Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

A 50cc scooter.what a joke the license boy said now go home and ride your bike.at the time had a 650 Yamaha.(after i passed)
    2019 F3 Limited Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Took the test in Washington State on my (near new) 1984 Kawasaki Vulcan 700cc. The DMV test lot had spots painted where they placed the test cones. I practiced the riding test after hours before taking the test. This was after many years of off road (and not-licensed on road) riding my Yamaha 250 Enduro.....
    Last edited by canamjhb; 03-21-2023 at 10:53 PM.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peacekeeper6 View Post
    Many, MANY years ago, in my 20s, I decided to get a motorcycle. I figured I'm grown up enough and can ride a bike despite my parent's disapproval.

So when I moved to FL and researched what a good beginner street bike would be. I bought a brand new Kawasaki Ninja 250R (as though the "R" would add another 20 hp and make it faster) and practiced on it. I basically knew the principles of clutching/upshifting/downshifting/rev matching, etc. because I had a Honda XR200 dirt bike I tooled with in the woods. Anyway, it didn't take me long to get the hang of riding out in the street with vehicles ready to run me off the road, and not long after I bought it, I took the motorcycle riding test offered by the Florida DMV, which I passed with flying colors the first time.

I remember during one part of the test, we had to weave through a series of cones about 10(?) feet apart in an "S" pattern. With my small, nimble bike, I easily whipped though that test like Ingemar Stenmark on a slalom course. When I was waiting for others to try it, there was a guy on HUGE Harley bagger ready to try his luck. He made the first turn, then struggled to make a second turn, and by the third turn he hit a cone and dropped his bike, which resulted in an instant fail.

When I look back at my first bike, I didn't realize that I would easily "outgrow" it. I should've gotten something bigger in the 600cc range as my first street bike ....
    Pk6...

Got my first MC@7yo. Been riding before that. Took my MC endorsement, written and driving test a week after my 16th BD on a borrowed CB360. Didn't want to use my dad's HD. Did study for the written. Didn't bother getting a permit. That was 49.5yrs ago.

Five yrs ago for 3 wheel endorsement. Took State sponsored Can-Am course on their machines. Tried all the 2018 Spyder models at the training. Bought my own two weeks later.

Regards,

Don
    2017 F3T , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

1972 honda 350 twin
    2015 RTL SE6

Spyder Garage

1982, New York, Kawasaki 1000 CSR
    2022 Spyder RT-Limited, Petrol Metallic, Dark
    2022 RT-L , Petrol Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    The 2013 RT was the worst Spyder BRP has built, in my opinion. Still, with some fixes, it can be a great ride.
    Ron, my wife would totally agree with you. After the White Elephant stranded us for (I think) the fifth time, she refused to get on it ever again. The ultimatum was "get rid of it and buy a Gold Wing". Fortunately, we got our current ride, and it has been flawless for five years. Sometimes we get a good one.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

1964 Honda 90 street bike - junior in high school. Drove it home from the dealer and was never on a m/c before this one.

Spyder Garage

I took my Kawasaki 90 for the road test. That was in 1980. WOW, I’m old. Aced the course. Came home and took my Kawasaki 250 triple street bike for a long ride.�� Five years later I was grandfathered in on any cc bike.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-21-2023 at 07:13 PM. Reason: coarse (rough, or low quality) - course (route, or program) ;-)
    2022 Spyder RTL- Chrome , Larger brake pedal Deep Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

I took the test on a 1970 Bridgestone 100. It was in a gravel parking lot at the DMV.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In 1963 (I think) on a Honda 50.

Spyder Garage

1980 Suzuki GS 550L. Bought it brand new having never even ridden a motorcycle of any size or orientation. Took and passed the test after a month of "self training".
    Skip H.
    '21 Can Am Spyder F3 S
    '97 Honda Goldwing w/Hannigan Astro 2+2 sidecar

[img]

Spyder Garage

Sometime in the mid 70's on my brothers CB 350. Then I didn't ride for another 40 years till about 2016.

image_2023-03-21_220929598.jpg
    2019 BMW C650GT, 2010 Spyder RT-S, 2009 BMW R1200RT,(sold) 2009 Honda Silverwing (Sold), 2009 Kawasaki 500 Vulcan (Sold)

\
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

I rode for many years with No Driving License , went through several motor cycles, But... I took my Driving Test about mid 1980's on a 1974 GT750 Suzuki ( water buffalo ) Water Cooled 3 cyl. 2 stroke street bike . and through the years I owned 11 Water Buffalo's ... I Loved them . wish I had one now.
    2011 RTS Spyder

