Spyder Garage

Default My instrument cluster died, Spyder starts & runs - any ideas?

I have a 2014 ST-S and when I stopped for gas today, the instrument cluster would not come on when I turned the key. I was able to start the bike, but I am getting no electronic output from the cluster. The LCD screen does not come on and none of the LEDs work for things such as Parking Brake, low fuel, oil, etc...are coming on. The needles work fine though, so I was able to ride, but now I have no idea how much gas I have left, nor can I see the odometer, gears, etc...

Is there a fuse or something for that? I am going to pop it out and have a look to see if the cable has come loose.
    AlphaJoe
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    2014 ST-S - Congnac
    LidLock helmet locks
    LAmonster Ram mount with X-Grip

Spyder Garage

So, a quick update. I let the bike sit for an hour and then went back out and tried it. It came right on with no issue. Not sure what happened, other than I noticed when I got gas that I had accidentally turned the key back to the on position and it was on the whole time while I was filling the tank. I was having trouble because I was at Costco and they have those new handles that have sensors that detect if the handle is in good and require you to really push down to get the gas to flow and it was giving me a hard time. So the key was sitting there on for a longer time than I usually leave it.
    AlphaJoe
    2014 ST-S - Congnac
    LidLock helmet locks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Word to the wise, get your battery load tested and check all terminals. Check in the fuse boxes for moisture or corrosion.
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

Do you use a battery tender? When the bike started, did it struggle at all? Spyders are extremely temperamental to voltage. If the battery is low, or a cable is lose it can cause all sorts of annoyances. Also, you mentioned unseating the dash plug and reseating which leads me to assume you know how to do that - I would still highly recommend that. The only thing leaving it on for an extended period (while pumping gas) would do - is lessen the battery voltage - which is why I ask about the battery.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jdr00ejr View Post
    Do you use a battery tender? When the bike started, did it struggle at all? Spyders are extremely temperamental to voltage. If the battery is low, or a cable is lose it can cause all sorts of annoyances. Also, you mentioned unseating the dash plug and reseating which leads me to assume you know how to do that - I would still highly recommend that. The only thing leaving it on for an extended period (while pumping gas) would do - is lessen the battery voltage - which is why I ask about the battery.
    I don't use a tender, it is pretty warm down here year-round and I ride every day for the most part. The bike started without any issues, but it has been a couple of years since I had to get a new battery. If it's the battery, usually what will happen is when I start the bike the LCD screen will reset. That is my first clue that the battery is going. If I keep milking it, the steering assist will start to go. That is my final cue to hurry up and get a battery before it becomes difficult to start. And yes, I have milked it to that point.

I will go ahead and order a new battery so I will be ready if this happens again.
    AlphaJoe
    2014 ST-S - Congnac
    LidLock helmet locks