Spyder RT Model Year 2020 and 2021 vehicles

Certain Can-Am® Spyder RT Model Year 2022 and 2023 and Ryker Model Year 2022 and 2023 vehicles
    Well don’t I have egg on my face. You are correct - I posted in a hurry and only glanced the headline on the Recall page - I didn’t open it. My bad for posting incorrect information. That’s why I say you should check the source. LOL!
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yep, took my 2021 RTL in for it's first 3000 mile service. The service manager told me about the recall and said he put me on the list for the switch once they come in. From what he told me, he had some customers that had dead batteries due to the brake light being left on. Nothing that happens too often, but it does happen.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Will we get something in the mail if our 22 RTL is part of this recall ? How are people finding out if they are affected ?
    2022 Spyder RTL

Spyder Garage

I had to replace the brake light switch on my 2020 RT last summer on my own dime. It caused the RT to go into limp mode frequently. It wasn't the spring. The internals of the switch had dead spots. As brake pedal was slowly pressed the lights would go on and off thru the full stroke and sometimes remain on with no pedal pressed. Switch costs ~$45.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rick28 View Post
    Will we get something in the mail if our 22 RTL is part of this recall ? How are people finding out if they are affected ?
    Assuming your Spyder is registered with Canam as you being the owner (if you bought it new it certainly should be) you SHOULD get a mailer. Should and do are not always the same though. On the link I posted earlier in the thread - you can put in your VIN number to see if your machine is specifically impacted. Pay attention to the "Date List Updated" that you will find on the results - because I've seen Canam add VINs in batches to recalls - so if the date last updated is a week or two old - you might check again in a few days.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

I received an email from my dealer where I have a deposit on a 2023 Spyder RT Limited that the Spyder was just delivered to them last night but they will have to wait for the part to come in to take care of the recall. So for now, my brand new Spyder RT will stay in its box until the parts come in.

Rob
    2020 Can-Am Ryker 600
    2021 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited
    2020 600 , Can Am White Design

Spyder Garage

this one shows' the difference between the 2 switches.. FF to 9:50
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP3I...TheSmoaksVlogs

Spyder Garage

When in doubt check the source indeed…….but when dealing with BRP, double check the source. Yet another “near enough is good enough” listing from BRP regarding the front sprocket. I thought I’d check the years the sprocket is affected. What does the BRP safety heading say ?

“Years - 2015, 2019” ……….”ahhhhh great…..my 2017 doesn’t have an issue…..on with life as I don’t have a sprocket issue”…..

…..but when you drill down into the detail, it does indeed say “Years - 2015-2019”. Yes, I know this is “petty” but to me it is pretty much a perfect example of BRP’s general attitude and lack of care to a “T”.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    I had to replace the brake light switch on my 2020 RT last summer on my own dime. It caused the RT to go into limp mode frequently. It wasn't the spring. The internals of the switch had dead spots. As brake pedal was slowly pressed the lights would go on and off thru the full stroke and sometimes remain on with no pedal pressed. Switch costs ~$45.
    The “spring only” replacement issue is for the 22, 23 models, Ray.

The switch replacement is for the 20, 21, along with spring replacement and adjustment. Looks like the 22, 23 models have the new switch

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

If the affected bike is "on hold" at the dealer, pending obtaining a brake light spring, is this just a BRP policy, or is it law?

Reason I ask, last week I bought a '22 from IMotorsports, and today am told its on hold. I want the dang thing now, not next April or May or whanever, and like other '22's on the road, can have it done at local dealer.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    If the affected bike is "on hold" at the dealer, pending obtaining a brake light spring, is this just a BRP policy, or is it law?

Reason I ask, last week I bought a '22 from IMotorsports, and today am told its on hold. I want the dang thing now, not next April or May or whanever, and like other '22's on the road, can have it done at local dealer.
    I'm not sure what the national and local laws would state on the matter - but fact is - BRP classified it as a "Safety Recall" not a TSB. As such - from a liability standpoint - they will not sell/release any machines under a safety recall. They won't risk being sued. So even if it is just a "BRP Policy" I can't see them making an exception. Opens them up to litigation.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

For Canadian Owners, there is no VIN Look-up, but there is a similar BRP website:

https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/ca/en...y-recalls.html
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky Mystery Blue
    2009 Suzuki Boulevard M50 SE

Spyder Garage

I'm not sure what the national and local laws would state on the matter - but fact is - BRP classified it as a "Safety Recall" not a TSB. As such - from a liability standpoint - they will not sell/release any machines under a safety recall. They won't risk being sued. So even if it is just a "BRP Policy" I can't see them making an exception. Opens them up to litigation.
    Understand; however, I paid in full, had all paperwork completed....it was/is my bike. Then the recall hit. I'm saying, I believe my bike should be delivered as agreed upon and I will have the recall done on my schedule. I'm waiting for a response from them.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Understand; however, I paid in full, had all paperwork completed....it was/is my bike. Then the recall hit. I'm saying, I believe my bike should be delivered as agreed upon and I will have the recall done on my schedule. I'm waiting for a response from them.
    And none of that will matter to your next of kin, after you get run over by a truck.