Spyder Garage

Utah did not grandfather current riders in, so I rode to the exam and took it on my 1969 Norton Fastback Commando.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I did not ride a bike or take a test to get my first m/c endorsement. I moved from Idaho to Illinois in 1982. At that time Idaho did not have a m/c endorsement. I went to the Illinois DMV to get my IL license. The lady told me the reciprocity agreement with Idaho included a m/c endorsement. Did I want it? I said, "Sure." I didn't even have a m/c at the time. Have had an endorsement ever since!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

675 Triumph Daytona! Goes like a cut cat on steroids and corners like Haunted Snot.

Nah not really.

BSA Bantam. Mid 70's

Something like this.
    x48BSA-Bantam-L.jpg.pagespeed.ic_.o5Sgu0YHRn.jpg

My first bike was a BSA Bantam 2 stroke. It was a barn find in an Orchard I used to work at in the weekend on the 70,s.

The owner bloke and an Engineer from next door allowed me to bring it into the workshop and tutored me on how to get it sorted and running. They made me do the work but supervised. I had no idea but learnt fast. This was mostly after school and on Sundays.

Then once running I found out all about having to get a Licence and stuff from a local cop who said hello (and gave me a growling ) at every opportunity. One day I was able to say . Yes Sir here is my Licence and the bikes Registration. No growling and he gave me a Minty Lolly. Then gave me a lecture about my speed in town. haha.

I guess he was an ok guy looking back.
    Last edited by Isopedella; 03-21-2023 at 11:26 PM.

Spyder Garage

1964 Honda S90. The S stood for sport. Never heard of a street 90. This was the first year of production and was part of the "you meet the nicest people on a Honda" campaign. It was incredibly easy to work on. single cylinder, air cooled. kick or push start in 2nd gear. draw back was you couldn't go long distances in hot weather. she would overheat and stall until it cooled down. I remember many a walk with my baby waiting for her to cool down enough to ride again. pulled my first wheelie on her. Great memories............... thanks for asking. 12-1514054345730.jpg
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

1973 at age 16, one week after I got my DL. The bike was my 1972 Honda XL250.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Never had an issue with our '13 Spyder.
    Took the test on a 175 Honda, at that time also had to bring a car with driver so the officer could follow me.

Spyder Garage

If remember a 1968 Honda 305 ? It has been a long time ago

2017 F3 LTD (SOLD)
    2017 HD Freewheeler (SOLD)
    2021 RT Base Upper and lower adjustable deflectors , Top case, Signature and lower lights, Baja Ron Bar, Back rest,Fobo TPMS, Garmin 396 , LED Fender lights, Rear LED turn and brake lights, Rear Brake light flasher, Rear Saddle bag LED lights, Battery tender, Lamonster Handle Bar Riser.

Spyder Garage

I was a late bloomer myself. I had ridden bikes and 4 wheelers but without a license. (No license needed for 4 wheelers as they are not street legal in Ga.)
    I didn't get a bike or a license until I got my 2020 RTL.

I took the BRB class so I didn't have to take a riding test in Ga. I showed them my certificate gave them my money and that was about it.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Peoples Republic of Calif. Upper Mojave Desert
    Spyder Garage

A 1970 HT1 Yamaha Enduro, in 1970. I was 14. Have not taken another riding test since. Had to re-do the written portion some 10 years ago, for what ever reason, missed like 15 out of 25...... all were stupid, crash read their book on the spot, managed to pass it then.Jimmy & 90 Enduro2.jpg
    2021 RT LT

Spyder Garage

1964 Ducati 50cc street bike. NJ test involves a written test, zig-zag thru cones, accelerate and emergency stop without passing the last 'stop line'.
    Currently, if you take the test on less than a 250cc, you get a limited license for up to 500(?)cc.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Old Honda CT90. Good for 4 Honda bikes (CT90 & 3 big Goldwings), then along came the Spyder and had to test all over again (after a "fun filled day" of classroom and riding instructions that really wasn't designed for the Spyders' "computer controls brain", but we got thru it by showing the instructors that the Spyder wouldn't shift into higher gears at low speeds (for a braking test).
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

Like several others here, took test on a 72 CB350. Towed it to test site on a trailer, took test and then towed it home. That was in 1977 and they won't let you do that now. At least not in Maryland.