It's a NHTSA recall. Federally illegal to sell a NEW vehicle with an open recall. Used vehicles have a "loop-hole" in the law IF a dealership wants to use it. Paid for or not, the title isn't transferring and / or it's not leaving the dealership until the recall is completed. Chill. Use the extra time to buy farkles.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 03-24-2023 at 07:23 AM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    And none of that will matter to your next of kin, after you get run over by a truck.

It's a NHTSA recall. Federally illegal to sell a NEW vehicle with an open recall. Used vehicles have a "loop-hole" in the law IF a dealership wants to use it. Paid for or not, the title isn't transferring and / or it's not leaving the dealership until the recall is completed. Chill. Use the extra time to buy farkles.
    I believe you have hit the nail on the head sir.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    There's no place like G28 X0 Y0 Z0

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Here is the recall for the 2020 - 2023 Spyder RT and the 2022 - 2023 Rykers

March 17, 2023 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 23V175000
    Brake Light May Stay Illuminated
    Brake lights that remain illuminated can fail to alert other motorists of the rider's intention and increase the risk of a crash.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 23V175000

Manufacturer Bombardier Recreational Products, Inc.

Components EXTERIOR LIGHTING

Potential Number of Units Affected 34,457

Summary

Bombardier Recreational Products, Inc. (BRP) is recalling certain 2020-2023 Spyder RT and 2022-2023 Ryker motorcycles. The brake lights may stay illuminated even if the brake pedal is not pressed. As such, these motorcycles fail to comply with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard number 108, "Lamps, Reflective Devices, and associated Equipment."

Remedy

Depending on the model, dealers will replace the brake light switch, adjust the brake light switch, and/or add a spring to the brake light switch, as necessary, free of charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed April 18, 2023. Owners may contact BRP Customer Service at 1-888-272-9222. BRP's number for this recall is 2023-6.

Notes

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.nhtsa.gov.

6 Affected Products
    Vehicles
    MAKE MODEL YEAR

CAN-AM RYKER 2022-2023
    CAN-AM SPYDER RT 2020-2023
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Just put in my Vin and mines on the list, "F" ,now to find a dealer that I can trust, been down for almost 2 months with no riding and now maybe even longer
    Improvise, Adapt, Overcome, Semper Fi
    2020 RT
    Limited heated seats
    removable back rest & rack
    XK Glow light
    Paint with light painted panels
    (Gone but not forgotten ) 2009 RS SE5
    2020 RT , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Last August 2022 about a week after I picked up the new RTL I noticed the brake light was staying on even after the bike was turned off. Started moving the brake pedal and heard a faint click. As I looked under the foot board and engaged the brake pedal I could see that the plunger on the brake light switch was not releasing. When I tapped the switch the plunger clicked back into the switch turning the brake light off. I took it back to the dealer and they confirmed the issue and ordered a new brake light switch, took about 3 days to come in. I have had no issues since but since there was no recall at the time I will have to check to see if I have a new model switch or not.
    2022 RT Limited Petrol Blue Metallic Dark

Spyder Garage

Just spoke with BRP Canada and it looks like I am still on the brake light re-call list. In reading the re-call bulletin for the 2022 RTL they will replace the spring on the brake light switch.
    2022 RT Limited Petrol Blue Metallic Dark

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The pertinent Federal Regulation is in Title 49, paragraph 30120. I've bolded the part of direct interest to you. You have no choice but to wait for delivery, or convince the dealer to substitute a vehicle not subject to the recall, or rescind the sale at no cost to you.

(i) LIMITATION ON SALE OR LEASE OF NEW VEHICLES
    OR EQUIPMENT, OR RENTAL.—
    (1) IN GENERAL.—If notification is required
    by an order under section 30118(b) of this title
    or is required under section 30118(c) of this
    title and the manufacturer has provided to a
    dealer (including retailers of motor vehicle
    equipment) notification about a new motor vehicle
    or new item of replacement equipment in
    the dealer’s possession at the time of notification
    or the manufacturer has provided to a
    rental company notification about a covered
    rental vehicle in the company’s possession at
    the time of notification that contains a defect
    related to motor vehicle safety or does not
    comply with an applicable motor vehicle safety
    standard prescribed under this chapter, the
    dealer or rental company may sell, lease, or
    rent the motor vehicle or item of replacement
    equipment only if—
    (A) the defect or noncompliance is remedied
    as required by this section before delivery
    under the sale, lease, or rental agreement;

or
    (B) when the notification is required by an
    order under section 30118(b) of this title, enforcement
    of the order is restrained or the
    order is set aside in a civil action to which
    section 30121(d) of this title applies.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GS1 View Post
    Just put in my Vin and mines on the list, "F" ,now to find a dealer that I can trust, been down for almost 2 months with no riding and now maybe even longer
    The switch is very easy to replace yourself if you have minimal skills and want to avoid dealer downtime.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White